HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 5:04 AM
BANNED

Vancouver might be booming in 4-5 years. Who knows they might even have a decent little skyline one day in the not too long future

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Players gather to kick off next phase of Vancouver waterfront project

The rooftop photo-op may have gotten a little foggy, but that didn’t stop the major players in the massive Vancouver waterfront development project from gathering on the City Hall rooftop this morning to celebrate the next phase of the project.

Mayor Tim Leavitt, Port of Vancouver USA commissioner Nancy Baker and Barry Cain, president of Gramor Development and the head of Columbia Waterfront LLC were all part of the ceremonial groundbreaking event.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 4:12 PM

Waterfront Hotel

Cain: Waterfront hotel construction to start in '15

Barry Cain, who spoke to the press on the roof of city hall in Vancouver in October, announced Thursday that the waterfront development project has commitments from a 10-story hotel and three restaurants. (Natalie Behring)

Published: December 4, 2014, 6:17 PM

The leader of a $1.3 billion commercial and residential redevelopment of Vancouver’s waterfront said Thursday he’s inked a deal to build a 10-story hotel as part of the project and that the hotel would begin construction in 2015.

Barry Cain, president of Tualatin, Ore.-based Gramor Development, said he’s not announcing the identity of the hotel and related details yet. But a signed hotel deal marks a new development in the long-running plan to rejuvenate a former industrial site.

Cain spoke of the hotel and other progress on the 32-acre waterfront project as part of a larger, late-afternoon panel discussion held at the Hilton Vancouver Washington. The discussion, sponsored by Perkins & Co., a Portland-based accounting firm, featured panelists Cain, Vancouver Mayor Tim Leavitt, Katy Brooks, director of business development for the Port of Vancouver, and Tim Schauer, president and CEO of the civil engineering firm MacKay Sposito.

An estimated 125 people attended Thursday’s event.

Cain also spoke of plans for restaurants and a separate mixed-use building with retail, housing and office spaces. At least one restaurant has been signed to become part of the waterfront project and would begin construction in 2015, according to Dianne Danowski Smith, a spokeswoman for Cain.

Meanwhile, Cain isn’t the only one moving forward with plans to remake Vancouver’s waterfront.

Brooks said the Port of Vancouver is pursuing a redevelopment plan for its Terminal 1 property, which is home to the Red Lion Hotel Vancouver at the Quay. The port and Red Lion are in negotiations to reconfigure the site for a new mixed-use building, she said. The idea is to create a blend of commercial, retail and public spaces, Brooks said. The port wants its project to complement Cain’s redevelopment plan, she said, and to create “a welcome mat” to Vancouver’s downtown area.

Brooks said the port would have more news to share about its project in the months ahead.

‘First rate’

During his presentation, Cain said the design and permitting stages of the waterfront project’s 7.3-acre park are making progress. And the park’s construction is planned to launch in the fall of 2015, he said.

“It’s going to be first rate,” he said, adding that the park will “compare favorably with the greatest parks around.”

The opportunity for the waterfront project arose in 2005, after Boise Cascade announced it would be closing its paper-finishing operation and selling the 32-acre property.

Cain formed Columbia Waterfront in 2006 with local investors Jan and Steve Oliva, Al and Sandee Kirkwood, Jo Marie and Steve Hansen, and George and Paula Diamond.

The group purchased the former industrial site in 2008. A master plan for the multi-phase development, which includes restaurants, up to 3,300 residential units, office space, retail space and one hotel, was approved by the city council in 2010.

A $44 million access project, funded in part by grants, was completed this year. It included design, rights-of-way acquisition and construction of two new railroad bridges at Esther and Grant streets, three new streets, the closure of railroad crossings at Jefferson and Eighth streets, and related utility work.

An extension of Columbia Way, which will be the main east-west access street to the site, will start in 2015, and the street should be finished by the end of the year.

With the exception of a public park, the waterfront site will be privately developed.

Plans for the 7.3-acre park were approved by the city council last year and include an extension of the Waterfront Renaissance Trail. Cain has said the entire site could take 10 to 15 years to build out.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 2:55 AM

I really hope Vancouver pulls this off. It's a shame that there's not going to be MAX to there because of the rural Clark County folks who were opposed. I was really hopeful for Vancouver when they were pushing for the MAX to go all the way up to Salmon Creek, but really just serving this project and a park and ride would have been a nice option.

That and I bet tourists would have loved getting to take a train to Vancouver without ending up at the Vancouver Amtrak station.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 1:23 AM

Race to Build on River Could Block Pacific Oil Route (NYT)

Quote:
VANCOUVER, Wash. — Environmental passions, which run hot in the Northwest over everything from salmon to recycling, generally get couched in the negative: Don’t fish too much, don’t put those chemicals up the smokestack, don’t build in that sensitive area.

But here in southern Washington, some environmental groups are quietly pushing a builder to move even faster with a $1.3 billion real estate project along the Columbia River that includes office buildings, shops and towers with 3,300 apartments.

The reason is oil.

Two miles west of the 32-acre project, called the Waterfront, one of the biggest proposed oil terminals in the country is going through an environmental review, with plans to transfer North Dakota crude from rail cars to barges. Up to four trains, carrying 360,000 barrels of oil, would pass every day through this city’s downtown, only a few hundred feet from the Waterfront’s towers, westbound from the Bakken shale oil fields.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 1:30 AM

Holy hell; It's also important to mention that density helps the environment! It's a buck against the sprawly trend of Vancouver. I also really hope it blocks these trains. The gorge is an area that really should be a national park.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2015, 8:35 PM

Great to see this kind of development in Vancouver.

Quote:
Bank to shift branch into new downtown 'Couv building

A new office building will be the home of Pacific Continental's Vancouver branch by the first quarter of 2016.

The Eugene-headquartered bank will move its current office at 911 Main Street into the new 101 Building, a three-story office building being built at the corner of Main and Sixth streets. The move further expands Pacific Continental's footprint into the Portland area.

Vancouver real estate development company Killian Pacific is the developer behind the building; Mackenzie is the architecture firm behind it and Turner Construction Company will be the lead contractor.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2015, 2:05 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Great to see this kind of development in Vancouver.

It would be nice if that building was 4 or 5 times taller, but I really like that style of building. It looks really classy industrial without looking to faux historic.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 9:26 PM

When pointed in the right direction (South), the City Hall live cam has a nice view of the Vancouver Waterfront infrastructure...

http://www.cityofvancouver.us/cmo/pa...couver-webcams

Old Posted Feb 23, 2015, 12:08 AM

Sitework at the Vancouver Waterfront Development:

DML_7964.jpg

DML_7962.jpg

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 6:17 PM

Five blocks of proposal for waterfront unveiled

Five blocks of proposal for waterfront unveiled
By Amy M.E. Fischer, Columbian city government reporter

The central feature of Vancouver's new waterfront park likely will be a futuristic, triangular pier that juts 90 feet over the Columbia River, a dock so modern it will be suspended from cables rather than supported by pilings.

continued at http://www.columbian.com/news/2015/m...ront-unveiled/

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 6:25 PM

Wow. This project is happening despite the crude oil trains going right by it constantly? It looks beautiful-- I hope it attracts citizens that are more interested in integrating into the PDX metro than seceding. Maybe we could get the I-5 bridge rebuilt with the same amount of lanes present and take MAX up into Vancouver if they keep adding density.

I would be interested in a PDX-Vancouver dual city dynamic if that whole area could really reign in the suburban sprawl.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXDENSITY View Post
Wow. This project is happening despite the crude oil trains going right by it constantly? It looks beautiful-- I hope it attracts citizens that are more interested in integrating into the PDX metro than seceding. Maybe we could get the I-5 bridge rebuilt with the same amount of lanes present and take MAX up into Vancouver if they keep adding density.

I would be interested in a PDX-Vancouver dual city dynamic if that whole area could really reign in the suburban sprawl.
I'd like to be proven wrong but I'm skeptical of how deep the market in Vancouver is for Class A office space and high end condos and apartments. But I do think the downtown Vancouver market has huge untapped potential but just has to overcome the negative stigma that Vancouver seems to have.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 10:48 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
I'd like to be proven wrong but I'm skeptical of how deep the market in Vancouver is for Class A office space and high end condos and apartments. But I do think the downtown Vancouver market has huge untapped potential but just has to overcome the negative stigma that Vancouver seems to have.
I am in the same boat, you would think Vancouver would be trying hard to get light rail to their downtown with a development like this going on. How else are they planning to convince people to pay top dollar to live and in their downtown?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I am in the same boat, you would think Vancouver would be trying hard to get light rail to their downtown with a development like this going on. How else are they planning to convince people to pay top dollar to live and in their downtown?
to my understanding the City, as a jurisdictional entity, greatly desires light rail. maybe not overtly in the public eye, but I've talked to planners that say very strongly that light rail is a priority for the City. the voting population in Vancouver and Clark County are the primary impediments to light rail crossing the Columbia.

I would also assume that Barry Cain and Gramor would love to see a light rail stop in the vicinity of their massive roll of the dice.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2015, 4:33 AM

I would consider buying a condo in the Couv if light rail was already present, but there's no way in hell I'd consider commuting back and forth with current traffic.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2015, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
They were big supporters of the CRC, but unfortunately Clark County screwed that up for them.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 3:47 AM

Any word on the progress to block oil/coal trains to Vancouver? The waterfront would be so much better used for mix use housing and retail and office density.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Developer plans first two buildings at Vancouver Waterfront, promises more to follow

The developer behind a long-imagined waterfront district in downtown Vancouver is finalizing plans for its first two buildings.

Gramor Development has started the work of getting city approval for pair of two-story buildings, which together will house four or five restaurants.

It's a modest start for the ambitious plan, which eventually calls for more than $1 billion in investment and more than 3,000 housing units.

But Barry Cain, president of Tualatin-based Gramor, says plans for a 15-story condominium tower, a 14-story apartment building and a six-story office building are also in the works.
...continues at the Oregonian.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 11:30 PM

How high can Vancouver really go? It's (relatively) close to the flight path of arriving/departing planes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon