HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 4:42 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I was talking about the new construction residential. I'm still confused by One 11 West. This is rendered as a 8-story building, but all I keep seeing is six. I can't tell if they've lowered it, or if construction has simply stopped.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 5:31 PM

I'm surprised they're just letting those two residential projects sit there. Kind of a let down at the moment.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
I was talking about the new construction residential. I'm still confused by One 11 West. This is rendered as a 8-story building, but all I keep seeing is six. I can't tell if they've lowered it, or if construction has simply stopped.
Construction has stopped.

I think part of it is do to a Detroit labor shortage. Because Detroit requires publicly financed projects to have at least 51% of the workers to be Detroit residents, contractors get fined for not meeting this goal. As of July 2016, only 33% of the workers at the LCA were Detroit residents resulting in a half a million dollar fine against the contractors. I wouldn't be surprised if they simply delayed the non-arena projects simply because they want to avoid paying more fines than they have to. There's simply not enough Detroit residents actually getting trained for skilled trades for the size and number of these construction projects. But I'm just speculating and the delays could be for other reasons.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 4:57 AM

Okay, so construction is confirmed stopped. That's what I was wondering. My guess is that most of the crews were sent to keep finishing up on the actual arena. I get the feeling that it wasn't quite as done as they expected it to be upon its opening for whatever reason...which may very well include a artificially created labor shortage. But, we won't know that until someone writes the book on District Detroit.

How far as the Arena Lofts along?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 2:11 PM

Only the first floor is up on the Arena Lofts. It's the L-shaped building in front of the arena parking garage and construction stopped at the same time that the One 11 West did.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 3:25 AM

Red Wings home opener with Olympic-style opening ceremony.

Video Link

Also an aerial time lapse from construction start in June 2015 to September 2017. This is the last aerial drone video for construction of the arena.

Video Link

Last edited by animatedmartian; Oct 6, 2017 at 3:37 AM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 2:24 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Red Wings home opener with Olympic-style opening ceremony.

Video Link
That is some insane projection technology (and a bit disorienting, even without a few beers). Endless possibilities with animating the ice like that. This arena has set the bar high for future similar venues.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 11:50 PM

It's times like these when I really question whether or not the Illitches will come through on their planned restoration projects. They've done very little work on the Eddystone in the past 3 years, and not hiring enough Detroiters for LCA really signals a red flag for me.

The arena came out great, and while I like the new development (such as the LC HQ and the School of Business) I can't help but think their original plans won't ever materialize.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit1995 View Post
It's times like these when I really question whether or not the Illitches will come through on their planned restoration projects. They've done very little work on the Eddystone in the past 3 years, and not hiring enough Detroiters for LCA really signals a red flag for me.

The arena came out great, and while I like the new development (such as the LC HQ and the School of Business) I can't help but think their original plans won't ever materialize.
They will, it's just as the number of construction projects going on in Detroit increase, the available pool of construction labor will decrease and all projects across the city will take longer to finish. Especially any projects financed with public money. Privately funded projects might just end up getting more expensive as contractors attempt to increase wages to attract laborers.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:55 AM

A month into the opening of the LCA and it's already hosted a ton of events with much success. It's like it wasn't even under construction just a short time ago.

https://twitter.com/LCArena_Detroit

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:08 PM
Registered Ugly

Amazing. I mean, it had to happen. Just weird to see the transition so quickly.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:34 PM

Agreed now i'd like to see that zeal and efficiency put towards renovating the UA building and their properties around Cass Park and Fox Town as well as District Detroit developments, hopefully after the Illitch Business School is done they will pivot their resources.

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Google close to deal for new building near Little Caesars Arena
By KIRK PINHO. October 13, 2017. Crains Detroit.

Internet giant Google is nearing a deal for at least 35,000 square feet of new office space next to Little Caesars Arena in downtown Detroit.

According to CoStar Group Inc., a Washington, D.C.-based real estate information service, Google is moving from Birmingham to 2645 Woodward Ave., which is the arena's address.

However, there is a recently completed building on Henry Street where the company is expected to go, a source familiar with the deal confirmed to Crain's on Friday.

That building is four floors with 16,760 square feet of ground-level restaurant and retail space and 46,970 square feet of office space above, according to CoStar.

If the deal comes to fruition, it would be one of the biggest wins so far for the Ilitch family in its quest to build out the 50-block District Detroit project that's anchored by the new arena for the Detroit Red Wings and Detroit Pistons.

While some new retail tenants, such as restaurants in and around the new arena, have been announced, Google would be the first large user not affiliated with the Ilitches to take space in the district.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-caesars-arena

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 12:32 AM

^ I wonder what that "new" building on Henry Street is?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 8:14 PM

It's the building pictured in the article. Next door to the Team Store.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 3:36 AM

Not according to the Detroit News article it's not. They are talking about a new construction between the arena and the freeway.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 4:11 AM

I'm more inclined to trust Crain's since the space pictured would be ready sooner than any new(er) building and it's already more than enough than what Google has stated they are looking for.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Google confirms its new office space location next to Little Caesars Arena
By KIRK PINHO. November 20, 2017. Crain's Detroit.

Internet giant Google has confirmed that it will move more than 100 media sales and technical support employees into office space next to Little Caesars Arena.

The 29,178-square-foot office at 52 East Henry St. is expected to open in the spring.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...little-caesars

As a side note... man there's so many company logos all over this thing.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 4:36 PM

Glass and facades going up on the Illitch School of Business. On track to finish by spring 2018.

http://www.dailydetroit.com/2017/12/...hool-business/

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 2:01 PM

This is across the street on the south side of The Alhambra or north of the Eddystone. Street View.

Quote:
Temple West project includes new parking garage, possible residential, office space in District Detroit

Construction is underway on a new $30 million mixed-use project in The District Detroit area expected to be complete by the end of next year.
The 285,000-square-foot Temple West building is planned to include seven floors of parking with 730 spaces plus 3,600 square feet of retail space on the first floor at the corner of Temple Street and Park Avenue.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...le-residential

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development