HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 4:00 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Zzzz

Is this board dead or what? Well, maybe in 10 years Sac will get another highrise

Old Posted Aug 21, 2010, 7:40 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
Is this board dead or what? Well, maybe in 10 years Sac will get another highrise
This recession really sucks, for everything and everybody it seems..

The new Thunder Valley Hotel is a highrise.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 4:46 AM

Yeah things look like they will definitely be on the quite side for some time sigh. We got spoiled when it seemed like there was a new proposal on a weekly basis. Now we can look forward to columns from Bob Shallit featuring updates on things like locally filmed straight-to-video movies, random strip mall sales etc. I just hope on the next go around of a building boom local developers can be aggresive on the upswing instead of getting caught trying to get proposals done as the market bottoms out.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 5:00 AM

Gees, you people are forgetting that the recession is over, Sacramento has mor open lots than any other city in america, as soon as the recession ends, development will come.

Also, although sacramento has nothing but low rise condos planned, west sac has got raleys landing and the bridge district, I'm sure at least one of them will get built

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 6:29 AM
Hindrance to Development

Projects under construction on Richards Boulevard, bridges and light rail extensions being built through the Railyards, cranes on the site of Sutter's featured building, tons of infill and adaptive reuse and skinny-house projects still being proposed and built, and lots of groundwork being laid. Not to mention that on the sidewalk level, Sacramento is more interesting a place to be than I have ever seen it: more new restaurants, new retail stores, cultural events, music indoors and out, art galleries and street festivals going on now than ever, more people walking around all the time in the central city. Despite occasional silliness like the imminent taco-truck ban (which is facing a growing wave of anger from local foodies, as well as small businesspeople) I notice an increase in vendors of street food, and even a street busking program on K Street. It's a very interesting time.

Not enough shiny renderings to get Majin's customer to success, perhaps, but other than that, things are looking up.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Not enough shiny renderings to get Majin's customer to success
I lol'ed

Old Posted Aug 23, 2010, 6:34 PM
Closed account

This is the first I have heard on the Taco-Truck Ban. What is this about?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2010, 9:39 PM
thenorth.bandcamp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Projects under construction on Richards Boulevard, bridges and light rail extensions being built through the Railyards, cranes on the site of Sutter's featured building, tons of infill and adaptive reuse and skinny-house projects still being proposed and built, and lots of groundwork being laid. Not to mention that on the sidewalk level, Sacramento is more interesting a place to be than I have ever seen it...
WBurg, thank you for your optimistic feedback and outlook. It's refreshing amidst the temper that this thread is seemingly intended.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 2:26 AM

Surefire we haven't lost sight of all the progress still happening around town as wburg wisely points out but the title of this little site is called skyscraperpage.com for a reason which brought most of us here in the first place. For that reason alone, don't be so quick to brand us as "debbie downers" because, as wonderful as it is, none of the progress still taking place involves something as attention grabbing as the form of an inspired skyscraper design. Many of us are waiting impatiently until those proposals return..

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 5:53 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod74 View Post
Surefire we haven't lost sight of all the progress still happening around town as wburg wisely points out but the title of this little site is called skyscraperpage.com for a reason which brought most of us here in the first place. For that reason alone, don't be so quick to brand us as "debbie downers" because, as wonderful as it is, none of the progress still taking place involves something as attention grabbing as the form of an inspired skyscraper design. Many of us are waiting impatiently until those proposals return..
Some here have dreams of Sacramento becoming a great metropolis, some here want it to just be more developed and others seem to be the "Debbie Downers". Wburg was mostly stating a positive msg, and what he likes about the progress that has happened, or that is how I interpreted it. I think it is good to look at what has been accomplished here, remember when 2nd Saturday was just a boring art-walk? Before Concerts in the Park? Before MAARS, MIX, ETC ETC? In the past 10 years Sacramento and the surrounding areas have changed enormously. I am waiting impatiently for the proposals to return, very impatiently. Yet I will look at what has been done so far and be happy about it. Here is the truth, all the "Urban" changes many of you want to happen, will never happen. You will be over 100 years old and still waiting... Let's try and be happy about what has done, and be impatient, there is room for both.

Last edited by Ghost of Econgrad; Sep 3, 2010 at 6:18 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area