HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 4:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

it ain't pretty, but i love seeing all of these west loop parking lots getting filled in.

fill them all in. every. single. last. one.

death to the parking lot!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 4:33 PM
BANNED

^ In that regard it's not too bothersome. But srsly, that rendering is so embarrassing.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 4:49 PM

^^ Yeah, there's so many empty lots in that area, especially north of it, that I could stand a couple clunkers to fill in and spread more higrises westward. Im not necessarily saying that this one will turn out to be a clunker if built but you get what im saying.
Fill-in, Fill-in, Fill-in.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
^^ Yeah, there's so many empty lots in that area, especially north of it, that I could stand a couple clunkers to fill in and spread more higrises westward. Im not necessarily saying that this one will turn out to be a clunker if built but you get what im saying.
Fill-in, Fill-in, Fill-in.
The parking podium makes it a clunker.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 8:14 PM

Not my favorite. Thinking there's a chance that this one slips by with as-of-right zoning like Emme?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 10:17 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Not my favorite. Thinking there's a chance that this one slips by with as-of-right zoning like Emme?
Nothing ever slips by a Aldermanic shakedown community led approval process

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 3:22 PM

Certainly not the prettiest rendering and kind of an awkward design for that Randolph and Jefferson Building, but there is still room for improvement, and at this point in the process the design may not be fully conceived.

I remember once I spent about 2 hours working on a similar rough SketchUp snapshot like this for one of our developers...and then it ended up on television...and then on SkyscraperPage. It wasn't anywhere near the final product, and the quality wasn't what I would call presentable. Sometimes stuff like that happens.

Also, we are finding that the developers are pushing to start the PD and/or alderman process sooner and sooner, so the first thing (and sometimes only thing) that gets presented to the public is not always fully ironed out in it's detailing.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 10:59 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Developer of mothballed Chicago Spire seeks $1.2B in suit

From Crain's:
Quote:
A glaring symbol of the excesses of last decade's condominium bubble, the Spire site at Lake Shore Drive and the Chicago River remains a big, highly engineered hole in the ground, waiting to be developed by its current owner, Chicago developer Related Midwest. But Kelleher contends his firm, Shelbourne Development, would have never lost the parcel had it not been for the mismanagement and "malice" of NAMA, a government body created in 2009 to dispose of Irish banks' bad real estate debt.

NAMA, and an affiliate, National Asset Loan Management, mishandled the process of disposing the $92.5 million debt on the Spire, shortchanging Irish taxpayers of about $57 million, according to the 60-page lawsuit, which was filed today in U.S. District Court in Chicago.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Could this mean Kellher will win $1.2 billion and reposess the property from Related and then finally complete the Spire????

Old Posted Feb 27, 2018, 11:19 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^

never before has the "bouncing cloud man" emoticon been used more appropriately.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 3:57 AM

^^^ A true Stay Puft Marshamallow Man of the imagination dancing upon the hopes and dreams of Garrett Kellher.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 4:22 AM
1st Ward

Lol, good luck to that guy getting his expensive hole in the ground back

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 5:20 AM

If he wins that... damn lol.

If he did win and go ahead to move forward with construction would it have to go back through approvals/etc?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 5:31 AM
1st Ward

^ No point in even entertaining the thought. The chances of that happening are as close to zero as anything can get.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 6:41 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

I'm pretty sure that, legally, there is no route for him to regain control of the property. But if he got $1.2 billion, maybe related would sell it back to him ...
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 12:35 PM

Is related even putting it out there to a reasonable offer?
How much did related buy it for? This will be related's creme de la creme of chicago. I highly doubt they would sell unless it's for an atrociously high payday.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 1:11 PM

Post removed

Last edited by OhioGuy; Feb 28, 2018 at 2:36 PM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 1:53 PM

^ wrong thread
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 3:10 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Is related even putting it out there to a reasonable offer?
How much did related buy it for? This will be related's creme de la creme of chicago. I highly doubt they would sell unless it's for an atrociously high payday.
I thought they got it for ninety-some million dollars, but could be wrong. AFAIK it's not for sale, but most developers would take an offer if it was good enough, since it could mean profit with no risk. Certainly if they did get the land for ninety-some million and were offered a billion dollars for it, a greater-than-tenfold profit with no risk would be a very attractive proposition. But I don't think any of that will happen. I kind of doubt the Irishman will even win in court, let alone try to use any award to buy the site again.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 4:24 PM

topped out

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations