HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 3:04 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight_from_kamakura View Post
walked by 1800 van ness site the other day, it's much larger than it appears. a shame we'll get only those 98 units (at that price, 2-3 levels of underground parking, with 4 story woodframe over a concrete base). this site could easily support a concrete construction of ~10 floors without any trouble, same footprint, limited viewline interruption, etc., a signature tower there would be something else.
I highly doubt that tall buildings will be permitted on upper Van Ness (say, north of California), since they would block views from Nob Hill and Russian Hill. As one who remembers Van Ness without the hideous Holiday Inn Golden Gateway, I can say that it truly diminished the view, ambiance and San Francisco feeling from the neighborhoods east of it.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 3:15 AM

^Plus 1800 Van Ness is set to be 8 stories, not 4:

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2..._98_units.html

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 3:38 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I like the latest design for 1800 Van Ness. It seems the right scale, increases density a bit and looks interesting. And IMO does so without diminishing "the view, ambiance and San Francisco feeling" like the Holiday Inn does, as viewguy noted. Would you agree?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 6:46 AM

Trinity Place - 8th & Mission Sts.

The 2nd tower for Trinity Place is now 2 stories. I walked by today & got this picture. What a contrast with St. Anthony's (not sure what the facility is for) across the street.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 5:22 PM
testify

yeah, the design has definitely improved. so that $30 million price doesn't include land value, i guess.

walked past trinity plaza on the way yesterday, pleasantly surprised to see the progress. what a massively positive transformation that'll be on the market street frontage once it's all built out and the retail spaces occupied.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
I like the latest design for 1800 Van Ness. It seems the right scale, increases density a bit and looks interesting. And IMO does so without diminishing "the view, ambiance and San Francisco feeling" like the Holiday Inn does, as viewguy noted. Would you agree?
I like it too. I think an extra couple/few stories would be even better (without hurting anything else in the area), but eight isn't bad.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 8:28 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Noticed a crane and some basement-level construction at an oddly-shaped parcel between Minna and Natoma just off 6th Street. I glanced over the construction list and either I'm blind or it's not listed.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Noticed a crane and some basement-level construction at an oddly-shaped parcel between Minna and Natoma just off 6th Street. I glanced over the construction list and either I'm blind or it's not listed.
I think it might be 474 Natoma:

Source: http://sf.curbed.com/archives/2009/1..._on_natoma.php

Also,

http://www.nibbi.com/projects/474-natoma-street/

If so, I'll add it to the list of projects under construction.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 10:39 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

^That's it. Thanks.

From the website:

474 Natoma Street
59 new affordable rental units. The site is approximately 11,875 square-feet and is on a T-shaped lot. The project will consist of a 9-story building along Natoma Street and a 4-story building along Minna Street. Both buildings will sit on a shared landscaped concrete podium. The majority of the units will be 1, 2 and 3-bedroom flats with three 2-bedroom town homes on the ground floor.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
^That's it. Thanks.

From the website:

474 Natoma Street
59 new affordable rental units. The site is approximately 11,875 square-feet and is on a T-shaped lot. The project will consist of a 9-story building along Natoma Street and a 4-story building along Minna Street. Both buildings will sit on a shared landscaped concrete podium. The majority of the units will be 1, 2 and 3-bedroom flats with three 2-bedroom town homes on the ground floor.
Cool! I added it to the list (page 174).

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 2:35 AM

While it has seemingly gotten lost in the shuffle of all the bigger developments that have broken ground/moved forward over the last few months, SF Jazz is getting closer and closer to completion. The interior structure for the auditorium seems to be largely complete, and they are now building the frame for the rest of the building. I hope that it spurs more development in that part of the civic center/hayes valley border.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 5:35 AM
heavy user of walkability

pier 36

if this is better placed in another thread, or has one of its own, someone please let me know, but yesterday I noticed that demolition of Pier 36 has finally gotten underway, which hopefully means that Brannan Street Wharf will follow along soon.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 5:51 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Yes peanut! IMO, the new design is a major improvement over the old one; I just hope it doesn't get VE'd along the way.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 5:57 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm View Post
While it has seemingly gotten lost in the shuffle of all the bigger developments that have broken ground/moved forward over the last few months, SF Jazz is getting closer and closer to completion. The interior structure for the auditorium seems to be largely complete, and they are now building the frame for the rest of the building. I hope that it spurs more development in that part of the civic center/hayes valley border.
I just saw this again over the weekend--it's a very exciting cultural addition to our already star studded cultural area, hopefully making the neighborhood even more desirable for positive development.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 6:46 AM

View from Cathedral Hill - Changing Skyline

From left to right:

1) The former State Fund Compensation Bldg. - Currently empty - lots of work going on there - 1 window has been removed from each floor

2) City Hall

3) Archstone Fox Plaza

4) 2 Cranes at Market & 10 th Streets marks the Crescent Heights development, 35 stories for highest structure

5) The Argenta

6) Bank of America - planned a twin building where the Crescent Heights development is happening now but sold the property when the city enacted an employee tax of some sort

7) The former California Automobile, to be redone as housing

8) The yellow construction crane marks the Mary Helen Rogers Senior Community @ 701 Golden Gate/Franklin, 12 stories. This was the site of the Central Freeway off ramp.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 4:58 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm View Post
Excellent! Thanks for the update on that. I drove past it a month ago or so and noticed a lot of progress, but couldn't see much because the forms were still in place around the auditorium. There's another project (senior housing, IIRC) further north along Franklin that's also coming along.

Edit: Just realized that Jerry pointed out the other housing project (Mary Helen Rogers Senior Community) in his photo. That's an interesting shot, Jerry. That view will look very different in several years when (and if) everything planned for that area is in place.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 5:04 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
if this is better placed in another thread, or has one of its own, someone please let me know, but yesterday I noticed that demolition of Pier 36 has finally gotten underway, which hopefully means that Brannan Street Wharf will follow along soon.
Great news, and I hope you're right! I think this is the perfect place for that project, unless someone wants to create a separate thread for it in the General Development section. Not sure it's that big a project, but either way works for me.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 7:13 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Remember UOP's plan to remodel 155 Fifth Street for their school of dentistry? SocketSite has a new rendering.

Here's what it currently looks like:

Here was the first rendering that we saw in November:

And here's the latest:

It's like they took 2 steps forward, then 1 step back. It meets the ground much better than the existing building, but it looked nicer back in November IMO.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 5:45 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I read in the BOS meeting notes that, as expected, they did indeed continue the 8 Washington EIR approval to May 15 to coincide with the conditional use approval. That will be the ultimate go/no-go from the city. I hope they approve it.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 5:58 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Remember UOP's plan to remodel 155 Fifth Street for their school of dentistry? ...

It's like they took 2 steps forward, then 1 step back. It meets the ground much better than the existing building, but it looked nicer back in November IMO.
wholeheartedly agree, looked much better in first rendering.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations