HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
70+ unit apartment building with a daycare and retail on Division (City Farm site)

Remember a long time ago when a developer proposed a ~20 story condo building across the street from where the new Cabrini-Green Target store is supposed to go? Of course not. That's when Lagrange actually produced decent towers. Anyway, that site is now for sale.
I like that Division proposal. Even as a midrise, it should have a good presence. The tower in the cancelled proposal is okay. I don't like all that greenspace. The building reminds me of Riverhouse in Grand Rapids a bit, although Riverhouse goes right up to the street, and has the freeway pass by pretty close behind

http://www.grriverhouse.com/exterior

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Northeastern El Centro Campus (Kimball & the Kennedy)
I'm glad the site doesn't include the HQ of Novak Construction (next door to the nw), which has on its roof the whimsical year-round lighted seasonal displays, especially throughout December. That's a fan favorite among family and friends when coming in on the Kennedy (and presumably to many Metra riders too).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Also, it looks like that sculpture in the Kimball plan is an exact replica of the one that went up in one of the new Burling uber mansions
Interestingly, if you look closely at that Burling/Armitage manse, it has a Novak Construction logo on a cornerstone. And as mentioned the new Northeastern El Centro is, suspiciously, right next to Novak Construction HQ. Maybe Novak is building El Centro and the mansion is Mr. Novak's new house, or something? The plot thickens...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 3:34 AM
TL;DR

It might just be a joke by the JGMA team, knowing the Novak connection. Or maybe Novak is trying to build good will in the neighborhood, so he's loaning the sculpture to an organization that happens to be opening up next to his offices. That way he can still see it every day, but doesn't have to deal with the neighbors complaining.

FWIW, I like the sculpture where it is. It's far more attractive than many of the precast Ye Olde Chateaus in that area, and it's a very unique element in the streetscape. Marshall Field's also suspended a giant piece of metal over the public right of way, but I don't see anyone complaining about that.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
a giant piece of metal over the public right of way
Why I am drawing a blank here.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 4:40 AM
TL;DR

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 5:03 AM

^ I eventually thought of that but forgot they were cantilevered so far out. But I don't see much relevance of those to the Novak sculpture situation..

Now about that new avatar... Should I counter with one of the old Kennedy Budweiser sign (if I can find it)? I never understood the "R E A D" thing by the way.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 5:29 AM
TL;DR

^^ READ is a prolific tagger in New Orleans. I really just wanted some gritty shotgun houses, the graffiti was a bonus.

Many of the complaints about the Burling/Armitage sculpture were issues of taste that were veiled in a complaint about safety. The only legal standing the neighbors had to challenge the sculpture was that it overhung the public sidewalk (and would, of course, eventually come crashing down killing a mother and her newborn) - but balconies, signage, and all kinds of other stuff frequently cantilevers over the sidewalk, especially in Chicago.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 5:52 AM

^ Had no idea about the sculpture ersatz complaints; now I understand why you brought up Field's.
Are there many balconies (at least, say, in new construction) that actually extend out over public property? If so I assume they aren't being forced to pay air rights usage.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 7:00 AM
TL;DR

New construction typically avoids it, but adaptive re-use projects often have to do this, especially for industrial/loft conversions. I don't think they pay the city rent per se, but they do have to get permission from CDOT, which probably comes attached with a fee.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 1:37 PM
BANNED

PS, drove by the construction site last night and notice "Novak Construction" market equipment on site. It appears they are the ones building it. Would make sense considering they'd have an edge bidding on the contract being neighbors and all. Travel can be a large expense to take into account when you've got supervisors and construction managers charging $100+/Hour and driving 30 minutes to and from HQ every day...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 1:44 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Yea, they're killing it.

Also, it looks like that sculpture in the Kimball plan is an exact replica of the one that went up in one of the new Burling uber mansions

Yes - I mentioned that in my post here. Thanks for the visual.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 2:19 PM

Have they released renderings or plans for the New City site?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 2:25 PM
tilted & shifted

^Not that I know. And considering the plan calls for 1000 parking spaces, you probably don't want to see it.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 3:48 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

The facade of a building and the property line aren't necessarily contiguous, even when the sidewalk comes all the way up to the building so I'd imagine that at least in the case of some buildings any balconies are still only over privately-owned property.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 3:53 PM
Urbane observer

Anything extending onto or over the public ROW must get an ordinance passed each year and pay a fee (usually $300 or so for a simple awning, but several thousand for something like the Palmer House awning on Monroe). The City Council Journal containing the ordinances—each with a drawing—is quite the study in amateur architectural draftsmanship.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 4:46 PM
TL;DR

Yeah - before the City Clerk switched to their new online system, I used to come across the permit applications routinely while browsing for PD filings.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 5:32 PM

Motor Row / McCormick Place Area redevelopment

An article today from the Chicago Reader.

Quote:
Out-of-towners are whisked in and out of the convention center by shuttle bus or taxi, few even thinking to take a look at the surrounding areas, the South Loop and Motor Row... But Gleichman is in a unique situation to change that. With her husband, Karl Norberg, they control the fates of at least six properties on South Michigan Avenue and 23rd Street in Motor Row, and they’re embroiled in a fight to keep another big piece of land on Cermak Road, as well.

If all the projects they’re working on come to pass, they could control a massive portion of one of the biggest new redevelopments to hit Chicago in years, creating restaurants, retail and thousands of hotel rooms for the horde of conventioneers who visit McCormick Place each year.

The site plan is from this Scribd document.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 7:11 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
^Not that I know. And considering the plan calls for 1000 parking spaces, you probably don't want to see it.
^ The renderings for the New City Y project have been around for a long time. Is there anything to suggest that the plan will change dramatically from what has already been proposed and approved by the city?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 7:29 PM

They are lowering the number of residences from 490 to 280. It means lower density (obviously) and will probably also result in a footprint that is smaller (with more surface parking) or a less height.
“The test of a great building is in the marketplace. The Marketplace recognizes the value of quality architecture and endorses it in the sales price it is able to achieve.” — Jon Pickard, Principal, Pickard Chilton

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 7:34 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
They are lowering the number of residences from 490 to 280. It means lower density (obviously) and will probably also result in a footprint that is smaller (with more surface parking) or a less height.
^ Less height I believe, but surface parking makes zero sense.

Looking at the original site plan, by cutting the residential in half I can see the apartment tower being shrunk. The amount of retail, however, is staying about the same. Where are you going to get room for 1000 surface parking spaces?

Hell, you'd probably have to fill the entire 8.2 acre lot in order to do that, and I'm doubtful that even that is enough space.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development