HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 12:39 AM

Difficult question - One way of expressing density is using FSR. So I was wondering what the density of Downtown Vancouver would be if we expressed it using FSR?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 1:08 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

You can't measure the density of downtown via FSR. FSR is a measure that's useful in comparing sites. It can be useful in comparing large areas that are a part of a area rezoning but that's about it. The FSR of downtown itself if one could calculate it would be a disappointing low number.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 1:25 AM

If you added up the total amount of property that each building sits on, then calculated the amount of floorspace, would that not give you an average FSR for DT Vancouver? Obviously you wouldn't include streets, sidewalks, parks,etc.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 1:36 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

If you were calculating the FSR of downtown though you would have to include all the area, parks, sidwalks, roads etc other wise you are asking for the average density of sites downtown which is a very different question and also practically impossible to answer. It would still be a low number, I'd venture a somewhere below 3.0

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 9:08 AM

Hmm... how much in population numbers did UBC Endowment Lands grow by?

And off-topic, but the province should really formalize the status of UBC Endowment Lands as a special municipality...

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan_kuan View Post
Hmm... how much in population numbers did UBC Endowment Lands grow by?

And off-topic, but the province should really formalize the status of UBC Endowment Lands as a special municipality...
Census tract for UEL:
2011: 12,777
2006: 10,831
http://www12.statcan.ca/census-recen...ustom=&TABID=2

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 3:43 AM

2011 census Vancouver city proper by neighbourhood:
http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/plannin...easpop2011.pdf

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 4:56 AM

In 40 years, downtown grew from the neighbourhood with the lowest population to the highest, and mostly in just the last twenty years.

Shaughnessy actually decreased in population over the same time period.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 3:41 PM

Interesting to see how similar the populations are of Downtown and Renfrew-Collingwood. Furthermore, it's very interesting to see how the West End has only the third highest population, and not the first as is frequently boasted by residents. Granted, population and population density are not the same by a long shot.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 4:03 PM

It does seem that the West End still holds the title of being our most densely populated neighbourhood when you consider its size in comparison to Downtown and Renfrew-Collingwood. I wonder if cutting Downtown up into the smaller constituent neighbourhoods of Yaletown, Gastown, Coal Harbour, etc. would change that.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 5:20 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Collingwood had the highest density of any neighbourhood including the west end and downtown south. Pricetags touched on this not to long ago. I am suprised to see how well Renfrew-Collingwood is doing as a whole though.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 7:05 PM

At its densest census area, the West End is 28,000 per sq km. Collingwood hits 36,000.

Areas of southwest Vancouver are at 1,200 per sq km; less dense than areas of Surrey even.

Marinate on that for a minute.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Collingwood had the highest density of any neighbourhood including the west end and downtown south. Pricetags touched on this not to long ago. I am suprised to see how well Renfrew-Collingwood is doing as a whole though.
The West End is by far still the most dense neighbourhood in the city. I got Collingwood at 5940.58 per sq km. Am I missing something?

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 1:24 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

You might be using the data for Renfrew-Collingwood and not just Collingwood on it's own.

Should be interesting with 3 additional towers going into the Collingwood section we could see them crack the 40K/sqkm before the next decade.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
You might be using the data for Renfrew-Collingwood and not just Collingwood on it's own.

Should be interesting with 3 additional towers going into the Collingwood section we could see them crack the 40K/sqkm before the next decade.
I was. I looked more into and I can't find any data supporting that Collingwood is approaching such density levels. Any links? Is it just the few blocks that have towers?

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 3:59 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The following post refers to a single cenus tract which has it at over 39K/sqkm. Don't know the origin of the 36K number.

http://pricetags.wordpress.com/2012/...-a-new-winner/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues