HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted May 31, 2022, 5:58 AM
A before E

Wow, I used to wonder what this would look like back in 2006 when I was waiting at the streetcar stop to go to college. Great to finally see something happen with this site.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2022, 8:37 PM

Drawings [43 MB] and Staff Report for a project at the SW Corner of Intersection: NW 17th Avenue and NW Couch Street

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jul 4, 2022, 5:03 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Drawings [43 MB] and Staff Report for a project at the SW Corner of Intersection: NW 17th Avenue and NW Couch Street
I have to say, I am a sucker for these small lot infill buildings that mimic old school brick apartment buildings.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 10:02 PM

Couple updates:

Early Assistance for 2631 NW Upshur St (currently the Elysian Garden Apartments at NW Upshur, between 26th & 27th):
Quote:
New 5-Story multi-family residential building over1 level of below grade parking. Total building will be 177,459 gross sf (138,838 sf FAR), 150-170 units, plus residential amenities. Inclusionary Housing will be triggered and provided on-site at standard rates. Stormwater treatment is anticipated on-site via dry wells located in below grade parking level.
Permits are now under review at 2375 NW Savier St (former US Post Office site) for the "Thesis Office Building":
Quote:
PDOX - NEW 4 STORY OFFICE BUILDING WITH EXTERIOR COURTYARD AND PARKING LOT, ASSOCIATED SITE IMPROVEMENTS. w/22-116388-MT *DEMO SEPARATE*

The Dove Lewis Expansion at 1947 NW Overton St is now under review:
Quote:
New 3-story office building with basement parking and associated onsite improvements. Floors 1 and 2 will be occupied by Dove Lewis Animal Hospital. Third floor will be unfinished core and shell space for future tenant. **w/22-135329-MT, 22-135337-CO
The Pettygrove Apartments at 1910 NW Pettygrove St (19th & Pettygrove) are now Approved to Issue:
Quote:
New 7 story, 126 unit mixed use apartment building and associated site work W/20-148905-MT
Building permits were issued in early June for the North 18 Apartments at 1784 NW Northrup St:
Quote:
Construction of a new 6 story apartment building (5 over 1) with 124 units, a tenant gym, common areas and coffee shop on the main floor (w/ 20-161120-MT).

Last edited by pdxsg34; Aug 30, 2022 at 4:53 AM.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 10:57 PM

A rendering in the Portland Business Journal (subscription needed) of the upcoming Thesis headquarters in NW Portland, 2350 NW Savier. To be completed 2023. A nice replacement for the post office

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland...dquarters.html

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 3.37.16 PM by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 3.42.23 PM by Ryan Miller, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 11:04 PM

Just realized pdxsg34 posted a link to this rendering above... anyway it'll be a nice addition!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2022, 12:27 AM

The small wooden office complex burned last year.

https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/...did/?p=R198616

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 4:53 AM

The Northbound 30 Collaborative project on NW 29th/30th & Nicolai has several buildings currently under review, Additional renderings here: Link, Link:
Quote:
NORTHBOUND 30 APTS - BLDG 1 - New 5 story, 16-unit apartment building with private automated parking garage; includes associated site work *** w/22-175187-MT ***
Quote:
NORTHBOUND 30 APTS - BLDG 2 - New 5 story, 16-unit apartment building with private automated parking garage; includes associated site work *** w/22-175203-MT ***
Quote:
NORTHBOUND 30 APTS - BLDG 3 - New 5 story, 16-unit apartment building with private automated parking garage; includes associated site work *** w/22-175213-MT ***
Quote:
NORTHBOUND 30 APTS - BLDG 4 - New 5 story, 17-unit apartment building with private automated parking garage; includes associated site work *** w/22-175221-MT ***
Quote:
NORTHBOUND 30 APTS - BLDG 5 - New 5 story, 17-unit apartment building with private automated parking garage; includes associated site work *** w/22-148063-MT ***
Quote:
NORTHBOUND 30 APTS - BLDG 8 - New 5 story, 17-unit apartment building with private automated parking garage; includes associated site work *** w/22-122900-MT ***
Quote:
NORTHBOUND 30 APTS - BLDG 9 - New 5 story, 18-unit apartment building with private automated parking garage; includes associated site work *** w/22-170573-MT ***
There is also Early Assistance across the street to the east at 2142-2150 NW 29th Ave:
Quote:
Multi phase project: phase 1 = retaining wall improvements at existing URM walls at east side of property along the NW Wardway ROW and excavation of southern side of site for future addition, phase 2 = 2 story addition at north side of existing buildings, phase 3 = 3 to 4 story addition at south side of lot.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopdx View Post
The small wooden office complex burned last year.

https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/...did/?p=R198616
Quote:
5 story mixed use building with ground floor retail, basement parking, and approximately 20 residential condominium or apartment units. Parking will be provided in a basement garage. We are anticipating 35 parking stalls on site. Stormwater disposal is not yet determined. This is a non-contributing resource in the Alphabet Historic District.
Sera is the applicant...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 10:29 PM

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 11:20 PM

Drawings [20 MB] for the adaptive reuse / addition to the former Northwest Cultural Center at 1819 NW Everett.

Personally, I don't care for the design of the new building at all, but think the plans for the historic building show a lot of potential.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Drawings [20 MB] for the adaptive reuse / addition to the former Northwest Cultural Center at 1819 NW Everett.

Personally, I don't care for the design of the new building at all, but think the plans for the historic building show a lot of potential.
Not what I was expecting at all. A fairly large spa in the Cultural Center and a social "Club/Event Space" on the upper floors? I'm dying to know what flag the hotel will carry. Only 80 rooms and looks high end. I don't love the new hotel building but I think the neighborhood will approve.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 3:40 AM

The hotel rendering:

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Not what I was expecting at all. A fairly large spa in the Cultural Center and a social "Club/Event Space" on the upper floors? I'm dying to know what flag the hotel will carry. Only 80 rooms and looks high end. I don't love the new hotel building but I think the neighborhood will approve.
Just looking at the drawings and descriptions, this looks likely to be an Independant Boutique Hotel and the Cultural Center layout looks to be used primarily for event space/conference, which a lot of Downtown hotels feature. Definitely an interesting development that I'll be keeping an eye on. Founders Developments work on some pretty big projects.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 4:06 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Actually, NW Portland neighbors and planning committee folks at yesterday's DAR by the Landmarks Commission did not like the latest version of the new quarter-block hotel building nor did the City staff. So it is refreshing to know that the Landmarks Commission sent the architects back to the drawing board. Actually the designers had presented a more coherent new hotel design earlier in the summer, but the Landmarks Commission had requested a more prominent corner with an entrance at that location, so we can see how that made the design go off track.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Actually, NW Portland neighbors and planning committee folks at yesterday's DAR by the Landmarks Commission did not like the latest version of the new quarter-block hotel building nor did the City staff. So it is refreshing to know that the Landmarks Commission sent the architects back to the drawing board. Actually the designers had presented a more coherent new hotel design earlier in the summer, but the Landmarks Commission had requested a more prominent corner with an entrance at that location, so we can see how that made the design go off track.
I just saw this in the NW Examiner's October edition. I'm thinking this was the original hotel plan?

https://nwexaminer.com/

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 7:14 PM

Yesterday was their first meeting in front of the Landmarks Commission. They must have made revisions based on what they heard (or thought they heard) from a planner.

Northwest has lots of great precedents for buildings with this approximate massing, and typically the entrance is at the center of the most prominent facade. I know planners love celebrating a corner, but I don't think I can think of any historic buildings in Northwest with the entrance at the corner...?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 4:21 PM

Quote:
but I don't think I can think of any historic buildings in Northwest with the entrance at the corner...?
I'm not sure what'd be considered historic, but these are a handful of old buildings: 1639 NW Glisan, 1640 NW Irving, 1700 NW Marshall, 1801 NW Northrup, 431 NW 21st, 1201 NW 21st, 1400 NW 22nd, 2300 NW Thurman, 333 NW 23rd, 638 NW 23rd, 701 NW 23rd, 801 NW 23rd, 831 NW 23rd, 950 NW 23rd, 1001 NW 23rd, 1137 NW 23rd, 1438 NW 23rd, 1848 NW 23rd, 2390 NW Quimby, 1900 NW 27th.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 5:20 PM

I didn't make it through the entire list on a Google Maps tour of Northwest, but the first half is mostly streetcar era retail buildings, which is a pretty different typology than what I was talking about. Admittedly, there aren't a lot of old apartment buildings in Northwest with ground floor retail (even on NW 21st, the 4/5 story apartment buildings mostly have residential units at the ground floor), but the whole treatment of that corner is pretty hard to find a precedent for in the district.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2022, 3:54 PM

Quote:
A Great Save for Northwest Portland?

New life for the landmark old First Church of Christ Scientist in Northwest Portland will be as a venue for food, drink, exercise and public events as a companion to a new five-story hotel behind it.

The Portland Historic Landmarks Commission got its first look at the preliminary plans and spoke highly of the proposed effort to restore the beaux-arts church dating to 1909. However, the panel expressed some reservations about design of the hotel to be erected on the adjoining quarter-block parking lot.

Andrew Becker, a Chicago-based architect for new owners of the church and vacant lot, promised “thoughtful and minimal exterior changes” to the former church, which has been known most recently as the Northwest Community Cultural Center.

One visual change would be a glass guard rail at the second story of the church, allowing for public access to the roof and its views of Northwest Portland and downtown. The sloping floor if the second-floor former sanctuary would be levelled for use by events.

The church’s basement, according to the plans, would contain a restaurant, fitness center and spa, and the main floor would contain a restaurant and lounge, in addition to the main entry.

Becker said the building’s stone façade “is believed to be in fairly good condition” but the windows are deteriorated. He proposed removing the opalescent glass in favor of clear glass to improve interior lighting, but the landmarks commission suggested that perhaps one large window could be restored showing the historic glazing. Becker said the historic size and design of the window casings and frames would be retained on the three most visible facades.
...continues at the Building on History.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland