HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 4:35 AM
Hammer'd

CPR Holiday Train 2007

Anybody catch it tonight? It was at Kinnear Yard (opposite the South end of Gage Park) at 8-8:30pm. If you missed it, you can still catch it elsewhere in Southern Ontario (Cambridge, Woodstock and London tomorrow. Windsor on Thursday):

http://www8.cpr.ca/cms/English/Gener...t+-+Quebec.htm

"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 3:54 PM

I'd intended to see that but missed it. Thanks for taking those shots.

So is that all it is, a train with some Christmas lights on it? I thought they would have a band performing on the train or something like that.

They should do something really neat like hooking up some passenger cars and doing a tour through the city. They could start at the TH&B and continue eastward, making a stop at Gage Park, then back up and follow the route up the mountain. Showing people a view of the city from rails that haven't seen passenger use for 20 years would help spark an interest in rail travel and get people talking about the new VIA and GO coming our way. I'd pay to see that.

I'll try to pitch that idea to CP. They don't give a rat's ass about passenger rail, but who knows. The times are changing.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2008, 10:36 PM
Hammer'd

Yep they had a band that played out of a boxcar down the train a bit farther. I'm a train nerd though, so I stayed up by the power

I don't think they really have time to do anything like you've suggested, even though it is a nice idea. This stop was part of a schedule across Canada and the US Midwest. Even still, they did sit in Hamilton for the night before departing so they definitely could have done other locations.

I think we might get a change for the better once GO starts coming more frequently and we get that second station.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion