HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

1213 Walnut in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
These aren't exactly "academics" as that term is usually used, i.e., professors with little real-world experience. These are former real estate development officers and advisors, at least a couple of whom (Omar Blaik and Alicia Kodadek) ran one of the largest and most successful urban real estate development programs in the city and state, if not the country, on behalf of one of the wealthiest universities in the country (Penn). I think these folks know how to get stuff done, especially in Philly.

What little I know of Omar Blaik is impressive. Regardless, I think U3 has only actually developed the two story Milk Boy building: cool but small project. I think they do alot of advisory work to universities. But this is moot anyway if Goldenberg took over the deal.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
I think they do alot of advisory work to universities.
Perhaps, but let's face it: the biggest developers in this city right now are the universities. And my point was that the folks at U3 were not formerly "academics" teaching the THEORY of real estate development on a university faculty, but rather were the ones in the trenches every day getting major projects built and developed on behalf of their university employers and clients. They know what it takes, and have both the experience and the contacts, to get stuff built in Philly.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Perhaps, but let's face it: the biggest developers in this city right now are the universities. And my point was that the folks at U3 were not formerly "academics" teaching the THEORY of real estate development on a university faculty, but rather were the ones in the trenches every day getting major projects built and developed on behalf of their university employers and clients. They know what it takes, and have both the experience and the contacts, to get stuff built in Philly.
From my understanding Hines has gotten involved with this project.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 8:42 PM

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 9:29 PM

Nice URBAN project. On a great street.....replacing a sad parking lot. Bring it on!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 1:52 PM

Outstanding! I've been hoping this project would pull through the legal battle and get started. This is such a terrific project. This is absolutely the type of development we need to see more of in the city, especially east of Broad. There a re a few other surface lot like this one on Locust and Pine that I'm hoping get similar treatment. Another great tower looking to break ground in 2014!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 2:50 PM

Does anyone know exactly what is happening with Fergie's though? Will this project actually front Samson at all, or stop before the bar? I can't tell from their renderings.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 4:33 PM
BANNED

Why is there a 300' height limit at 12th + Walnut? And someone dimed out the developer for going over it? That is unbelievable.Just ridiculous.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
Does anyone know exactly what is happening with Fergie's though? Will this project actually front Samson at all, or stop before the bar? I can't tell from their renderings.
The base of the tower will be built around Fergie's

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 3:09 AM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
Why is there a 300' height limit at 12th + Walnut?
I have often wondered the same thing. My theory is that the height limit accommodates the Jefferson Hospital helicopters.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 2:51 PM

City Hall view

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
I have often wondered the same thing. My theory is that the height limit accommodates the Jefferson Hospital helicopters.
I believe the height limit is to accommodate the view corridor of City Hall Tower as seen from the BFParkway. 1213 Walnut probably would be in the backdrop of views of City Hall Tower from the Art Museum, if there were no height limit there.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 4:38 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacevator View Post
I believe the height limit is to accommodate the view corridor of City Hall Tower as seen from the BFParkway. 1213 Walnut probably would be in the backdrop of views of City Hall Tower from the Art Museum, if there were no height limit there.
I've thought of that as well but it seems to be a little outlandish. Looking at Google Earth, 12th/chestnut, 11th/sansom, 10th/walnut, 9th/Locust would be the locations that a tall building would appear directly behind the City Hall tower in the view from the PMA steps. 1213 Walnut, if over 600 feet, would still end up being obscured by the Comcast Center (if my calculations are correct).

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 11:21 PM

View corridor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
I've thought of that as well but it seems to be a little outlandish. Looking at Google Earth, 12th/chestnut, 11th/sansom, 10th/walnut, 9th/Locust would be the locations that a tall building would appear directly behind the City Hall tower in the view from the PMA steps. 1213 Walnut, if over 600 feet, would still end up being obscured by the Comcast Center (if my calculations are correct).
I think the city code has a view corridor overlay in that part of CC. Just a matter of looking it up and see if 1213 Walnut is in it. If so, then the developer may not be into that fight.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 5:15 PM

New Renderings for 1213 Walnut Street

Don't tell anyone I shared them first!

The building is officially being developed by a joint partnership between Hines/The Goldenberg Group

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post

The building is officially being developed by a joint partnership between Hines/The Goldenberg Group

All I can think about:

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 9:40 PM

It looks like a "fun" building to live in. I'm really liking the spiral staircase. Now, if they had turned that into a slide...hmm. All kidding aside, I like both renderings. A little "tweeking" here and there. I was wondering what happened to this proposal? NOW, It's a good time to jump on the bandwagon, if you're gonna jump. There are SO many proposals out there right now. If the developers have the financing in place, then let's get goin! Let's get those shovels out, and turn some dirt!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2014, 10:55 PM

This would look to be the same height as the PSFS building

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
This would look to be the same height as the PSFS building

The perspective from this rendering would make it seem so. But with only being 26 floors I'm guessing the 294 ft figure is still correct.

Also guessing they aren't big fans of the PSFS antenna?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Pure Philly View Post
The perspective from this rendering would make it seem so. But with only being 26 floors I'm guessing the 294 ft figure is still correct.

Also guessing they aren't big fans of the PSFS antenna?
Yeah, that whole rendering is messed up. Every preexisting building looks like its been squashed down quite a bit. Still, I like this design for the new tower. And at 300ft it will still stand out nicely at that location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive