HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 27, 2010, 11:32 PM
International

Ok, so here is the infill project that I spoke about earlier:

...and literally across the street from it:

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 1:14 AM

District Dirt--

I'll have to find before/after photos of the Social Safeway in Georgetown to use as an example of what can be done with a large surface parking lot.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 4:49 PM
BANNED

Great problems yield great opportunities. For 80 years money has been going out of E. Hollywood, Westlake, Echo Park and much of Hollywood and Ktown. This may have cut the NIMBY factor down since very few would argue that the new development is destroying the neighborhood or much of anything else.

Having said this, I notice in Curbed that the Thom Mayne Emerson College building at Sunset and Gordon is being criticized because its construction will cause noise and vibration. Well, yeah, I suppose.

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Your idea reminds me of the Urban Sprawl Repair Kit that was published a couple years back. We need to be doing this in LA:

What's really lame and ironic is that having the parking "in back" is nothing new in LA; the 1929 Bullock's Wilshire building was built with the parking in the back, and also had a pedestrian entrance on Wilshire Boulevard itself; it still engaged the street. Other pre-WWII developments also had parking in the back and allowed pedestrian-friendly access at the front. It's as if architects/developers have no long-term memory; "PARKING IN REAR" is not a new concept.

On a personal note, if something HAS to have a parking lot, I'm an advocate of underground parking, with the entrances/exits in the back; I think parking lots are ugly and need to be hidden.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
District Dirt--

I'll have to find before/after photos of the Social Safeway in Georgetown to use as an example of what can be done with a large surface parking lot.
Great idea. I actually haven't seen the finished project yet- I moved here in January while it was still under construction. I lived at 10th and M, so I'd usually go to the Sexy Safeway (5th and K) or the occasionally the Soviet Safeway (17th and R)

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 9:56 PM

That Urban Sprawl Repair Kit could come in handy in many parts of LA - including here in Pasadena...

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Planning Commission OKs Thom Mayne Hollywood Building

Thursday, May 27, 2010, by Dakota

Clearing its first hurdle in terms of city approvals, the Morphosis-designed Emerson College building proposed for the corner of Sunset and Gordon was approved today by the Planning Commission. Not unexpectedly, attorney Robert Silverstein aka Mr. McSue, showed up at the hearing to express his dismay about the project. Silverstein, who has also represented other local Hollywood clients in their fight against certain developments, including the Gerding Edlen Spaghetti Factory project, showed up on behalf of East/West Studios, a local music studio that's unhappy about the noise and vibrations expected to come from construction of the proposed 10-story building, which would house Emerson College seniors studying in Los Angeles.
Source: http://la.curbed.com/archives/2010/0...d_building.php

Old Posted May 28, 2010, 10:43 PM
BANNED

If you ban noise and vibrations in building you would do a pretty good job of stopping everything. May you could use scotch tape. My guess is that the studio is going broke and is looking for a quick payoff.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 10:01 PM

DP- edited

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 10:05 PM

I really like this one:

Quote:
Burger Shack Threatened by Purple-Hued Office Project

June 2, 2010, by Dakota

Molly's Charbroiler, a popular Hollywood diner currently sits at 1601 Vine Street, the same address where an eight-story, glass-sided office building called Vine Street Tower is planned. And at a City Council meeting today, there was some emotional testimony from the owners of the diner, who asked the council members for help in terms of relocation. The owners are represented by--who else?--popular land use attorney Robert Silverstein, who cleverly noted that even the city has admitted this building may be worth saving: The Community Redevelopment Agency released a report in February, indicating that Molly's may be eligible for listing as a historical cultural monument. But let's get on to the important information. How tasty is the food?

Yelpers seemed mixed in terms of reviews, but they generally sway positive: "I recommend the chili cheese burger and bbq ribs..."So, 4 stars for the hamburger, 2 for fries"..."Molly's is a throwback burger, hot dog, and random Korean food counter..."And there's this bold claim: "Not the best burger in L.A., in my opinion, but probably the best burger in Hollywood."

And back to the CRA report mentioned by Silverstein. If you click on this link, you can see it under "Hollywood Historic Survey Update." Here's an excerpt from the report, which talks about the explosion of roadside diners during the 1920-1940s, and why, perhaps this one should be saved:

"The diners cropped up quickly due to a number of factors, including the expansion of the railroad system, and industrialization and rapid growth of urban areas initially created the demand for quick meals for travelers, workers, and busy families." According to the report "the number of restaurants in the United States grew by 40% from 1910-1927."

And the part that mentions Molly's: "Three roadside eateries are extant in Hollywood. One appears eligible for local listing. Located at 1601 Vine Street, Molly's Charbroiler was constructed in 1953."

In addition to the appearance of the owners and attorney Silverstein, a handful of neighborhood activists also spoke during the public comment period. There was a lot of talk about both protecting small business and about preservation (and a mention of the now neutered Brown Derby restaurant). And in the end, the City Council delayed ultimately deciding on what would happen to the diner, which may end up being moved elsewhere in Hollywood or may end up going in the nearby under-construction parking lot in Hollywood. The City Council is expected to take up the matter again next week. Meanwhile, the office tower is a CRA project that's being done in conjunction with local developer Pacifica Ventures.
Source: http://la.curbed.com/archives/2010/06/_the.php

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 10:10 PM
Ascension

I actually love that place. Their Philly Cheese Steak is the best.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 10:11 PM

Hey, is that you on Curbed, Pesto?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 11:22 PM
BANNED

JDR: That was quick. Those were my first two posts on curbed in years.

For some reason I am becoming the Emerson College and East Hollywood development spokesman. Most at Curbed think its ugly and inappropriate to the area.

Also, Molly's Burgers struck me as entirely replicable on some other parking lot DT or in Hollywood or as part of the retail at the new Vine parking lot.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 8:58 PM

New renderings of the Thom Mayne Building:

Source:http://archpaper.com/e-board_rev.asp?News_ID=4580

Courtesy Morphosis

Courtesy Morphosis

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 9:17 PM

Oh I like it!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 9:27 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Sorry but Molly's needs to go. That lot is an eyesore and should be utilized given its location. The city is building a city parking structure 20 yards up the street and they can incorporate the hamburger joint into it. This is just like that damn luggage shop that held up the W for a decade.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 9:29 PM
Ascension

Reminds me of Le Grande Arche in Paris. Only uglier.

http://www.blachford.info/gallery/pics3/S_ArchTall.jpg

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Sorry but Molly's needs to go. That lot is an eyesore and should be utilized given its location. The city is building a city parking structure 20 yards up the street and they can incorporate the hamburger joint into it. This is just like that damn luggage shop that held up the W for a decade.
Yeah, LA City Councilmembers need to recognize what is legitimate and what is not when it comes to these frivolous claims about historic designations and the rights of these crappy businesses that do absolutely nothing for the area.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2010, 11:41 PM
BANNED

Similar to the Arche, but meant for offices, school rooms, labs, etc.

Is the top of the cube going to be open? The decks and terraces on the building within appear to be sunlit and quite nice. They also seem to plan considerable street presence (they're on the shady side of Sunset).

And remember: right now it's a parking lot surrounded by decayed housing.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2010, 12:53 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

I think its really cool. I'm reminded of that funky building on stilts in Toronto that was criticized but remains a unique landmark

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations