HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 10:11 PM
Back to Basics

The artist has not made the windows slant inwards as they will (as shown in the above photos from the observation level under construction.)

Sad that they envision all that floating, holographic advertising blocking the view... The view from the mezzanine level especially. After all, the view is the whole reason you're up there.

If you are going to employ transparent displays, I suggest they install window-sized Samsung transparent displays. Which (with eye-tracking video cameras) could display augmented reality for each observer to show place names; building names; historic facts and various highlights of each view... Not advertising. Advertising has its place in a modern world but keep it on the inner walls... Not the windows.

The future is here... There is no reason such a high profile observation deck will not enlist the latest in technology. It will just be sad if all you get is a pamphlet when you get up there.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 10:12 PM

So is the observatory officially being called "One World Observatory"? I'd rather they stick with the original "Top of the World" moniker.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 10:19 PM

Excellent photographs!!

I can't think of a better thread to make my inaugural post on!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 10:31 PM

Just saw ice crash down walking vesey toward church. Think it was from 1WTC?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 10:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
So is the observatory officially being called "One World Observatory"? I'd rather they stick with the original "Top of the World" moniker.

Doesn't matter, as long as you can "see forever"...

http://www.governor.ny.gov/press/031...servation-Deck

Quote:
The winning design for One World Observatory, submitted by Legends, will take visitors on a dynamic journey that tells the story of New York City and One World Trade Center as guests ascend to the top of the iconic skyscraper to enter the observation deck.

One World Observatory will provide visitors with spectacular views of New York City and the surrounding region from 1,250 feet high in the air. The venue is projected to draw an estimated 3.8 million annual visitors to the top of what is the tallest building in New York and soon will be the tallest structure in the Western Hemisphere.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 10:35 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Falling Ice Closes World Trade Center PATH Station
Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013 | Updated 6:29 PM EDT

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...FlowFB_NYBrand

Quote:
Police have temporarily closed the World Trade Center PATH station after ice began falling from a crane at the 1 World Trade Center building.

New Jersey-bound PATH commuters are advised to take the train from the 6th Avenue or 33rd Street station.

© 2013 NBCUniversal Media, LLC. All rights reserved.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 10:49 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Saw that on the news. Nice aerial of the ring taking shape.

timothysschenck

angela n

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 11:20 PM

that base looks nothing like the tower..

Old Posted Mar 19, 2013, 11:35 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaguir3 View Post
that base looks nothing like the tower..
Agreed

After their original plan to use that crystal-cut glass failed, they should have just clad the base with the same glazing as above, with fake animated lighting behind to appear like offices. The lights could be on timers to appear random and match the overall look of the building depending on the time of day.

Quote:
One World Observatory will provide visitors with spectacular views of New York City and the surrounding region from 1,250 feet high in the air. The venue is projected to draw an estimated 3.8 million annual visitors to the top of what is the tallest building in New York and soon will be the tallest structure in the Western Hemisphere.
Not by a long shot. The Governor better check his facts. The CN Tower will still be the tallest freestanding structure in the Western Hemisphere, standing 28 feet 5 inches taller and several TV antennas will be taller still as the tallest structures.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 12:17 AM
Mr. Technology

As it turns out, Donald Trump had proposed his own World Trade Center:

WTC by TechTalkGuy, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
As it turns out, Donald Trump had proposed his own World Trade Center:

WTC by TechTalkGuy, on Flickr
We knew that a long time ago, but then, it's still intresting what that wigged muppet can come out with some times.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 12:50 AM
Come As You Are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
Agreed

After their original plan to use that crystal-cut glass failed, they should have just clad the base with the same glazing as above,
It's impossible to have diagonals with the fins.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 12:57 AM
New Yorker for life

Maybe they should have put a roller coaster up there, soak up even more dollars from the tourists....

http://www.northjersey.com/columnist...ound_Zero.html

Kelly: Spire reaching new heights above Ground Zero

March 19, 2013
By MIKE KELLY

Quote:
They call it the “dog house.”

It’s more like a bird’s nest for humans.

Atop the new World Trade Center tower — almost 100 feet above its 1,368-foot-high roof — sits a temporary steel platform where workers are assembling pieces of a steel spire that will rise a total of 408 feet to become the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere. To get there, you take several elevators, then make a final ascent by climbing 12 unenclosed flights of stairs into the crisp air. Think of it as a ladder on steroids – all part of a plan for a tower that will eventually rise 1,776 feet to commemorate the year of America’s Declaration of Independence.

But for those who come here, the instructions are as simple as using a ladder to check the gutters on a two-story house. “Don’t look down,” said Port Authority Deputy Executive Director Bill Baroni, as he climbed with me up the stairs to the dog house last week. “Just keep moving.”

Only a handful of workers make this climb each day. And no one seems to know why the place was nicknamed the “dog house.” What they enter is a rare world where the wind seems to blow relentlessly and the view on a clear day extends from Paterson to Long Island. It’s the only place in New York City where you can look down on the Empire State Building. Or as Baroni, a former Republican New Jersey assemblyman and state senator who lives in Hamilton, noted as he gazed at the Empire State’s iconic spire: “You’re a quarter-mile up.”

The tower – known officially as 1 World Trade Center and unofficially as the “Freedom Tower” – sits about 100 feet from the footprint of the north tower of the Twin Towers complex that was destroyed on Sept. 11, 2001.

The last key piece is the spire, a tubular structure that seems needle-like from a distance but is actually 10 feet wide and is hollow so workers can climb to the top to adjust wires or lights. Six of the 12 pieces are already in place – a process of affixing one tube atop another.

http://www.northjersey.com/photos/Ph...de_Center.html

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 20, 2013 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 1:16 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberia_6 View Post
Excellent photographs!!

Hey, welcome to the forum! I see you're a fellow Pennsylvanian, too.

Regarding Trump, what were his exact words, other than he pretty much called it a twisted piece of crap? That was before the design change, of course, and I loathed that thing with a passion!

I love seeing this building progress upward, and I can't wait for it to open.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 2:23 AM

When will they continue spire work?? And I like the name One World Observatory it doesnt have to be the same as top of the world.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 2:45 AM

Great to see my pics on here. I just love how the building is coming along. Cant wait for it to be completed and hopefully I can get up there and enjoy the view.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 3:38 AM
SWFC and ICC R Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberia_6 View Post
Excellent photographs!!

Welcome,, Awesome Avatar..Reminds me of my childhood

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
Agreed

After their original plan to use that crystal-cut glass failed, they should have just clad the base with the same glazing as above, with fake animated lighting behind to appear like offices. The lights could be on timers to appear random and match the overall look of the building depending on the time of day.

Not by a long shot. The Governor better check his facts. The CN Tower will still be the tallest freestanding structure in the Western Hemisphere, standing 28 feet 5 inches taller and several TV antennas will be taller still as the tallest structures.
I like the new base. I think if it were the same glass as the rest of the tower it would look boring.
Slip of the tongue. I think he meant tallest building.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 5:24 AM

I think the base cladding looks pretty damn good as is- I say leave the fins off.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 5:51 AM
Build Baby Build

The biggest and best moment for 1WTC this year will be when they begin testing the night lights on both the spire and the base. I think this structure will blow us away after everything is complete. The contrast between the base and the rest of the facade looks a lot better than the renders.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive