HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 7:30 PM

Here we go..

Lions name Hervey as GM; Buono to coach
TSN.ca Staff November 30 2017

The B.C. Lions announced Thursday that Ed Hervey has been named general manager as the club and Wally Buono will remain as head coach for the 2018 season.

Hervey, 44, served as general manager of the Eskimos from 2013-16, though he first joined the club as a scout in 2007.

He won three Grey Cups while playing with the Eskimos from 1999-2006.

Buono guided the Lions to a 7-11 record this season as the team’s head coach, while also serving as general manager and vice president of football operations.

Buono spent 15 seasons as general manager of the Lions and six as vice president of football operations. He retired from coaching in 2011 after nine years on the sidelines as head coach of the Lions, but returned to the post in 2016.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 7:31 PM
Think about Winnipeg.

^ On the surface, the idea of someone like Buono answering to Ed Hervey seems flat out nuts. How on earth is that going to work?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ On the surface, the idea of someone like Buono answering to Ed Hervey seems flat out nuts. How on earth is that going to work?
Hervey is good at getting players. Wally may be happy with that and allows him to just coach as Hervey gets to know the market and what the Lions need. Meanwhile Wally can mentor Ed and Ed can leave Wally alone as he is only going to stay for one more year anyway.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 7:50 PM

I just caught a bit of the newser (I'll have to go back and watch the whole thing) and I got a good vibe from it. Hervey seemed sufficiently humbled and Wally looked like he was happy with the situation. I think it could work and my intuitions on sports are usually pretty good.

I get the feeling this will be Wally's last hurrah and he wants to go out with a bang, a la Burris, Ray (if he goes out, which is looking less likely)

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Hervey is good at getting players. Wally may be happy with that and allows him to just coach as Hervey gets to know the market and what the Lions need. Meanwhile Wally can mentor Ed and Ed can leave Wally alone as he is only going to stay for one more year anyway.
I see it that way

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 11:11 PM

In past years, Wally leaned heavily on personnel guys like Roy Shivers to find players. I don't think that he has any problem with delegating that role. He's much more comfortable as a Coach than a GM, in my opinion.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 11:39 PM

New Lions GM Ed Hervey blames Maas (and media) for accessibility issues in Edmonton
Drew Edwards 3downnation November 30, 2017

Ed Hervey’s explanation for the media access issues during his tenure with the Edmonton Eskimos: they were Jason Maas’ fault. And the media’s.

Hervey was introduced as the Lions general manager on Thursday and the very first question he was asked dealt with media relations during his stint with the Eskimos. Edmonton abruptly closed their locker-room to reporters in 2014, breaking with longstanding tradition, and the CFL fined the team $20,000 and Maas $15,000 after Maas and quarterback Mike Reilly refused to wear live microphones during a game against the Montreal Alouettes.

Local media complained almost constantly about Hervey’s lack of availability on issues big and small and Edmonton CEO Len Rhodes also cited “resistance to provide access” as one of the main reasons for his shocking decision to fire Hervey last April.

But Hervey’s version of events lays much of the blame at Maas’ feet.

“First of all, those are misleading,” Hervey said of allegations that he wasn’t media-friendly. “The locker room has always been the coach’s decision. It will always be the coach’s decision and it was supported by the organization.

“As far as this media market here… guys, I want everyone to understand. I am a very friendly person. I am an introvert. I don’t do a whole lot of talking, I let the coaches and players do the talking. I don’t live for the limelight.

“I’m excited about building winners. That’s what we’re here for. We want more people in the stands. I’m not here to deny anyone access to the players. I never did that, nor will I ever. I don’t deny them access to the coaches. Never did that, or will I ever.”

Hervey did acknowledge, however, that he wasn’t particularly accessible during his time in Edmonton and that was largely by design.

“I just didn’t do a lot of talking because I didn’t want to be the front man for a football team, I just wanted to lay in the weeds and do the work,” Hervey said. “I think that was the misunderstanding for some in Edmonton because they felt that I should give them everything out the back door. I just wanted to win football games and not get caught up in back story sources. That’s all.”

Wally Buono, the man who hired Hervey and will remain as head coach for one more season, certainly seems to have accepted Hervey’s explanation for how things went down in Edmonton.

“Ed took the bullet. Why is that? Because when you’re the leader, you take the bullets, you don’t expose your people to the bullets. He’s going to do what the coach wants him to do,” Buono said. “Guys, I’m going to suggest to him the locker room is open. Why? I understand our situation. We’ve always been media friendly, sometimes to our detriment. That’s not changing.”

Fans and media, from time to time, want to hear from the team’s general manager about decision’s he’s made. While Hervey may be able to get away with shoving Buono in front of the microphones for another year – Wally is as media-friendly as they come and understands the symbiotic nature of the relationship between media and the CFL – he will need to make himself more available this time around if the Lions have any hope of regaining their relevance in the Vancouver sports market.

Or this…

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 2:32 AM

Back to the Argos - didn't they draw 50,000 to their Grey Cup celebration back in 2012? I seem to recall reading that number in an article. I think there may have been a parade that year.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 3:27 AM
Species: Homo Hamiltonus

Quote:
Wally remains VP of Football Ops. Hervey will be answering to him.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 5:30 AM

The transition has begun in BC but how will it unfold?
Jim Morris CFL.ca November 30, 2017

The old general manager will continue as head coach of the B.C. Lions for one more season.

The new general manager says he wouldn’t have taken the job unless the old coach stayed. The current vice-president of football operations says the new GM can fire the coach, but it would be the owner’s decision to fire the general manager.

Such is the new reality of the BC Lions. How will it all unfold? Check in at this time next year.

Wally Buono announced Thursday he is stepping down as the CFL team’s general manager to concentrate solely on coaching for one final season.

Taking over as GM will be Ed Hervey, who spent 18 years with the Edmonton Eskimos as a player, scout and general manager. Buono will maintain his role as vice-president of football operations.

In short, some things will remain the same for the Leos but there also will be a lot of differences this year.

“The announcement is all part of the next big step for the BC Lions,” Buono, who has won more games than any other CFL coach, said in introducing Hervey.

“We believe he will be a tremendous asset to our football club. He will be, I think, a fresh face, a fresh mind and also has the wherewithal to help this football club improve.”

The hiring of Hervey creates many questions.

How will the relationship work between Buono and Hervey? Will Buono be content to let someone else make big picture decisions? What sway will

Hervey have, if any, over Buono?

If Hervey said he wouldn’t have taken the job if he had any reservations.

“I have said many times in the last few weeks, if I was going to take an opportunity it had to be the right one,” he said. “I wasn’t going to accept the position simply because of taking a job.

“It had to be something that was good for me and good for the people I work with.”

Buono’s future had been in question since the Lions finished a disappointing 7-11 this season and missed the playoffs for the first time since 1996.

Hervey said coaching wasn’t the problem.

“This team is not far off, this team does not need a major overhaul,” said the 44-year-old Houston, Tex., native. “It just needs a tweak here and there. If you are going to tweak things, why would I remove the head coach?

“I believe Wally is a great head coach. I don’t think I would have made the commitment to come here if he wouldn’t commit to being the head coach.”

Hervey was asked about working in Buono’s shadow. The question irritated Buono.

“This is not going to work if you continually want to cast my shadow,” Buono snapped at the media. “I am doing this because I want to coach.

“I want to coach a football team I still believe in.”

Hervey called Buono a valuable resource any GM would want.

“I can learn from one of the greatests in the game,” he said. “I believe coach Buono gives this team, our team, the best opportunity to success.”
Buono made it clear that 2018 will be his final season with the Lions.

“This is my final year,” he said. “Don’t ask me what I’m doing after 2018 because I’m not coaching. I’m not going to be involved with the BC Lions. I might be involved with the CFL.”

A decision on the rest of the Lions coaching staff will be made in the coming weeks.

For most of his 23 years with Calgary and BC, Buono held the duo role of coach and general manager. He’s come to change his opinion on whether one person can perform both tasks in the modern CFL.

“I’ve always believed the general manager and head coach could be one person,” he said. “I’m not sure today I believe that anymore.

“The reason is, the complexity of the CFL in building our team has changed dramatically. The procuring of players, the business of football, is a lot more complicated and a lot more complex and probably a lot more hands-on today than its ever been.”

In the Western Division only Chris Jones of the Saskatchewan Roughriders holds the title as coach and general manager.

Buono wanted to maintain the role as team vice-president to assist in the relationship between Hervey and owner David Braley.

“David is comfortable in dealing with me,” said Buono. “He has to now also start building a relationship with Ed.”

Dennis Skulsky retired as team president in January. No one was hired to replace him.

Speculation through the season was Braley would sell the team over the winter. Buono has said Braley has told him he plans to maintain ownership of the team through 2018.

Hervey is focused on the present rather than what might happen in the future under potential new ownership.

“Hey man, I played football with three different head coaches, five different coordinators,” he said. “That stuff doesn’t matter to me. You just deal with the year that is coming.”

Hervey played eight seasons with the Eskimos as a receiver. He was twice named an all-star and was part of two Grey Cup champions.

After retiring in 2007 Hervey served as a scout to 2012 when he was named general manager. The Eskimos were 4-14 in 2013 but won the 2015 Grey Cup.

In April of this year Hervey was fired.

Len Rhodes, Edmonton’s president and chief operating officer explained the move by saying the team and Hervey couldn’t agree on a contract extension. There also were “differences in philosophy over the way we do business.”

Hervey enjoyed his years with the Eskimos but is looking forward to new challenges with the Lions.

“The journey in this sport somethings takes you down roads,” he said. “One door closes and another one opens.

“The one that closed for me was an 18-year opportunity that I have great memories of. I’m looking forward to the new opportunity here in Vancouver with the Lions.”

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 9:35 PM

Grey Cup festivities at Lansdowne Park, November 26.

https://twitter.com/MathieuFleury?re...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 5:11 PM

Drake poses for Grey Cup picture as Argos buzz in Toronto grows
3Down Staff December 1, 2017

The Grey Cup champion Toronto Argos brought the silver trophy to the Raptors game on Friday night and Drake snapped a picture.

That’s a huge get for the Argos.

Ricky Ray and the double blue bunch were honoured by their Toronto counterparts at mid-court.

Drake clearly wanted to touch the cup after watching the game on Sunday.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 10:05 PM

Hell freezing over?

After 10 minutes of the PTS old geezers snoozing us up with their out of touch commentary, one of them Joey Vendetta or Hugh Burrill makes this startling comment.

Apparently there are rumours that "Rogers might get back involved with the Argos" (43:30) Who knows what that means or if it is more of PTS's uninformed nonsense.

Has the world gone topsy-turvy?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Hell freezing over?

After 10 minutes of the PTS old geezers snoozing us up with their out of touch commentary, one of them Joey Vendetta or Hugh Burrill makes this startling comment.

Apparently there are rumours that "Rogers might get back involved with the Argos" (43:30) Who knows what that means or if it is more of PTS's uninformed nonsense.

Has the world gone topsy-turvy?
Not sure what real benefit Rogers brings to the Argos and CFL unless longer term they get in a bidding war for the next tv contract with TSN and the CFL gets more revenue out of it as a result.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Not sure what real benefit Rogers brings to the Argos and CFL unless longer term they get in a bidding war for the next tv contract with TSN and the CFL gets more revenue out of it as a result.
I don't want to see Rogers anywhere near a uniquely Canadian product unless there is a total change in their previous attitudes and practices.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 1:42 AM

Just curious to see what amount of TV money (from the NFL Network) people here would take to change the season (start and end earlier) 10, 20, 40 or more million/year. The NFLN is desperate for live content before the season begins and it looks like they are talking to the CFL to do a deal.

There are a lot of ramifications to this other than not freezing your butt off in November. ie To satisfy TSN (which gets good ratings from a Thursday night game) the league suffers at the gate playing on a Thursday. Changing the season puts the league in competition with other properties when now they own November. This decision could be a game changer.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Just curious to see what amount of TV money (from the NFL Network) people here would take to change the season (start and end earlier) 10, 20, 40 or more million/year. The NFLN is desperate for live content before the season begins and it looks like they are talking to the CFL to do a deal.

There are a lot of ramifications to this other than not freezing your butt off in November. ie To satisfy TSN (which gets good ratings from a Thursday night game) the league suffers at the gate playing on a Thursday. Changing the season puts the league in competition with other properties when now they own November. This decision could be a game changer.
CFL games on ESPN 2 and 3 average usually between 150 and 285 thousand viewers per game with zero promotion from ESPN. That surpasses many MLS games ratings in the states. Currently MLS gets $75 million per year from FOX sports and ESPN per year combined for a 34 week regular season.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 3:07 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:

I would like to see the season moved up with or without TV money.
Lets play in June rather than November.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 3:11 AM
Think about Winnipeg.

Quote:
I don't want to see Rogers anywhere near a uniquely Canadian product unless there is a total change in their previous attitudes and practices.
Yeah, really. Last time Rogers "helped" the CFL it ended up pretty well costing the Argos a shot at getting their own stadium built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
CFL games on ESPN 2 and 3 average usually between 150 and 285 thousand viewers per game with zero promotion from ESPN. That surpasses many MLS games ratings in the states. Currently MLS gets $75 million per year from FOX sports and ESPN per year combined for a 34 week regular season.
Given that CFL games reportedly draw respectable ratings, I find it a little surprising that the league hasn't really been able to reach even a moderately lucrative TV deal in the US. Even something like $10 million a year or something along those lines, a couple of games a week on the same channel, that kind of thing.

There were quite a few years where the CFL was only on America One which is the most amateurish, half-baked network out there... getting on the various ESPN sub-channels was a big step forward as most if not all games are at least streamed on ESPN 3.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Yeah, really. Last time Rogers "helped" the CFL it ended up pretty well costing the Argos a shot at getting their own stadium built.
Hasn't done much for USports.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry at this (CanCon is bolded at bottom, what little there is)

Television: CIS and Sportsnet announce 6-year deal
USports.ca May 08, 2013

OTTAWA (Sportsnet/CIS) – Canadian Interuniversity Sport and Sportsnet announced Wednesday a six-year agreement for the multiplatform rights to an all-encompassing portfolio of university sports across television, online and mobile.

The agreement, which begins this season and runs through the 2018-19 academic year, features expanded coverage of men’s and women’s CIS sport, headlined by the Vanier Cup and also including the following marquee events: Football national semifinals (Mitchell Bowl and Uteck Bowl), women’s and men’s hockey championships, women’s and men’s basketball championships, and much more.

“CIS athletes have proven they can compete at world-class levels, and now they will receive the world-class coverage they deserve,” said Navaid Mansuri, vice-president, Programming, Sportsnet. “CIS is a highly valued, long-term partner, and we look forward to working with them to significantly increase the profile of Canadian university sports and expose the country to some of our best athletes and stars in the making – along with sharing the game-day excitement from campuses across Canada. The sky is the limit from here.”

“This is a historic day for university sport in Canada,” said Pierre Lafontaine, chief executive officer of CIS. “This expanded, long-term partnership with Sportsnet will help elevate the CIS brand and provide our 11,000 student athletes, 700 coaches and 54 member institutions the recognition they deserve.

By the end of the six-year partnership in 2018-19, as many as 27 CIS events could air annually on Sportsnet.

About Canadian Interuniversity Sport

Canadian Interuniversity Sport is the national governing body of university sport in Canada. Every year, 11,000 student-athletes and 700 coaches from 54 universities and four regional associations vie for 21 national championships in 12 different sports. CIS also provides high performance international opportunities for Canadian student-athletes at Winter and Summer Universiades, as well as numerous world university championships. For further information, visit www.cis-sic.ca or follow us on:

About Sportsnet

Sportsnet connects Canadian sports fans to their favourite teams and athletes, using five platforms: TV, Radio, Print, Online and Mobile. Sportsnet is Fuelled By Fans, and delivers storytelling on a local, regional, national and global level. The multiplatform brand consists of Sportsnet, sportsnet.ca, Sportsnet 590 The FAN, Sportsnet 960 The FAN, Sportsnet magazine, Sportsnet Mobile and the Hockey Central app on iPad and Playbook. Sportsnet is the Canadian leader in NHL and MLB television broadcasts and is home to 162 Toronto Blue Jays games, plus MLB Playoffs and the World Series. Sportsnet is an official licensed broadcaster of the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil and also offers an exciting sports lineup including the NFL, the Memorial Cup, CIS Vanier Cup, Ultimate Fighting Championship®, Grand Slam of Curling, IndyCar, the Rogers Cup tennis tournament, and extensive soccer programming including Barclays Premier League, UEFA Champions League, UFEA Europa League, MLS Vancouver Whitecaps FC, CONCACAF and Canadian national team matches for men and women. Connected is the network’s nightly news program, providing regional and national coverage of the day’s events in the world of sports.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada