HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 12:40 PM
Closed account

^^ Ahh! My Eyes!!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 1:31 PM

It just looks like a big bus shelter to me.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 2:07 PM
Closed account

brutal!! it looks like they pieced it together from different bus stops or something.
One of the busiest stops in the city, I think they could have gotten a nice new one for there.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 2:39 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
brutal!! it looks like they pieced it together from different bus stops or something.
One of the busiest stops in the city, I think they could have gotten a nice new one for there.
It is the Frankenstein of bus shelters, yes! haha

I'm pretty sure once it's complete it'll be painted one, uniform colour. It's just not done yet.

What *I* don't understand, however, is why they put the Ad Walls closest to Main St? They should have had them in the 2nd slot, closest to the Mac Ctr? The way it currently is, you can't just look out to see when a bus is coming... u actually have to step out?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 2:45 PM
Closed account

probably because most of the suits at HSR never ride the system. They'd rather make the advertising easy to read for passing cars on Main.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 11:06 PM
Closed account

for pete's sake...another one of these ghetto stops was installed today at King/Dundurn.
I remember the HSR saying they plan to 'brand' the B-Line with unique signs, stops, stations etc....
is this that 'branding' effort??? put up the ugliest, ghetto stations in the city in an attempt to attract riders??? fricks sake.

I hope they plan on painting them or doing something. Would it have killed them to buy new shelters for the B-Line stops?
I guess we'll see. I don't believe they are this stupid (yes, even the HSR) to leave these things looking like this. I guess the blue is part of the B-Line colours. A nice blue would be good.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 11:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

They'll probably paint it in the Spring, drier weather.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
They'll probably paint it in the Spring, drier weather.
Lets hope I walked by main/John couple of days ago and looked really

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 1:32 PM
Closed account

THE TARP IS UP AT EASTGATE
Don't worry, I'm bringing my camera tmw as I have to for work anyway! haha

That's not the most ghetto bus shelter I have ever seen, rth. In the NY/Scarbrough area I have seen these wooden structures that look like Jason Voorhees (from Friday the 13th) would inhabit! OMG they're so scary! I can't imagine anyone wanting to wait in one of those for a bus!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 1:57 PM
Closed account

haha..true enough...my wife is from scarborough. the buses AND shelters out there were brutal.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 2:37 PM
It's Hammer Time

Yay the tarp is up! Me wanna see!

Better GO Train service promised
Jan, 16 2008 - 6:00 AM

HAMILTON (AM900 CHML) - A promise of better GO train service out of Hamilton as GO Transit has unveiled its new locomotives.

Premier McGuinty attend a ceremony in Toronto yesterday to help show off the faster, more power and fuel efficient series of railway engines which are capable of pulling longer trains with up to 300 additional passengers.

McGuinty says it means commuters from Hamilton will see added trains as early as next year.

Informal talks have begun to locate a second GO station in downtown Hamilton would could also see the return of Via Rail passenger service.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 2:58 PM
Hammer'd

About bloody time.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 3:14 PM
It's Hammer Time

http://www.680news.com/news/national...tent=n0115141A

"McGuinty said the announcement would benefit commuters in Toronto and as far out as Hamilton, which has been calling for hourly service for decades. But the premier could not say when hourly service would be extended to Hamilton, and he instead touted his government's long-term transit plan.

"We've got a very dramatic investment in GO trains and in public transit generally though our MoveOntario 2020 investment," McGuinty said. "In the grand scheme of things, our plan would be considered very, very aggressive.""

Basically he's talking about building another GO Station in Hamilton part of MoveOntario 2020 investment by the waterfront which will make it easier to have more GO Trains into Hamilton. We'll probably hear more about this during the spring budget from Queen's Park.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 3:32 PM
Closed account

he couldn't say when hourly service will come to Hamilton because he knows it won't happen anytime during his reign..or the guy after him, or after him, or after him.....

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 4:01 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Informal talks have begun to locate a second GO station in downtown Hamilton would could also see the return of Via Rail passenger service.
So does this suggest they'll keep TH&B Stn open for GO as well? That's very interesting!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 5:01 PM

The current GO Centre will definitely remain open.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 5:20 PM
Hammer'd

I can't see them leaving the current one. They just spent tons of money on it in 1999, and the facilities are still underused as it is. They probably wouldn't be able to fit bus bays in anywhere where the new station will be anyway.

Only problem I see is that it's going to be confusing for those who need to get from one to the other. The HSR will need to add a route that runs Northbound on James from the core. Currently the 99 Waterfront Shuttle is the only one, and it only runs in the summer. I'm thinking some kind of route that started at the TH&B, ran North on James looping at the new GO station, then running West over to Dundurn or Locke, then making it's way back to the TH&B somehow.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 5:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

Rush hour GO Train service will continue at TH&B Station well non rush hour service will go at the new second GO Station by the waterfront. So Hamilton will have 2 GO Stations in the downtown.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 6:23 PM
It's Hammer Time

This is why I think it's important and critical that the City and HSR start evaluating a new rapid transit line from one Station (TH&B) to the new Station by Liuna Station along Hughson Street. Close down Hughson Street for cars and replace it with perhaps with trolley buses, cheaper than trams or LRT.

This station looks like it'll be built around 2010. By that time the Presto card will be online and so people can park their cars by the new GO Station, new parking garage, and hop on this transit line along Hughson Street using the Presto card and again using the Presto card to get on the GO Train or Bus. Vice versa for people going to the TH&B Station on the transit line to get to the other Station to hop on the VIA train. Everything will link up together for convince, that's how you are going to attract ridership.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Better GO Train service promised
Jan, 16 2008 - 6:00 AM

HAMILTON (AM900 CHML) - A promise of better GO train service out of Hamilton as GO Transit has unveiled its new locomotives.
This could mean adding one more morning train as is currently allowed by scheduling. Also, possibly, a reduction in the 15 minute travel time between Hamilton and Aldershot, although I believe this is governed by speed restrictions on the tracks, not the engine's capability.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure