HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBlonde View Post
As far as I'm aware the provincial legislation in place and public hearings are a thing of the past. Surrey has dropped them entirely but who knows if Vancouver is dragging things out a little longer because of the Vancouver Charter.
Yes the legislation for BC-wide is in place, but I really can't find the info for Vancouver. If it means the City-wide plan needs to be in place it's currently schedule d for 2026

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 9:10 PM
Project manger

Such an amazing image. Id love to see one from all the big Metros in the region.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
Public hearings will be done with, soon though for City of Vancouver, I thought? I know it was on a slightly different timeline than other cities because of the Vancouver Charter
I think they're looking to quickly amend that.

https://canada.constructconnect.com/...e-homebuilding

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 1:31 AM

Two more West Side proposals, this first one is really going to get the nimbys out in full force.

2158 W 1st Ave
Quote:
2158-2170 W 1st Ave - To rezone from RM-4 to CD-1 under the Broadway Plan, KKNB, to permit a 20-storey mixed-use building with commercial at grade and 177 secured market rental units above with 20% of the floor area to be below-market rental. A total FSR of 6.8 and total building height of 233.67 ft. is proposed. Indoor- and outdoor amenity space to be provided. 96 below-grade parking spaces and 353 bicycle parking spaces proposed.
https://plposweb.vancouver.ca/Public...ctId=231163507

2225 W 8th Ave
Quote:
Rezone from RM-4 to CD-1 under the Broadway Plan to permit the development of a 21-storey mixed-use building on a podium. 231 secured rental residential units of which 20% of the residential floor area is below market rental is proposed. 3 commercial units are on the ground floor A height of 68.7 m (224.3 ft.) and an FSR of 6.78 is proposed.
https://plposweb.vancouver.ca/Public...ctId=229411143

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 2:08 AM

Quote:
2158-2170 W 1st Ave - To rezone from RM-4 to CD-1 under the Broadway Plan, KKNB, to permit a 20-storey mixed-use building with commercial at grade and 177 secured market rental units above with 20% of the floor area to be below-market rental. A total FSR of 6.8 and total building height of 233.67 ft. is proposed. Indoor- and outdoor amenity space to be provided. 96 below-grade parking spaces and 353 bicycle parking spaces proposed.
It's not like it's completely unexpected, there's like a dozen of those just a few blocks west.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 2:30 AM

Quote:
One of them is striking: an 18-storey rental building, taking up three lots occupied by two houses and a duplex on West 11th Avenue at Manitoba. It would be flanked by quaint heritage homes, one of which was built in 1912.

Peter Silin has been a homeowner on West 11th Avenue since 1988 and has been leaving leaflets around his neighbourhood, making sure residents know about what’s proposed, and that they are welcome to join him to fight it.

He sighs when asked to characterize what he sees on the development board.

“I think it’s horrible. It’s completely out of character for the neighbourhood. It’s kind of like an insult to the neighbourhood. It makes no reference to the architectural style of the neighbourhood,” he says, while pointing out other residents have had similar reactions.

“They are pretty much horrified. They are sad, they are disappointed, they are angry. I have talked to a couple people who have mixed feelings about it. But the mixed feelings have to do with having sympathy for the idea of needing new housing.”
Quote:
People like Silin, though, think there is merit in preserving the flavour of the neighbourhood. “I think easily they could develop something that is appropriate, that is three or four storeys, that is a townhouse or an architectural reference to the styles of homes around them.”
And they are worried about shadowing on Major Matthews Park which is literally boxed in by trees and is east facing.

Quote:
Havn’s West 11th development will share a corner with Major Matthews Park, with residents already voicing concerns about sun being blocked in the park. In a public question forum for the development, the city says the proposal’s interface with the park is being reviewed. The Broadway Plan, it notes, states that for some parks, maintaining solar access is challenging.
https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/0...ises-proposed/

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 7:40 AM

Quote:
“They are pretty much horrified. They are sad, they are disappointed, they are angry. I have talked to a couple people who have mixed feelings about it. But the mixed feelings have to do with having sympathy for the idea of needing new housing.”
Convenient that he doesn't mention the people he talked to in the neighbourhood, that are fully supportive of it. How do i know those people exist? Because I talked to him, and basically told him that it was people like him that are why young people can't afford to live in this city.

I hate these kinds of articles, where it spends half of it describing how some guy who bought a house in 1988 for like 100k that's now worth 3.5 million, ils upset that his neighbourhood is changing, instead of talking about all the people that need housing.

We shouldn't even be having these discussions anymore. The broadway plan was approved, this meets the plan. If he had something to say he should have said it during the extensive engagement that was done for that.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 1:44 PM
be nice to the crackheads

He should be grateful that the neighbourhood remained SFH focused for as long as it did. Rezoning and redevelopment should have started a couple of decades ago to help bring more housing closer to BC's two major employment centres.

He got a quaint, suburban-style of living next to Canada's third largest downtown while everyone else was continually pushed further and further away from where they work.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 11:44 PM

Two sites sold to Mondivan and Gracorp.

2210 West 5th Avenue

1960 West 7th Avenue

https://vancouvermarket.ca/2024/05/0...s-in-20m-deal/

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 12:53 AM

Mount Pleasant Furniture on East 4th got sold possibly for redevelopment. She says the building next to her (they also own a building across the street so not sure exactly which one she is referring to) is getting redeveloped into a 14 storey tower.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/0...e-development/

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 2:04 AM

11 stories is the maximum there.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusmcduff View Post
Convenient that he doesn't mention the people he talked to in the neighbourhood, that are fully supportive of it. How do i know those people exist? Because I talked to him, and basically told him that it was people like him that are why young people can't afford to live in this city.

I hate these kinds of articles, where it spends half of it describing how some guy who bought a house in 1988 for like 100k that's now worth 3.5 million, ils upset that his neighbourhood is changing, instead of talking about all the people that need housing.

We shouldn't even be having these discussions anymore. The broadway plan was approved, this meets the plan. If he had something to say he should have said it during the extensive engagement that was done for that.
Bravo! Well said!

The media in Canada is so conservative, and that has contributed to enabling all these conservative mentalities and policies over the decades. They always slant things this way to paint change and progress as evils or annoyances, while downplaying or shutting out progressive voices that are usually the majority. Conservatives are always the loud minority, and get the most attention when they complain. The sooner we learn to stop listening to them, the better.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver