HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 5:19 PM
On Guard For Thee

The RBG debate was solved awhile back--RBG materials all read Hamilton/Burlington--I think that's a fair comprimise--no reason to bicker over something that is so beneficial to both cities--the land is mostly in Hamilton and the HQ is in Burlington...no real debate that I can see.

I'm intrigued by what "destination" store Redcliff is talking about. Maybe it's confirmation that the "Loblaws" element will be an RCSS instead of a Fortinos--I know that's not very exciting--but it would be the first one in the city--closest currently is Grimsby. Wasn't there Best Buy talk also?...closest currently is Burlington. Linens N Things? I'm not trying to low-ball the excitement--just can't imagine what it would be.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 5:24 PM
Closed account

wow...if those are considered destination stores these days then people really need to get lives.
"Hey Jim! Did you hear? A new linens and things just opened in Hamilton!!! Let's pack up the kids!"

I think Great Canadian Super Store was already announced a while back, even though today they say Loblaws. I can't see that being a 'destination'. All these grocery stores are identical these days.

I always thought that desintation stores referred to something not in the area. H&M mens store would sure be nice in the Hammer. I really liked that store in Boston and NYC. I wish Jackson Sq management would get off their duffs and go chase them down.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 5:28 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
I think Great Canadian Super Store was already announced a while back, even though today they say Loblaws. I can't see that being a 'destination'. All these grocery stores are identical these days.
Loblaws is at the top of the chain and they own places like Fortinos, Zehrs and Superstore. If you look at the square footage (nearly the same as Zeller's) of the store it's massive so it has to be a Superstore not a regular grocery store.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 5:30 PM
It's Hammer Time

If Yale had any brains they would set up a team to woo Sears to Jackson Square from Centre Mall.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 5:50 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
If Yale had any brains they would set up a team to woo Sears to Jackson Square from Centre Mall.
man...you're so right.
I wish they had a friggin website or some way to contact management.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 6:00 PM
It's Hammer Time

Maybe the destination will be a new cinema complex, used to have one at Centre Mall. AMC perhaps? They like box big formats.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 8:46 PM
On Guard For Thee

I'm just running through the list of retailers that aren't currently in Hamilton that might consider opening at Barton and Ottawa--like I said, being a realist here--Holt Renfrew would be a great 'destination'...but 't'ian't going on Barton Street. Now a bookstore and/or cinema would be a nice addition to the area.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 9:03 PM
Closed account

yea, I could see a theatre/ or Indigo coming there....I think there's an Indigo in Burlington, but none in the Hammer.
It would have to be something that currently doesn't exist at Limeridge or Eastgate.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 9:48 PM

Talk to the staff at the Barn at the Centre Mall, they have been told it will be a Superstore for the Loblaws chain.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 10:51 PM

There was talk of a Best Buy coming to Centre Mall a while back, but I don't know if that would be the destination store they are referring to (don't really consider BB as a destination store).

Now, IKEA could definitely be described as a destination store...

Old Posted Nov 24, 2007, 11:19 PM
It's Hammer Time

A good friend of mine works at Best Buy and she said there'll be replacing the Future Shop at Meadowlands with Best Buy and that they'll be another one in Hamilton, she narrowed it down to East End I believe. She never said Centre Mall.

Crate and Barrel is expanding in Canada.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 3:11 AM
On Guard For Thee

Crate & Barrel, Pottery Barn and the A&F/Hollister outfit are all expanding in Canada--all would be welcome additions--nonetheless, a C&B would be unlikely to ever grace Barton Street--let alone doing so before they opened in Burlington or Ancaster.

I posted a little history lesson on Centre Mall back on the previous forum, I will rehash some highlights. I'm assuming The Barn is a goner--this building (though heavily altered) dates back to inception of Centre Mall (formally The Greater Hamilton Shopping Centre). The structure occupied by The Barn was originally a Dominion supermarket. Dominion was owned at the time by Argus--the conglomerate controlled by E.P. Taylor, the one-time horseracing magnate who replaced his fading horse-racing properties with shopping malls in the 1950s...the Centre of course occupies the site of the Hamilton Jockey Club--a thoroughbred track owned by Taylor. The original Dominion on the site was replaced by a Dominion-owned discount outlet called Best For Less sometime in the 1980s--eventually was expanded and reverted to the Dominion banner--before Dominion itself was bought by A&P--and the Centre location was rebranded with the A&P imprint. It remained an A&P until A&P purchased the local Barn chain and converted everything in the Hamilton area over to the Barn name--got all that? Just a brief look at the history of one of the buildings on the site. Incidentally--the current Canadian Tire building was originally a Loblaws--it closed in the recession of the early 1980s when Loblaws withdrew from the Hamilton market. When the original Canadian Tire store was taken over by Odeon Theaters, the Tire moved up to the renovated/expanded Loblaws site.

The Zellers--as I mentioned before was originally an upscale store called Morgan's--was converted to The Bay in the 1960s before passing to the Hamilton-based Robinson's chain. The Bay came back and bought up the Robinson's locations in Hamilton in the early 1990s--and the Centre Mall location became a rare, two-level Zellers--though some of it was divided off for Celebrity Billiards.

The Centre was also home to two other Hamilton institutions over the years--a Denniger's and a National Bakery.

The Sears (originally Simpson-Sears) was one of the first Canadian Sears stores and has operated almost unaltered since the Centre was built (some of the first floor was ceded for mall expansion in the early 1990s.) If you want a nostalgia trip visit Sears vintage 1950s restrooms.

Interesting that another of Taylor's 1950s malls, Don Mills Centre, is being redeveloped in almost identical fashion to the Centre.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2007, 5:52 AM

Why do you guys want destination stores in Centre Mall? In another thread the talk is on a stagnet downtown retail market. The reason for that is because of places like Centre Mall. So why try to prop up Centre Mall?

The best thing the city should do is look at ways that Centre Mall can be closed down, and let the retail find its way back downtown.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 12:14 PM
Closed account

ok, so in todays Spec Paul Wilson talks about this being the last Christmas for the Sears at Centre Mall.
However, it is strongly hinted that a new Sears will open very nearby once this once closes.
Any guesses?
I'm going to say Eastgate Square, but boy, downtown would be nice too.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 12:14 PM
It's Hammer Time

Last Christmas rush for landmark Sears

Paul Wilson
The Hamilton Spectator
(Dec 12, 2007)

"I admire your economic courage and daring in putting up a store like this in this end of the city and wish you success," said Mayor Lloyd Jackson.

"I feel this store and its methods of merchandising will make a great contribution to Hamilton."

With those words, the mayor declared the new Simpsons-Sears at Barton and Kenilworth officially open.

It was Nov. 17, 1954, and they needed nearly 50 city and special police to control the traffic and the crowds. It wasn't just the free balloons and 66-cent silk stockings. People were curious, because Hamilton had never seen a store like this. It was huge, 200,000 square feet on two floors, one of the biggest stores built in Canada since the war.

And it wasn't downtown. This was the first of the suburban stores, and it came with 1,500 parking spaces and its own gas station, ready to serve 14 cars.

Inside the air-conditioned premises, with 52 strategically-placed speakers playing music and announcing specials, there was a beauty salon, hearing aid and optical departments, restaurant, rifle and shotgun counter, 12 complete room displays in the furniture department, a Christmas Kiddieland with merry-go-round, fish pond, racing cars and a CNR Flyer miniature train.

It was just the year before that Simpsons-Sears had been formed and this was its first big U.S.-style store in Eastern Canada.

"We have great confidence in Hamilton," said president E.G. Burton on opening day, "or we would not have spent several million dollars on this store and three million on the merchandise to stock it."

Half a century later, what confidence does Sears have in Hamilton?

We don't know yet, but this looks to be the store's last Christmas. Several months ago, Sears Canada (70 per cent owned by Sears Roebuck of the U.S.) sold the building to the parties redeveloping Centre Mall. They say the store is to come down sometime in 2008.

Centre Mall, which rose up to the immediate west of Sears, is coming down, too, and big-box stores will begin to fill that acreage. So far, the lineup is pretty much players already on site, like Shoppers Drug Mart, Zellers, Canadian Tire.

Sears Canada head office is only saying that they "plan to relocate in the Hamilton market."

That sure sounds as though they're leaving the corner. If so, Centre Mall still needs a big draw. Zellers and Canadian Tire are fine, but that Sears is the only outlet in the lower city.

Centre Mall Sears store manager Cathie Weadick says she's told her people they will have jobs and they won't have far to go to them. The new store is sure to be on one floor and you'll be able to push a shopping cart through it.

And it probably won't be in a building that Sears owns. The big stores prefer to be tenants today.

But back in 1954, Simpsons-Sears (the Simpsons part of the name drifted away in the '70s) was proud to have a building of its own. The company erected and stocked it in seven months.

Weadick started her career here 32 years ago and returned as store manager two years ago. Her office is the original, a large, richly panelled space, complete with conference table that bears cigarette scars from a time when most meetings were smoky.

She has a staff of about 400. In 1954, there were twice that number. Beyond the sales floor, Weadick shows us where many of them worked. Here on the second floor is the big empty space that was home to the advertising department. That's centralized elsewhere now. Same for the buying department, credit, catalogue, accounting, display, printing.

We travel down the original Otis escalator. The store hoped it would last to the end, but it was clunking so dramatically this fall that they had to shut it down for six weeks. The repair bill was nearly $100,000 and that magnificent relic, with aqua-coloured side panels, will be of no use in the new place.

Marge Hannigan, 83, doesn't ride the escalator. Daughter Cheryl is pushing her over to a freight elevator so they can get to second-floor china.

Marge started working at the very beginning, one of 5,000 applicants.

She was a single mother, raising Cheryl, and stayed with Sears 33 years. For awhile, her grandchildren believed she owned Sears.

She will return next Thursday. There, in the staff cafeteria, she'll be served a Christmas banquet with all the trimmings. There will be draws, the managers will sing some carols and, because this is the last Christmas party on site, there may be a gift -- perhaps an inscribed tree ornament.

Marge Hannigan looks forward to the event every year, but this one will be hard. "I'm so sick about it I could cry," she says.

"This store was my bread and butter."

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 2:27 PM
Closed account

sure sounds like the current Walmart space at Eastgate will be there new home.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 4:35 PM

Walmart may have no choice but to stay put should the rezoning of the Centennial and QEW industrial site be denied. But they are not the only major tenant reconsidering their long-term presence at Eastgate. I recently heard a rumour that once Walmart leaves, Sears will take their old space and HBC will convert the Bay to Zellers format. If Walmart has to stay put, HBC may just up and leave, and that free space would be taken up by Sears.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 4:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

So no matter what Sears is moving to Eastgate. The only problem is demo starts in the new year and Sears may be homeless for months, as it looks like Wal-Mart isn't moving for awhile or may never move.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 4:47 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

The city really should create some kind of tax break or leasing agreement to get them to locate downtown. They will only locate downtown if there is incentive. Sears downtown would incubate the area as a retail destination. Getting the store to locate downtown is pivotal to the future of the core.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 6:22 PM
Closed account

or one of the HBC stores could come downtown...doesn't have to be Sears.
If they take the Bay out of Eastgate that will mean that there is no Bay in the lower city anymore and only 1 in the entire city.
Seems a bit odd.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues