HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
What they need to do is demolish the whole damn thing and build a real stadium that doesn't require temporary seating. Stop wasting money on this 80 year old thing and build a retractable dome stadium. I know it's a lot more expensive to construct at first, but seriously the operating costs overall are probably equal to or less than what it costs to repair and add on to that piece of shit every year.
I am glad to see that they are making improvements to the stadium. I have the feeling that these "temporary seats" will probably be there for several years. You don't drop $14 million on temporary seats for just a season or two. The reality is that there is just no funding available in the public and private sectors to build a $250 million outdoor stadium or $600 million indoor stadium right now. Mayor Fiacco was the driving force pushing for a new stadium and he is not running for re-election (maybe because he doesn't want to have to deal with the non-stadium issue for the next few years) and there is nothing that says the new Mayor will be as passionate about building a new stadium. Hopefully these renovations should hold us for awhile.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 1:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welkin View Post
I am glad to see that they are making improvements to the stadium. I have the feeling that these "temporary seats" will probably be there for several years. You don't drop $14 million on temporary seats for just a season or two. The reality is that there is just no funding available in the public and private sectors to build a $250 million outdoor stadium or $600 million indoor stadium right now. Mayor Fiacco was the driving force pushing for a new stadium and he is not running for re-election (maybe because he doesn't want to have to deal with the non-stadium issue for the next few years) and there is nothing that says the new Mayor will be as passionate about building a new stadium. Hopefully these renovations should hold us for awhile.
Really? The BC Lions did basically the same thing, build temporarily until the new project is done, which will be 2016 by all reports. Also your comments about there being no public funds is complete nonesense and without validity.

That said, the fact that they are installing temporary seats pretty much confirms that they are building new, this is merely an avenue to bring in more revenue over the next 4 years, distribute seating to sports facilities around the province, improve the game day experience, and to make sure GC13 isn't a logistical nightmare. This is a win/win for all involved!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 1:29 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Yes.. you're right... it is for a few years. It says so in the articles and videos. It will last until 2016 or so when the new stadium is complete . And I still love how the budget keeps ballooning whenever people talk about it. $480 has become $600 in the span of a year, even though we really don't know what the cost would be as the design will most likely be different.

And for the love of God, can we please just wait until they flesh this out/negotiate/actually release information before we just declare that "there is no funding available"? The pessimism really is rather depressing.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Really? The BC Lions did basically the same thing, build temporarily until the new project is done, which will be 2016 by all reports. Also your comments about there being no public funds is complete nonesense and without validity.
The BC Lions did not spend $14 million for a temporary stadium. The public entity that runs BC Place spent that money for both the Lions and the Whitecaps while BC Place was under renovation (it was probably part of their $560+ million renovation budget). Obviously Vancouver can afford a lot more than Regina, and they could easily pay for a $14 million temporary solution while they were working on their renovation. Vancouver also had no problem coming up with the funding for their renovation.

Regina has been trying since March or 2010 to put together some sort of public private funding package for the new stadium with no success. Expecting new stadium construction to start in 2013 and finish by 2016 is ludicrous, especially since we don't have a design, we don't have funding and we will no longer have our main cheerleader in Mayor Fiacco. This "temporary" renovation offers the Riders a good solution for the Grey Cup and it helps out until Regina ever gets its stadium project off the ground. Who cares if we will still be using it 6 years from now. I am glad (and pleasantly surprised) to see them invest the money because it should be good for the Riders. They should have done something like this years ago.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 2:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The BC Lions did not spend $14 million for a temporary stadium. The public entity that runs BC Place spent that money for both the Lions and the Whitecaps while BC Place was under renovation (it was probably part of their $560+ million renovation budget). Obviously Vancouver can afford a lot more than Regina, and they could easily pay for a $14 million temporary solution while they were working on their renovation. Vancouver also had no problem coming up with the funding for their renovation.

Regina has been trying since March or 2010 to put together some sort of public private funding package for the new stadium with no success. Expecting new stadium construction to start in 2013 and finish by 2016 is ludicrous, especially since we don't have a design, we don't have funding and we will no longer have our main cheerleader in Mayor Fiacco. This "temporary" renovation offers the Riders a good solution for the Grey Cup and it helps out until Regina ever gets its stadium project off the ground. Who cares if we will still be using it 6 years from now. I am glad (and pleasantly surprised) to see them invest the money because it should be good for the Riders. They should have done something like this years ago.
No offence but you have no idea what you are talking about. This is basically the exact same thing that Lions did, and last time I checked Saskatchewan is doing pretty good financially so yes they can afford it, unless of course you think Manitoba is richer than Saskatchewan. That said, do you honestly think temporary stands are the permanent solution? Have you read any of the press clippings today from the stakeholders? Cmon man use your head.

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Mos...839/story.html

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 2:36 AM

Oh no???

Quote:

I suggest you check your facts, sir:

from the Vancouver sun:

Fans ‘literally going to be right on top of the players’ during 2010 turn at CFL team’s new home

By Bruce Constantineau, Vancouver Sun - April 29, 2010 5:55 PM

Quote:
The new facility is scheduled to open June 15 and the Lions play the first game there just five days later.

The temporary venue built on the site of old Empire will host the Lions this season and both the Lions and Whitecaps for part of their 2011 seasons before they move into a renovated BC Place, scheduled for completion between mid-July and early September next year.

BC Place general manager Howard Crosley dismissed suggestions the $14-million facility has been deliberately made to appear less than ideal so fans won’t get too attached to the site with the spectacular North Shore mountain views.

The galvanized metal roof that covers half the spectators will be sprayed with grey primer and nothing else, while portable toilets will be used almost exclusively on the stadium’s east side.

“Of course we want people to go back to BC Place but we’re going to make this as good as we can, within budget, because we don’t want to do anything that would hurt Lions or Whitecaps ticket sales,” Crosley said.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 2:48 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The BC $14M temp stadium (built with post Olympic seating which saved costs) was part of the $564M refurbishment budget. Not seeing how the two are related though, one was built because it had to be, this appears to be a temp upgrade and not a necessity.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 3:01 AM

I been hearing this being thrown around here about how we have yet been able to find anyone in the private sector to come on board but the mayor has said before that couple groups have came forward with plans and the city is now in the process of reviewing them . So I think by saying that nobody has came to the table is not really fair to me it sound like the city is doing there due diligence going over each proposals to see which one fits and also what we can afford . Mayor said himself that he would never leave office if he felt this wont go though he is even backing are soon to be new mayor Micheal Fougere who's also on broad with this project and most of city council. The detail will come out just not in the super sonic speeds that we would like to see it in . As for the upgrade it makes sense 2013 grey cup on its way attendance is up for now ! and as they said it temporary since if the stadium was to even start construction now it will take couple year to complete and we need something like mosaic for the short term I just wish they would have done this upgrade sooner.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skthunder77 View Post
I suggest you check your facts, sir:

from the Vancouver sun:

Fans ‘literally going to be right on top of the players’ during 2010 turn at CFL team’s new home

By Bruce Constantineau, Vancouver Sun - April 29, 2010 5:55 PM
Isn't what you've linked absolutely confirming what Welkin said?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Isn't what you've linked absolutely confirming what Welkin said?
I didn't dispute that it was part of a bigger budget...but he claimed that they didn't spend 14 million on a temporary stadium when 14 million dollars of the budget was exactly to build a temporary stadium...not sure what I am missing...then again, it's been a long week and I am tired. Sorry if I missed the point completely...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 3:30 AM

Quote:
I didn't dispute that it was part of a bigger budget...but he claimed that they didn't spend 14 million on a temporary stadium when 14 million dollars of the budget was exactly to build a temporary stadium...not sure what I am missing...then again, it's been a long week and I am tired. Sorry if I missed the point completely...
He claimed that the BC Lions didn't spend 14 million, BC Place did. Which your article kinda confirms since it is the General Manager of BC Place talking about the expenditure.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
No offence but you have no idea what you are talking about. This is basically the exact same thing that Lions did, and last time I checked Saskatchewan is doing pretty good financially so yes they can afford it, unless of course you think Manitoba is richer than Saskatchewan. That said, do you honestly think temporary stands are the permanent solution? Have you read any of the press clippings today from the stakeholders? Cmon man use your head.

http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Mos...839/story.html
Migs it is good to have you back. We have missed your wild projections and indisputable inside information. According to you, they should have been laying the turf at the Multipurpose Sports and Entertainment Dome by now. Again, the Lions did nothing. The Lions landlord (BC Place) built a temporary place for the Lions and Whitecaps to play while their place was being renovated and was unavailable for use. This is a case of the Riders understanding that they will be in their current home just a while longer than they originally anticipated. I never said that this addition was a permanent solution, but anyone can see that it is much more than just adding a few extra seats for the Grey Cup. I would love to see a new outdoor stadium for the Riders. I just don't think I will see it by 2016.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Migs it is good to have you back. We have missed your wild projections and indisputable inside information. According to you, they should have been laying the turf at the Multipurpose Sports and Entertainment Dome by now. Again, the Lions did nothing. The Lions landlord (BC Place) built a temporary place for the Lions and Whitecaps to play while their place was being renovated and was unavailable for use. This is a case of the Riders understanding that they will be in their current home just a while longer than they originally anticipated. I never said that this addition was a permanent solution, but anyone can see that it is much more than just adding a few extra seats for the Grey Cup. I would love to see a new outdoor stadium for the Riders. I just don't think I will see it by 2016.
No offence to you man. It was the inability of the feds to come up with a stadium funding policy of whether to fund stadiums or not. If they had agreed there would have been shovels in the ground. I dont know why you have to pick on Guy. With that said $14 million is a drop in the bucket for the Riders. 7000 seats will generate alot of income for the team. Add the 50 000 seats for the 2013 season even more. I dont think a new stadium is far off. The riders are one of the most profitable teams in the CFL for one, per capita the fans are the most supportive, the economy is one of the best performing in north america, and foremost there is the will amongst the private sector and different levels of government as you will see in the coming months.

You folks in Winnipeg can take all the shots you want but the fact is that you spent 200 mil on a stadium that you cant afford and that you will get limited use out of it. Your government spending is our of control and debt is climbing at an alarming rate. At the rate you guys are going you will have a debt of about 20 bill in 5 years while sask will be debt free.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheal View Post
No offence to you man. It was the inability of the feds to come up with a stadium funding policy of whether to fund stadiums or not. If they had agreed there would have been shovels in the ground. I dont know why you have to pick on Guy. With that said $14 million is a drop in the bucket for the Riders. 7000 seats will generate alot of income for the team. Add the 50 000 seats for the 2013 season even more. I dont think a new stadium is far off. The riders are one of the most profitable teams in the CFL for one, per capita the fans are the most supportive, the economy is one of the best performing in north america, and foremost there is the will amongst the private sector and different levels of government as you will see in the coming months.

You folks in Winnipeg can take all the shots you want but the fact is that you spent 200 mil on a stadium that you cant afford and that you will get limited use out of it. Your government spending is our of control and debt is climbing at an alarming rate. At the rate you guys are going you will have a debt of about 20 bill in 5 years while sask will be debt free.
Debt free in Saskatchewan? What the hell? Maybe if things keep going at the rates they are, then maybe. But don't bet the farm just yet. The province is still $5Billion in Debt and things can go sour fairly quick in the province....

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 3:38 AM

More like $4 billion. A few years of high oil and potash prices and... poof. The problem has been stringing several of such years together. In 2008 debt was reduced $2.6 billion in one year.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 4:57 AM
Winnipeg Metro: 762 800

Exclamation Go Jets Go

Oh well at least we have an NHL team

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseJets View Post
Oh well at least we have an NHL team
Touchee! Hey, I was happy you guys got your team back! Now, it's just too bad you don't have a football team!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Touchee! Hey, I was happy you guys got your team back! Now, it's just too bad you don't have a football team!
They may not have a team, but they will soon have a brand new awesome stadium....

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 2:12 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
They may not have a team, but they will soon have a brand new awesome stadium....
Meh, I'm fine with taking our time and getting something better.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 5:36 AM

Stop the antics folks. No need to act like kids. My Regina ilk stop having little man syndrome with Winnipeg, and Winnipeg stop saber rattling us Regina folk.

Back to the issue at hand. I wish people would discuss facts. The fact of the matter is the biggest shareholder in this project is gone (Fiacco), the fact is The Riders are plunking cash into Mosiac since a facility won't be ready for the GC. In evrey situation where a new facility was coming owners let the current facility rot aside from a few cosmetic upgrades. Example: The old Orlando Magic Arena got 2 minor upgrades before they ditched it. Things like a new matrix board and such.

Again I still hold my position that the professionals whom are working on a new design/study will tell the City they are dumb for building a outdoor facility on prime downtown land (it will be outdoor and covered as both Winnipeg and Ottawa). So either we go with that site or a new one is picked. How can nobody see Fiacco is jumping ship before the bad news comes a shore, we have very little political history in Sask (its rich but not crazy dubious), Fiacoo can't make this thing happen but his buddy and construction board member Micheal sure will (and his construction buds will reap the rewards). Fiacoo can't get the thing to work, it would be difficult for him to sell Regina on anything else and the taxes needed to pay for it.

Stadiums are a sleazy game. You have to pay to play. There will be no handouts with our facility so if you want it with all the bells and whistles just be prepared to pay for it. With an election I can't see legitimate plans bubbling up until late this year/early next. A facility could be in place by 2018 if things get going in '14.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan