HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 5:34 PM

the height increase already having a nice effect on the NW quadrant of the skyline however

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Why is the existing mid rise staying?

Are they rehabbing it?
Yes.

But I believe the total high-rise count will be three. Two more a planned for the the southern edge of the site on Hill. The original count was four.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 7:58 PM
You had me at herro...

That sucks about the current mid-rise staying. If anything it's just not a good use of space given the huge plot of land. It's just ugly and tilted in there with tons of room to the northwest and southwest. I would rather one unified development over that entire parcel.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 9:09 PM
Development Shill

Exactly the information I was looking for RandomGuy! Thank you!

Definitely a bummer about the midrise staying, but that can always change years from now, so the increased height in the buildings will be awesome!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Why is the existing mid rise staying?
The midrise is staying due to massive backlash from residents of the building and community groups.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
The midrise is staying due to massive backlash from residents of the building and community groups.
"Community groups" is such a pointless euphemism for "old people with too much time on their hands".

Hopefully they at least get rid of the parking lot on Division.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 12:29 AM

The Residences at 8 East Huron

Oct 25

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 1:02 AM

56 West Huron

Oct 25

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 1:21 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
"Community groups" is such a pointless euphemism for "old people with too much time on their hands".

Hopefully they at least get rid of the parking lot on Division.
There were legitimate concerns about tenants being forced out. Atrium Village tenants are largely Section 8/low income folks. CHA and private developers are building lots of low-income housing in the area, but generally the people with first priority are those on CHA's waitlist, which includes thousands of former residents of Cabrini, Robert Taylor, and other long-gone housing projects. People kicked out of Atrium Village would have to go to the back of the line. By preserving the old midrise, Onni can minimize displacement and provide affordable units more cheaply than by building something new.

Unfortunately the parking will be preserved along Division so that the interior of the site can be dedicated to park space. However, the parking lot will be set back from the street so that the narrow sidewalk width can be doubled - very important if CTA ever builds a rail station here. I agree about Elm St, it would be nice to connect it through the site, but the landowners west of the tracks would have to be on board as well, since that section of Elm St was also vacated long ago.

Last edited by ardecila; Oct 27, 2017 at 1:36 AM.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 1:27 AM
The City

^ Sucks but what the hell. That's what makes older cities like ours interesting. Keep something that's from another era, even if it's a bit goofy and has a small parking lot.

At least the rest of the site is getting redeveloped.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 2:06 AM
1st Ward

Honestly, its not the worst thing in the world that the fugly midrise is sticking around. The parking lots and low rises are gone, and land value and density continues to skyrocket. Its a foregone conclusion that at some point in the next decade or two, that midrise will eventually bite the dust. The new development might also integrate a new L stop at Division as well.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 2:52 AM

Bentham

Oct 24

Ready and waiting

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 5:13 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 10:29 AM

225 Hubbard

Oct 13

Oct 24

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
There were legitimate concerns about tenants being forced out. Atrium Village tenants are largely Section 8/low income folks. CHA and private developers are building lots of low-income housing in the area, but generally the people with first priority are those on CHA's waitlist, which includes thousands of former residents of Cabrini, Robert Taylor, and other long-gone housing projects. People kicked out of Atrium Village would have to go to the back of the line. By preserving the old midrise, Onni can minimize displacement and provide affordable units more cheaply than by building something new.

Unfortunately the parking will be preserved along Division so that the interior of the site can be dedicated to park space. However, the parking lot will be set back from the street so that the narrow sidewalk width can be doubled - very important if CTA ever builds a rail station here. I agree about Elm St, it would be nice to connect it through the site, but the landowners west of the tracks would have to be on board as well, since that section of Elm St was also vacated long ago.

I get the concerns. The obvious and much better solution would be to give Atrium Village residents the first option on new Atrium Village units, or those funded by this project. It isn't rocket science.

It's a shame that this block of Division will now never be a proper city block. I guess the other side of the street is mostly parking bays and a poorly designed library, anyway.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I get the concerns. The obvious and much better solution would be to give Atrium Village residents the first option on new Atrium Village units, or those funded by this project. It isn't rocket science.
That's what the original developer was intent on doing. However when the project was handed to Onni they were resistant to the idea, for whatever reason.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 1:29 PM

what I find interesting is that IL secretary of state Jesse White is a resident here. has been I guess for like 30 years.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 2:50 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 2:52 PM
Development Shill

The taller of the two towers for 225 Hubbard has easily the worst base treatment of every project during this cycle and I can't believe no one here has addressed that sad excuse for a design...

It looks like they spent $400 bucks on some plastic ribbed sheeting that you would put on a shanty-town shack and called it a day.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2017, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
The taller of the two towers for 225 Hubbard has easily the worst base treatment of every project during this cycle and I can't believe no one here has addressed that sad excuse for a design...

It looks like they spent $400 bucks on some plastic ribbed sheeting that you would put on a shanty-town shack and called it a day.
I had this exact same thought today on the Brown Line. It looks temporary.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations