HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 1:54 AM

Impressive.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 7:21 PM

This thread is extremely dead.

Well... the Cotton Exchange.

Was just announced to undergo re-design and is being drawn back to due to "parking problems"... whatever that means. :| I don't understand what parking problems he speaks of since the taller building included a 4 story parking garage. Seems to me, he has lack of vision. Hopefully he'll still produc something great for this prime corner in BT. I'm hoping he keeps the condos and the two bottom floors of retail and restaurant only.

Meanwhile the Heights on 7th has undergone design again going from this

to this...

Not that big of a change. :/

The Brownstones at Maywood Park are nearing completion and they should start building the remaining 100 units soon.

photos courtesy of SRG of SSC. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=649610

And thats just a quick run-down of a few projects.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 8:55 PM

It is a shame about the cotton exchange. It would have been nice. If he scales it back but still on par with the JM Place?(the building with Mickey Mantles and skyy bar) it would still be a good development.

As for the Maywood Park area, it is coming along nicely. When those trees mature and people begin moving in, its going to be a great area.

Does anyone know if they are going to develop andthing on the sw corner of 2nd and Walnut, where the detox center is? Because I heard the detox center might be moved to the other side of downtown.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 11:27 PM

Thats what I'm hoping for also Worthy. I'm hoping that even though he's scaling back the CE that it'll still be a grand development. I really wish he keeps the condos though. I think the taller building is the only one that is going to change.

The detox center will most certainly be developed. All of that land is extremely popular and with all of the stuff being built that that land is prime, especially with it being right next to Walnut Bridge. I think that once the detox center is moved it'll be snatched up pretty quickly. And, If you can't tell from my post, then yes, the detox center is most definitely being moved.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2008, 11:51 AM
Big City Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post

photos courtesy of SRG of SSC. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=649610

And thats just a quick run-down of a few projects.
This picture already looks awesome and urban! GO OKC..

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 5:42 PM

i'm very frustrated with our city, i love what has happened and what the future holds, but everything is behind schedule, and i've been looking at all these other cities forums, like Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, Ft. Worth, and they are all building up up and up!!!! why can't we?!?! yes devon will be amazing but still we haven't had sh** since like 84!!!!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 6:06 PM
Funkytown's finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroberts24 View Post
i'm very frustrated with our city, i love what has happened and what the future holds, but everything is behind schedule, and i've been looking at all these other cities forums, like Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, Ft. Worth, and they are all building up up and up!!!! why can't we?!?! yes devon will be amazing but still we haven't had sh** since like 84!!!!
You mean just Austin, Dallas, and Houston. San Antonio isn't really building that much, and here in Fort Worth, we're just now getting our first 500+ft. skyscraper in like 20 years. That's it! I'm not saying Fort Worth should try and compete with Dallas, Houston, Miami, and Atlanta when it comes to the skyline department, but for God's sake, I think we deserve more than just 6 skyscrapers. Seriously.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 7:21 PM

yeah u had a key point 500+ft, i'm not sure exactly how how chase is in ft. but 500? not sure and that was in 71 and now finally one big building coming

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 9:11 PM

Chase is exactly 500'.

Don't get discouraged over seeing what is going on in Austin, Dallas, SA,and Houston. Well basically all of East Texas. Those places are tops for jobs and quality of life and such.

While OKC is no slouch in those categories (being included in such lists as best recession proof and cost to live) we are gaining momentum and developers and local businesses are taking notice and starting to invest money here rather than someplace else. Just look at downtown over the past 5 years and places like memorial in NW OKC. Of course not all projects will go forward (BOOO to Mr. Cotton) but with core to shore about to start shaping up it's going to be fun over the next few years.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 10:12 PM

yeah, i just get so sick of things like mr cotton, the factory, and all the others, and i'm sure tons more that i don't even know about..... There is so much potential here and if i could, hopefully in the next 20 years i can, but i would do anything i could to build more and develop the city. i know we have the money i just wish more people were as passionate about this city as i am.

once I-40 is moved hopefully we got those 5 new towers as the core to shore shows, but i have a bad feeling that those will fall thru like so many other things, or they will be downgraded and we will all be disappointed once again. i really hope i'm wrong and everything just takes off, i guess we will see here in 10 years.

i also think i very big reason we don't have that big convention hotel, company's building DT, and highrise condo's is b/c of the lack of convention space. i think once we build a state of the art convention center those other things mmite be a reality. i think as soon I-40 is moved the first thing to be built needs to be that, but who knows that mite be a loooong time.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 10:16 PM
Bears of antiquity

Congrats on getting the Sonics, OKC! Long hard battle, but Clay was destined to win someday!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 11:58 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroberts24 View Post
Patience. Omaha used to be really boring in the skyscraper construction area, and it's skyline was lacking. But with the construction of First National Center, that city's downtown has had new growth downtown, not just in restoration and redevelopment, but also in new skyscrapers. Some of these are really some decent designs that I'd proud of in Austin.

So with Devon planning a new headquarters in Oklahoma City with a signature tower, I would expect more development to follow. More office buildings and more residential and hotel and even retail. It'll happen. The fact that a major corporation is planning a tower in downtown Oklahoma City shows that they have a lot of confidence in it. I would expect others to follow.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 1:56 AM
I'm one fathom tall

Location: Sicilia (Sicily) 6 months a year/ Texas 6 months a year
and if anyone wants a 3 bedroom two bath wood floor house in an older neighbourhood near Penn Square mall, let me know :-) I'm selling one of my properties there. 132,000$

shameless plug over.

Ciao,
AWACS

Io sempre voglio la fica della mia mogile.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 3:20 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Patience. Omaha used to be really boring in the skyscraper construction area, and it's skyline was lacking. But with the construction of First National Center, that city's downtown has had new growth downtown, not just in restoration and redevelopment, but also in new skyscrapers. Some of these are really some decent designs that I'd proud of in Austin.

So with Devon planning a new headquarters in Oklahoma City with a signature tower, I would expect more development to follow. More office buildings and more residential and hotel and even retail. It'll happen. The fact that a major corporation is planning a tower in downtown Oklahoma City shows that they have a lot of confidence in it. I would expect others to follow.
Good example!

And due to the way Omaha is laid out, its skyline looks pretty impressive from the north, east and west.

OKC won't need that benefit, ultimately, if they build a couple in the 700-800 area

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 12:11 AM

I'm really not all that concerned about the fact that we only have one highrise tower proposed... Because remember, that's at a time when the rest of the country is slowing down economically- we're about to build a huge office building. Once national investors start to realize that OKC is one place where the housing market is still hot, I wouldn't be surprised to see some (new) highrise residential construction.

I like to consider some of the remodels of old office towers as pretty much being new construction.. The Park Harvey, the Classen- two 20 story buildings converted to residential form office- that's basically like having a new building.

We don't need to be tall to be urban, either. These 4-story loft projects popping up all over the place are not to be ignored. 3,000 residential units is a lot of new construction.

So by no means are things going slowly here, but we do have some less visible but nonetheless significant changes.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 9:39 AM
Big City Enthusiast

Alexjon, on behalf of OKC residents and expats (Im an expat living in Seattle coincidintally since 1991), Thanks for the classy congratulations.

It appears that you, like me, do not share the rhetoric that many die hard Sonic fans and many nay sayers have been posting/saying against OKC.

I really dont even hate Clay Bennett either, it was his mission statement to buy a team and move it to OKC. That is well published and well known.

I think it is great that OKC is giving Seattle a bit of respect and class by retiring the name/colours/history (although I think it is stupid Clay is making duplicates of the banners/trophies... What does that have to do with OKC??).

And I for one, always knew OKC could support a major league team or two. There's a lot of pinned up disposable income in OKC that was revealed only when the Hornets temporarily relocated there. You can only spend so much on OU tickets (if you're LUCKY ENOUGH to win a lottery to even be able to purchase) and OSU, well - there's only so many [albeit both schools do consistently sell out nevertheless OSU is the black sheep].

But OKC having a major tenant, it offers a top draw with top amenities. I know OU's stadium has some of those amenities (I've been up in the suites and club areas, it's very nice, very NFL - one of the FEW collegiate stadiums to have this), but that is comparatively small when considering what Ford Center has and will have, since the bulk of OU or any collegiate stadium's offerings are targeted for the masses.

This is something that Seattle (speaking for my city now), that many people who think Key Arena cuts it - they dont realize. We are one of the richest cities (probably THE richest per capita) yet when it comes to basketball - the ONLY top amenity draw Key Arena offers is courtside seating! It really can't compete with other arenas and really can't be expanded in order to do so.

Anyways, I didn't want to take away from the OKC Construction update - but I did want to add to the Down to Earth Seattle congrats to OKC on getting the franchise.

Im confident if people here want a team we'll resurrect the Sonics! But it will never be the Supersonics most people know from nostalgia, that team was dismantled YEARS ago by Wally Walker and Howard Schultz; they put Seattle in this mess in the first place - then Mayor McCheese Greg Nickels sealed the deal - pissing off Stern, allowing the Sonics to be sold to OKC people then selling out to them when he 'supposedly' was to be 'SAVING THE SONICS'.

Like I said, I don't blame OKC or Bennett at all. In fact, Im glad for OKC that they have somebody like Bennett, McClendon and the gang who care THAT MUCH about their city and it's image - that they'd do whatever it took to get you guys a team.

OK, sorry for the long (and mostly inappropriately placed) post - but again, congrats to OKC. I think this is only the beginning to a fine, promising urban rising city.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 1:02 AM
Big City Enthusiast

Post Oklahoma City | Core 2 Shore demo/rendering

Hi everyone.

Here is a nice demo reel from Oklahoma City based Skyline Inc., showing the new Core2Shore district of downtown OKC.

ENJOY!~

http://www.skylineink.com/animations/c2s.mov

Bonus:

http://www.newsok.tv/?bctid=1399221803&bclid=1111621425

Last edited by Hot Rod; Jul 24, 2008 at 4:43 AM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 1:07 AM
Big City Enthusiast

Post Oklahoma City | Midtown demo

Here is a Skyline Inc. demo reel of Midtown Oklahoma City.

http://www.skylineink.com/animations/midtown.mov

OKC is definitely on the move ----- > > >

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 4:36 AM
Big City Enthusiast

guys, sorry.

I found out after the fact, that the links I provided might not work properly.

Here is the webpage, you;ll have to select the films individually - they're worth it!

http://www.skylineink.com/

Old Posted Aug 5, 2008, 5:00 AM
Big City Enthusiast

Post Devon Tower representation - location/potential impact

The following is a link representing the location and potential impact of the new Devon Tower on downtown Oklahoma City. The location will be at the Galleria site SW corner.

http://host.newspin360.net/bricktowntower1/

Keep in mind, the pano is a representation of the location and impact - it is not the rendering as it hasn't been released yet. The pano itself skyscraper was designed only slightly taller than the skyline but its massing looks to be accurate for a 22,000 footprint.

There is speculation that the skyscraper will be over 1.2M square feet and possibly 50 storeys (assuming 750feet) and all glass striving for LEED certification at some level.

This would make the skyscraper the tallest in the state, and tallest in the region W of Chicago excluding Dallas and Houston, New Orleans (I think), Minneapolis, and (I think tied with Denver), then on excluding Seattle, SFO, and LA - which will be very impressive for Oklahoma City.

We'll find out everything for sure on August 20th.

OKC is on the move ////////////////////////////.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral