HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 3:57 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Then neighborhoods will adamantly oppose any new buildings. There's a reason parking requirements got added to zoning codes in the first place.
Is it still 1970?

Times change, you know.. Oodles of buildings are already getting built with little parking. With the community involved

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
T.
If you wish, and have the money, you can run a car elevator to the 83rd floor and put a dozen cars in your living room. Technically it would be coming out of existing floor area.
That's the way a lot of them do it along with keeping them down the street in storage areas. You would not believe some of the classic Ferrari's I have seen downtown(Pebble Beach winners).

We better cut this topic short or it will all get deleted. I think we all agree that parking areas in buildings need some better planning. But you should not drive high tax paying residents out of the area fixing the problem.

Last edited by F1 Tommy; Feb 16, 2018 at 5:58 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:40 PM

Quote:
You now get to decide what people can and can't collect and store on their own private property?
Sure. I can't raise cattle in my yard in just about any city in America. Nothing could be more typical.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 8:17 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khantilever View Post
But what about TODs? Even without the mandatory minimum, these developments are still subject to a community approval process via the Alderman that can [and, unfortunately, do] reinstate parking when the “community” really wants it. Removing the minimum parking requirement doesn’t eliminate the approval process, but does lower the regulatory burden so that parking can be reduced in instances where the community doesn’t mind.

As much as we like to hate on the re-zoning process in Chicago, I think it really does work pretty well as a negotiation. Untying both the community’s and developers’ hands so that more items are up for debate should improve the process.
I think it would just make it more contentious and create planning fatigue. If you think community meetings are unproductive now, just wait until there’s one every week. The only people who will show up are folks with too much time on their hands and nothing better to do. Those people don’t tend to like change.

Most developments should be as-of-right and not be up for negotiation with the community unless they diverge drastically from traditional forms of development in the city. If I want to build a 6-flat with no parking on a block with other vintage 6-flats, that shouldn’t require a “planning process”.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Then neighborhoods will adamantly oppose any new buildings. There's a reason parking requirements got added to zoning codes in the first place.
And it’s dated practice. The zoning code must modernize.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 4:18 AM

Was just looking at the past cancelled towers in Chicago.
https://gyazo.com/040b57426f38452028c83b8a8aef942c
Does this screenshot depress anyone else?

Last edited by 230Roberto; Feb 17, 2018 at 4:33 AM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 7:23 AM
1st Ward

Waterview still stings, since it was actually getting off the ground and got canceled halfway through.

W-A would've been nice, but it seemed like a long shot from the start.

The Spire is a mixed bag for me. I love the design and the height, but not the location. It would've dwarfed the rest of the skyline from the lake, and thrown the aesthetics of the skyline out of balance. If moved further inland (west of Michigan Ave) it would've looked a lot better.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Waterview still stings, since it was actually getting off the ground and got canceled halfway through.

W-A would've been nice, but it seemed like a long shot from the start.

The Spire is a mixed bag for me. I love the design and the height, but not the location. It would've dwarfed the rest of the skyline from the lake, and thrown the aesthetics of the skyline out of balance. If moved further inland (west of Michigan Ave) it would've looked a lot better.
This skyline would looked 1000 times more different if the boom last 2 more years. Yes I got to admit the spire site would be a great location for maybe a 1000 footer or something it would like great along the river, but this site is Chicago's only chance (as of anytime soon) for a 1500+ ft tower. The Thompson Center would be a great site for a 1200-1400 (around that area)

I've only been around the "skyscraper game" for 1 year and a half now, but I can't imagine having a beautiful tower being constructed and the design getting a huge downgrade mid construcion. Don't get my wrong I still like One Eleven I think it fits with its surroundings but waterview tower was just a beauty.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 11:41 AM

Quote:
The authority to approve or not approve new buildings should not lie with the neighborhoods.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 12:18 PM

The Waldorf still seems like one of those designs that could still happen. Being so slender and simple textured it could really fit in any area of the city without becoming a confusing eyesore, which would get less complaints from the "neighbors". Personally I think it would fit the south loop well. Say near the old post office?

Last edited by KWillChicago; Feb 17, 2018 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Personally I think it would fitlt the south loop well. Say near the old post office?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 2:55 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
The authority to approve or not approve new buildings should not lie with the neighborhoods.
While I agree, and I’m as anti-NIMBY as they come, I do think that the community should have some say over zoning in their wards.

That doesn’t mean they should be able to approve and reject every single project, of course. But we do live in a democracy after all

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
While I agree, and I’m as anti-NIMBY as they come, I do think that the community should have some say over zoning in their wards.

Not when the neighborhood is downtown, i.e., the West Loop. In those cases, less control and say by the neighborhood is probably for the best.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 4:54 PM

Does anyone know who owns the property at 834 S Michigan Ave? ( the site of the cancelled park tower)

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230Roberto View Post
Does anyone know who owns the property at 834 S Michigan Ave? ( the site of the cancelled park tower)
Michigan 830 LLC, which is registered to the address of Scali & Associates in Crystal Lake. Renaissant Development Group of Geneva was supposed to be the developer. Not sure if that's them or not. Iviva Group was also an initial investor, and there was a court case with them and Renaissant a handful of years ago so who knows..

Last edited by marothisu; Feb 17, 2018 at 5:19 PM.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 7:13 PM
Urbane observer

^I'm pretty sure that's actually Matthew Pritzker. He bought the YWCA parcel in 2008, just after the Park Michigan plan died.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
^I'm pretty sure that's actually Matthew Pritzker. He bought the YWCA parcel in 2008, just after the Park Michigan plan died.
No idea, but here's the court case from 2013:
http://illinoiscourts.gov/R23_Orders...112679_R23.pdf

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 10:41 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
This skyline would looked 1000 times more different if the boom last 2 more years. Yes I got to admit the spire site would be a great location for maybe a 1000 footer or something it would like great along the river, but this site is Chicago's only chance (as of anytime soon) for a 1500+ ft tower. The Thompson Center would be a great site for a 1200-1400 (around that area)
Don't forget about the Tribune tower addition. The proposed height is in that ballpark, and its still very early in the process of design, let alone approval. We could see a height bump by then.

Quote:
I've only been around the "skyscraper game" for 1 year and a half now, but I can't imagine having a beautiful tower being constructed and the design getting a huge downgrade mid construcion. Don't get my wrong I still like One Eleven I think it fits with its surroundings but waterview tower was just a beauty.
Waterview was an odd case, and one unlikely to be repeated. It was built entirely on spec by the engineering firm that designed it, as opposed to a seasoned developer who knows how to build and sell housing units. Then the worst financial crisis in a century rolled around and construction halted. Condo sales evaporated, Shangri-La pulled out of its contract for the hotel portion, and all bank lending dried up denying any potential lifeline for the project. As a result, it was an abandoned concrete hulk along the river canyon for 3 years.

None of the residential towers going up now are anywhere near this situation. They all have bank financing, and either have met the necessary presale requirements or are rentals.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Was just looking at the past cancelled towers in Chicago.
https://gyazo.com/040b57426f38452028c83b8a8aef942c
Does this screenshot depress anyone else?
It does. Along with many other canceled gems.

Here's the skyline the way I would have wanted it.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2018, 11:47 PM

I would take 7 South Dearborn over the sky needle, but that's great

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 12:01 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
It does. Along with many other canceled gems.

Here's the skyline the way I would have wanted it.

The Miglin Beitler Skyneedle is the biggest "never happened" for this city ever in my opinion. Such a wonderful building. Great work.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations