HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 8:17 PM
Nashville born and raised

Lease is now signed, and by that, I presume Highwoods out of Raleigh, NC will build and own and lease to Asurion, a home grown tech based company.

Per RUETERS ….

Quote:
Asurion is indirectly owned by NewAsurion Corp, whose ownership includes Madison Dearborn Partners, Providence Equity Partners, Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe, Berkshire Partners, the Canadian Pension Plan Investment Board and company management, according to a July (2015) Moody’s Investors Service Report.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 9:28 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilism View Post
They want to be in Nashville bad. Just like Major League Soccer did, which is why when Nashville threw its hat into the ring all of the other cities where fighting for only one expansion spot instead of two.

Major League Baseball knows that Nashville would raise their league's profile immensely. That is why they are throwing Nashville's name out there. They want Nashville to pursue an expansion team. It would be just like Major League Soccer where Nashville would have a lock on one of the teams and all of the other cities were fighting for the one remaining expansion team.
Really - "They want to be in Nashville bad?" How do you know that?

As cool as it would be, I'm not so sure (financially) that Nashville could support a MLB franchise in addition to a NFL, NHL, & MLS franchises. It already is the smallest market with three of the five major sports leagues. Only NY, LA, The Bay Area, Chicago, Dallas, Washington, Philadelphia, Boston, Minneapolis, and Denver would have more teams (all of whom are larger than Nashville - who has not quite reached 2 million in its metro).

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 1:46 AM

What is this area of The Gulch being called?

What is being built at 7th and Church?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 5:47 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post

As cool as it would be, I'm not so sure (financially) that Nashville could support a MLB franchise in addition to a NFL, NHL, & MLS franchises. It already is the smallest market with three of the five major sports leagues. Only NY, LA, The Bay Area, Chicago, Dallas, Washington, Philadelphia, Boston, Minneapolis, and Denver would have more teams (all of whom are larger than Nashville - who has not quite reached 2 million in its metro).
The MLB and other sport franchises not only consider current market size, but also future market potential as well as filling voids in their coverage area.

Nashville and Charlotte is where much of the rapid growth is poised to take place for the forseeable future, and organizations wants to get in on that momentum while things are hot. Furthermore, both cities would serve to tap into a huge geographical region that's not really served by any MLB teams right now (currently, there's nothing for MLB fans to cheer on between Atlanta and Cincinnati).

BTW, Milwaukee is the same size as both cities. If they can support a MLB team with a much slower projected growth rate, I have no doubt Nashville and Charlotte can also.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Because Major League Baseball is the one bringing up Nashville not the other way around. On top of that Major League Baseball knows that Nashville was just given a Major League Soccer franchise and yet they still brought up Nashville.

Companies and sports leagues don't care about population numbers as much as they do the internal demography of a population. High birth rates contribute to an increase in population. High birth rates usually means that less prosperous demographics are behind the increase in population. High end businesses and sports leagues would much prefer demographics with more disposable income than those with less disposable income.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
The MLB and other sport franchises not only consider current market size, but also future market potential as well as filling voids in their coverage area.

Nashville and Charlotte is where much of the rapid growth is poised to take place for the forseeable future, and organizations wants to get in on that momentum while things are hot. Furthermore, both cities would serve to tap into a huge geographical region that's not really served by any MLB teams right now (currently, there's nothing for MLB fans to cheer on between Atlanta and Cincinnati).

BTW, Milwaukee is the same size as both cities. If they can support a MLB team with a much slower projected growth rate, I have no doubt Nashville and Charlotte can also.
If Major League Baseball has to choose only one they would prefer Nashville. They know of Nashville's electricity. Like other entities they see Nashville as the big show. They also see all of the new buildings that have been built and I'm sure Nashville's chamber informs them of the more than 50+ ten story or more developments that are in the pipeline.

They see the business relocations. They see the entertainment entities bum rushing the city to get a piece of the pie. It's why Major League Soccer put Nashville ahead of all of the other cities that want an expansion franchise.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
That is true. But, Milwaukee has only two B5 sports teams with which to support. If you include a MLB team, Nashville will have four. I don't believe there is enough disposable income to support all of those in this city...at least as it stands right now.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 10:13 PM

There are quite a few more corporate HQs in Charlotte than in Nashville. Plus, the Charlotte metro is a good chunk bigger than Nashville.

I'm not saying it would never happen. But, I don't think the finances fall in Nashville's favor...today. There is not, in my opinion, enough disposable income to support four B5 teams in this city. Again, that is today. Not 10 to 20 years from now.

You are asking families to support 147 regular season B5 sport home games a year. That is a ton (and very expensive) for a city the size of Nashville. Currently, there are 49 B5 regular season home games per year (NHL + NFL).

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaTN View Post
What is this area of The Gulch being called?

Capitol View; a thirty acre development at the foot of the state capitol. The 10 story Hampton Inn should begin soon and that will complete the project with the exception of one lot owned by HCA and not scheduled to be developed for some time.

What is being built at 7th and Church?

The new Fred Thompson Federal Courthouse
Nice pictures, by the way....which I re-posted. I couldn't see yours.

Capitol View Plan

The Fred Thompson Federal Building. Excavation to begin very soon.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 4:45 AM

Three proposed projects took big steps towards eventually becoming realities.

1. Developers for a proposed 22 story Hyatt Brand hotel in the SoBro district have requested approval for re-aligning a street in front of the hotel so more space would be made available for the development. The developer, C. B. Ragland, owns the property on the other side of the street, also.

The lot...

The neighborhood in a few years...

2. The Northpoint Hospitality Company has closed the deal on the $6.55 million purchase of the land for two hotels. Phase I will be a 204 room hotel at SW corner of Church and 19th Ave. North.

3. Mayor Briley has endorsed to plan to sell a small pocket park on Church Street to a developer in exchange for a piece of land on James Robertson Parkway on which the money from the sale ($2 million) would go to building a small park. The City would then build a homeless center on second Avenue across from the new jail.

The developer has previously revealed his intention of building Nashville's new tallest, potentially up to 60 stories and 700 ft. per reports.

A possible view of the skyline from the west in five or so years...developed from a newschannel5 skyfive photo...

So a possible 12 story, 15 story, 22 story and a 60 story all took huge steps forward down the path towards reality this week.

now back to baseball...

Last edited by MidTenn1; Aug 2, 2018 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 6:29 AM
Closed account

Quote:
That is true. But, Milwaukee has only two B5 sports teams with which to support. If you include a MLB team, Nashville will have four. I don't believe there is enough disposable income to support all of those in this city...at least as it stands right now.
That's a fair point.

It it almost unprecedented for a city the size of Nashville to have 4 professional sports teams. Even Seattle and Atlanta only had 3 when they were of similar size back in the 1970s.

The closest comparison would be Detroit, which had 2.5 million people in its metro area by the 1940s and 4 teams (granted, it was also home to several of the largest and most profitable companies in the world at the time too).

That said, as someone else said, Charlotte only has the NBA and NFL plus a larger corporate presence, so it would be the more qualified candidate on paper for a MLB team between it and Nashville IMO.

Last edited by skyscraperpage17; Jul 30, 2018 at 1:08 AM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilism View Post
If Major League Baseball has to choose only one they would prefer Nashville. They know of Nashville's electricity. Like other entities they see Nashville as the big show. They also see all of the new buildings that have been built and I'm sure Nashville's chamber informs them of the more than 50+ ten story or more developments that are in the pipeline.

They see the business relocations. They see the entertainment entities bum rushing the city to get a piece of the pie. It's why Major League Soccer put Nashville ahead of all of the other cities that want an expansion franchise.
Yes. You make solid points. But, in all fairness, Nashville is not the only "big show" in the U.S. As an example, the not-so-little brother to my home town of SA, Austin, is experiencing a level (or three) higher growth than Nashville in the same (and more) sectors in which describe. In fact, they gave 30+ buildings, in downtown alone, which are either U/C, approved or proposed to exceed 300' in height (14 are going to exceed 450' tall). It's also bigger than Nashville and growing at twice its pace. So, there are other variables to consider.

I don't doubt major league sports would love to be where the millenials are...however, the financials have to work. It's no where near as easy as you think it is.

If Nashville had closer to 3 million people in its metro...it would be a no-brainer.

Last edited by ILUVSAT; Jul 30, 2018 at 7:57 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Yes. You make solid points. But, in all fairness, Nashville is not the only "big show" in the U.S. As an example, the not-so-little brother to my home town of SA, Austin, is experiencing a level (or three) higher growth than Nashville in the same (and more) sectors in which describe. In fact, they gave 30+ buildings, in downtown alone, which are either U/C, approved or proposed to exceed 300' in height. It's also bigger than Nashville and growing at twice its pace. So, there are other variables to consider.

I don't doubt major league sports would love to be where the millenials are...however, the financials have to work. It's no where near as easy as you think it is.

If Nashville had closer to 3 million people in its metro...it would be a no-brainer.
For whatever reason, some of which eludes me, Nashville is arguably the "It City."

Old Posted Jul 29, 2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
For whatever reason, some of which eludes me, Nashville is arguably the "It City."
YES! It is an "It City." However, to my point, it's not the only one! As much as I love it...let's be truthful here. Nashville is seeing a renaissance in image. But, it is not the only one seeing such a renaissance in this country.

My company believes as such...that's why I'm here. We see it's potential. And we're striking while the iron is hot. Is it sustainable, we shall see. Myself, and the company I represent, believe so.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2018, 11:12 PM

Not a skyscraper, but great infill for Nashville's Gulch district.
From the Nashville Post.

Quote:
Gulch master developer MarketStreet Enterprises released plans for a five-story neo-traditional mixed-use building to be located in the heart of the bustling district.
A fall start is eyed at the site, which has long served as a surface parking lot.
To be joined by a small public green space, the office and retail building will be called Three Thirty Three and sit at the northwest corner of the intersection of 11th Avenue South and Pine Street. The address is 329 11th Ave. S.
It is a nice addition in scale, usage and architecture, by Earl Swenson who designed several notable Gulch Buildings.

Nashville's Gulch District is the original and never will be duplicated in charm, hipness and just outright coolness with it's fine hotels, restaurants and shops. And there are at least seven other buildings up to 28 floors planned or rising in the district.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 1:58 PM

I must admit as someone who grew up in Nashville, I never thought the Gulch area would ever be developed in the manner that it has been and continues to be. It just seemed like it would always be some low-key light industrial looking area as part of downtown. SoBro, I could see changing. Germantown I could see growing. Mid-town I could see expanding. But the Gulch area and even parts of East Nashville I just never imagined that it would take off the way that it has. I think the Gulch development has been the biggest shock to the CBD. It just seemed like an area that would forever be lost and forgotten. But thankfully it was not. Now it is a thriving mixed development neighborhood in the CBD. Land that was desolate is now far more attractive and productive for the city. Now it looks like the North Gulch area is going to be developed even more now that NES has put several pieces of their land on the market.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 11:16 PM

Another one for the Gulch, 16 stories & 300 apartments.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texcitement View Post
Another one for the Gulch, 16 stories & 300 apartments.
That is the second of two projects on that corner revealed in the last couple of weeks. The other lot was bought by developers interested in building a Canopy brand hotel.

A map...

That now makes nine buildings proposed in that part of the Gulch (not including the 38 story Buckingham which is uncertain). The Gulch is hot!!!!!

A rendering of the building...

Last edited by MidTenn1; Aug 3, 2018 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Corrected locations

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 1:25 PM

Quote:
There are quite a few more corporate HQs in Charlotte than in Nashville. Plus, the Charlotte metro is a good chunk bigger than Nashville.

I'm not saying it would never happen. But, I don't think the finances fall in Nashville's favor...today. There is not, in my opinion, enough disposable income to support four B5 teams in this city. Again, that is today. Not 10 to 20 years from now.

You are asking families to support 147 regular season B5 sport home games a year. That is a ton (and very expensive) for a city the size of Nashville. Currently, there are 49 B5 regular season home games per year (NHL + NFL).
And yet here they are courting Nashville.

If what you say about population is true then Nashville shouldn't have any teams at all. Population can be the result of fuzzy math depending on how many counties depend on the city for jobs. But even still playing the population game, the NFL, NHL, and Major League Soccer still chose Nashville.

The number of corporate headquarters is like a p----g contest. Nashville is home to an abundance of local, regional, national, and global businesses. Major League Baseball knows this.

On top of that outside of the New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, and Chicago Cubs most stadiums are almost half empty on weekdays especially if the team is losing.

Nashville is box office. Nashville is a destination. That's why Major League Baseball wants to be in Nashville. Nobody wants to visit Charlotte, NC outside of a few misfits here and there. Whenever Charlotte, NC goes up against Nashville it loses. That's just a fact and Major League Baseball would be no different.

MLB knows this just like the NFL and NHL do. Nashville would get people viewing MLB that ordinarily would not because of Nashville's ability to draw massive numbers of people.

Last edited by cecilism; Aug 2, 2018 at 1:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 3:24 PM

Need some help please! Fill in the blanks and the sites referencing the info

Total office space downtown:
U/C office space:
Proposed office space:

Thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations