HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 8:51 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Yes but back then they could have had 14 ot losses and those would not count towards the points like they do now. I miss the no loser point days.
But without that how else could the NHL sell you on the idea of your team being 30-30-22 and being a ".500 team"?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 8:58 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
It was lame and she looked like she just got back from her night streetwalking job but I'm in the minority because I'm reading a lot of people bought into it and in the end that's all that matters.

She looked great!!!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 9:07 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

She looked great!!!
I also thought she looked pretty good.

How old is she? 55?

Anyway, Shania is almost the perfect compromise for this type of show.

A decent segment of the CFL demographic likes country music to varying degrees, but OTOH she's also palatable to a larger group of people due to her cross-over style.

My kids who are teens came into the room to watch when she came on stage and they heard the first song start.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 9:17 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
But without that how else could the NHL sell you on the idea of your team being 30-30-22 and being a ".500 team"?
Yes! 22 out of 30 NHL teams had records above 500 last season!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 9:31 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I also thought she looked pretty good.

How old is she? 55?

Anyway, Shania is almost the perfect compromise for this type of show.

A decent segment of the CFL demographic likes country music to varying degrees, but OTOH she's also palatable to a larger group of people due to her cross-over style.

My kids who are teens came into the room to watch when she came on stage and they heard the first song start.
My preschooler kids just started rocking out and dancing when her music started, despite never having heard any of those songs before. She definitely has the kind of broad appeal you need for a good halftime show.

Incidentally she's 52. And looking great!!!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 11:16 PM

I thought Shania was great. The dogsled was the perfect "Yup, We're Canadian" touch.

The two-game total point series idea is horrific. Teams would risk lesser players getting thrown out of Game 1/suspended for Game 2 and intentionally attempt to injure the stars of the opposing team.

The Stamps' almost inherent level of cockiness probably was the primary factor in the high-risk play of going for the TD at the end of the game. I could almost hear DD saying: "F**k OT, we're gonna win this right NOW!"

That being said, if BLM had done two things right, the Stamps would likely be Grey Cup Champs today: he needed to look off the safety -- instead he stared down his receiver, and the safety saw it, gambled and jumped the route. Also, he should have realized that the ONLY thing to avoid, at all costs, in that situation, is the turnover. Take a sack, throw the ball away, take an intentional grounding... anything but a turnover. You've got the tying FG in the bag, make sure that you still have a chance to kick it even if the play doesn't result in a TD.

So, BLM had to throw the ball to the outside, right on the sideline -- either his receiver catches it, or it's incomplete/out-of-bounds. He threw it too far in-field, and, combined with his telegraphing of the pass gave the safety a solid chance at the interception.

Also, a bad decision (from a play-calling standpoint) to have your second-shortest receiver as the target. That play's got to go to the guy who's gonna win the jump-ball (someone like Jorden, at 6'3").

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 12:06 AM

Great tv numbers coming out. Average audience of 4.3 million with almost 10 million tuning in at some point, an increase of 10 percent over last year. 6 million watched the interception. Almost 2 million watched the counted to the grey cup. Audience in southern ontario grew by 58 percent. Gotta be one of the most successful grey cups ever both in the host city and on TV.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 12:08 AM
I am the law!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
Great tv numbers coming out. Average audience of 4.3 million with almost 10 million tuning in at some point, an increase of 10 percent over last year. 6 million watched the interception. Almost 2 million watched the counted to the grey cup. Audience in southern ontario grew by 58 percent. Gotta be one of the most successful grey cups ever both in the host city and on TV.
Grey Cup draws 10% increase in viewership on TSN, RDS
CFL.ca Staff November 27, 2017

Grey Cup ratings see double-digit jump in 2017
Drew Edwards 3downnation November 27, 2017

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 4:58 AM

Interesting that 3downnation feels the need to tell us something that we already know, and "apologize" about Rogers, especially since Trash Madani "writes" for 3down (kind of like the wolf in the henhouse)

Don Cherry gives Grey Cup thumbs up, calls NFL ‘boring’
3Down Staff 3downnation November 27, 2017

Legendary Hockey Night in Canada commentator Don Cherry called out media in our home and native land for wrongfully bashing the Canadian Football League, after an epic Grey Cup.

Cherry’s analysis would be seen as spot on with CFL followers – more than 10 million viewers tuned in at one point or another to Sunday’s snowy, dramatic Grey Cup game. Toronto won in stunning fashion over Calgary 27-24.

It should be noted that Cherry is a Rogers employee because Sportsnet is often criticized by CFL faithful for bashing or ignoring the three-down league. Cherry clearly enjoyed the snow-filled contest that featured Shania Twain riding in on a dog sled for the halftime show and featured a stunning twist at the end. So much Canadiana.

Arguably the biggest personality on the pay roll at Sportsnet is a fan of the CFL.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 6:42 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
And ironically, the one year they send a crappy team to the Grey Cup (2004) they win it. Maybe they need to piss away the regular season, and put all their efforts into being the underdogs and winning it all.
That was actually 2001 against the Bombers (including Milt Stegall & Khari Jones). Calgary QB Marcus Crandell was the GC MVP. I think the Stamps were 8-10 that year. Definitely made up for one of the years they should have won.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 6:46 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Why have the Stamps worn their white Jerseys for the GC two years in a row ?
It used to alternate yearly but is it now determined by where the game is hosted (west or east) ?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 7:13 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
I was so pumped after that great ending that I had a hard time falling asleep... and now they want me to wait six months for more?!?!
I had a hard time sleeping last night too, but not because I was pumped. I kept replaying those last agonizing 5 minutes over and over again - couldn't shake them out of my mind.

Using last year as a gauge I'll say it will take about two weeks for this depressing fog I'm in to start lifting.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Interesting that 3downnation feels the need to tell us something that we already know, and "apologize" about Rogers, especially since Trash Madani "writes" for 3down (kind of like the wolf in the henhouse)

Don Cherry gives Grey Cup thumbs up, calls NFL ‘boring’
3Down Staff 3downnation November 27, 2017

Legendary Hockey Night in Canada commentator Don Cherry called out media in our home and native land for wrongfully bashing the Canadian Football League, after an epic Grey Cup.

Cherry’s analysis would be seen as spot on with CFL followers – more than 10 million viewers tuned in at one point or another to Sunday’s snowy, dramatic Grey Cup game. Toronto won in stunning fashion over Calgary 27-24.

It should be noted that Cherry is a Rogers employee because Sportsnet is often criticized by CFL faithful for bashing or ignoring the three-down league. Cherry clearly enjoyed the snow-filled contest that featured Shania Twain riding in on a dog sled for the halftime show and featured a stunning twist at the end. So much Canadiana.

Arguably the biggest personality on the pay roll at Sportsnet is a fan of the CFL.

It goes both ways.TSN is a irrational Homer to the CFL I don't take tiger Rogers or Bell serious when it comes to the league, both have an agenda. Naylor is a shill for example, that has lots of "exclusives" that are fed to him for desired press. No better then the lackys on ESPN who would dare never be critical of the NFL. You turn that trash off and go find more balanced and deep media from blogs, local news, or other Internet media.

The biggest issue with Sportsnet and all Canadian media is that it is Toronto centric. People need to understsnd the CFL is not on the radar here in Toronto one bit. When media types sling mug at the CFL it is because they are in the Toronto bubble nonstop. CFL has no traction here. Argos win a big game and Prince Harry gets the front of the Toronto Star website today, it's a joke.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post

The biggest issue with Sportsnet and all Canadian media is that it is Toronto centric. People need to understsnd the CFL is not on the radar here in Toronto one bit. When media types sling mug at the CFL it is because they are in the Toronto bubble nonstop. CFL has no traction here. Argos win a big game and Prince Harry gets the front of the Toronto Star website today, it's a joke.
Well his fiancé did live and work in the big smoke, so that trumps all I guess.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 12:12 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
These are "officially" Canada's Royals too, and in much of the country more people are interested in that than in most sports - I think it can be said.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
These are "officially" Canada's Royals too, and in much of the country more people are interested in that than in most sports - I think it can be said.
You got that right!

Wouldn't it be cool if Harry became the permanent Governor General of Canada?

Never happen though, but it would be cool.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 12:34 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Quote:
You got that right!

Wouldn't it be cool if Harry became the permanent Governor General of Canada?

Never happen though, but it would be cool.
More cool than having Julie Payette?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Calgary Harald lead with the Grey Cup. You would expect both participating teams markets to lead with GC, only Calgary did.

Lots of time to fawn over the Royals...

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 1:26 PM
Pro Trivia Player

Let's not go overboard. Almost all of the local Toronto media "led" with the Grey Cup win on Sunday night. Which is when the game result was actually "news".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada