HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMH View Post
Footwear and apparel hub proposed:

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...d-a27bcd4c17bd.
I hope this really becomes a flourishing area, it has such great bones. And the post office redevelopment nearby can only help.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 8:54 PM

Does anyone know which buildings are being considered as part of this effort? I tried searching but the Oregonian article is all I can find on the project.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 12:51 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
I hope this really becomes a flourishing area, it has such great bones. And the post office redevelopment nearby can only help.
Seriously! Old Town is a sleeping giant of a neighborhood. Downtown to the south, the Pearl to the west, and the Post Office site is going to provide so much growth to the north. And as you said, the neighborhood has such good bones. The long term potential for this neighborhood is incredible.

It needs a catalyst to jumpstart major development, but even without one... there's so much potential that the neighborhood will eventually blossom again. It can't NOT happen. It's just a matter of when.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 6:45 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Seriously! Old Town is a sleeping giant of a neighborhood. Downtown to the south, the Pearl to the west, and the Post Office site is going to provide so much growth to the north. And as you said, the neighborhood has such good bones. The long term potential for this neighborhood is incredible.

It needs a catalyst to jumpstart major development, but even without one... there's so much potential that the neighborhood will eventually blossom again. It can't NOT happen. It's just a matter of when.
I think what is holding it back is the low height limits. I would love to see existing buildings be preserved as much as possible with empty lots having much higher limits and height bonuses for residential buildings. Turning Old Town into an active neighborhood downtown would be a good thing.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 2:24 AM

Despite challenges, optimism builds for safer, renewed Old Town

by Steve Dunn, KATU StaffThu, April 18th 2024 at 5:30 PM
Updated Thu, April 18th 2024 at 6:14 PM

Quote:
When you walk the streets of Old Town these days, you see a lot -- the drug use, the mental illness is there.

Old Town has always had its share of issues, exacerbated by the city's turn of events in the last four years. But some who work down here feel the worst may be behind them and that the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.

Darek Dohy is a managing partner at River Poker and Sports Bar on Northwest 5th Avenue. He took over a spot there in October.

Like most people he had concerns about what was happening in the streets. Then he just sat in his car and watched. He says he saw people just trying to live.

"I haven't been threatened, I haven't had any problems with anyone here on the streets, it's not an exact like perfect element, but I've never experienced anything that has made me concerned about this area,” said Dohy.

He points to the addition of state troopers on bikes canvassing the neighborhood, and the Clean and Safe program, which allows businesses to call if there are any issues on the streets.

Right across the street is Charlie's Deli.

Charlie Mattouk has been outspoken about the problems down here. He's had his deli in Old Town for 10 years. He feels business owners have long had to fend for themselves down here.

Still, he and co-owner Alicia Matous just signed another 10-year lease and say they feel safer than they have in a long time.

“I don't think either of us can put a finger on it, on what it is -- more than it's the aggregate of all the small things we're seeing from out windows to our front door, from our customers,” said Mattouk.
continues:https://katu.com/news/city-in-crisis...d-safe-program

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 2:47 AM

Gov. Kotek ends veto threat for $2M allocation for Old Town manufacturing hub

Demi Lawrence
By Demi Lawrence – Staff Reporter, Portland Business Journal
Apr 18, 2024

Quote:
Gov. Tina Kotek will not veto a $2 million allocation for a sustainable apparel manufacturing hub in Portland's Old Town approved by legislators this year.

Kotek said last week she was considering vetos for the Old Town project along with $14 million in infrastructure spending, saying she wanted more information on the projects.

Matthew Claudel, partner on the Old Town project, said last week that partners were working closely with the Governor’s Office to ensure she had all the information she needed.

On Wednesday, Claudel called Kotek's announcement that she would sign the funding bills "a strong vote confidence."

"Most importantly, this investment sends a positive message about the future of the neighborhood to the Old Town community," he wrote in an email. "Since April 8, our team has worked closely with the Governor’s Office to provide detailed project information and establish protocols for the use of state funds. These conversations can become the foundation of an ongoing collaborative relationship."

Claudel, along with Elias Stahl of sustainable footwear maker Hilos and the Old Town Community Association, are working to establish a 30,000-square-foot footwear and apparel manufacturing hub in the neighborhood. Dubbed Made in Old Town, the hub will be developed between Fourth and Fifth Avenue and Glisan and Davis Street over the next seven to 10 years.
continues (paywall):https://www.bizjournals.com/portland...Pos=2#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 7:00 PM
A before E

This is promising news

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
This is promising news
Yup.

"Since April 8, our team has worked closely with the Governor’s Office to provide detailed project information and establish protocols for the use of state funds. These conversations can become the foundation of an ongoing collaborative relationship."

I like Kotek, definitely surprising me. This is exactly what she (and all politicos and ballot measures) should be doing. Asking questions, making sure the project is well defined, where will the money go in detail, how will you measure success, etc. Shocking how often Portland/Oregon votes in a shoot first, ask questions later manner. Kotek is a breath of fresh air, IMHO.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 11:15 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Yup.

"Since April 8, our team has worked closely with the Governor’s Office to provide detailed project information and establish protocols for the use of state funds. These conversations can become the foundation of an ongoing collaborative relationship."

I like Kotek, definitely surprising me. This is exactly what she (and all politicos and ballot measures) should be doing. Asking questions, making sure the project is well defined, where will the money go in detail, how will you measure success, etc. Shocking how often Portland/Oregon votes in a shoot first, ask questions later manner. Kotek is a breath of fresh air, IMHO.
Same here, I even like Governor Brown more because of Kotek because I feel like Brown gave Oregon some stable middle of the road leadership post Kitzhaber scandal which has made the transition to Kotek much easier and makes it easier for her to lead as this type of governor that I don't think she could have done right after Kitzhaber.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2024, 2:43 PM

Yeah it’s great that kotek recognizes this importance of a heathy Portland for the overall well being of the state. She also withheld state homeless funds from Multnomah county for a while until they could show how they were going to more effectively use the money. After the debacle of measure 110, and the ridiculous inability of the county to find a way to spend the generous Metro housing tax funds… it is indeed a breath of fresh air to see her hold people accountable.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland