HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 11, 2017, 11:49 PM

Multiculturalism in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Complaining that a place is not diverse enough and judging it for being "too white" is currently a socially-acceptable urban hipster thing to say.

Complaning that a place has too many minorities and isn't "white" enough is a socially taboo, socially-unacceptable racist neanderthal thing to say.

And yet they're two sides of the exact same coin.
Admittedly that's something I've been guilty of. I've sometimes at least commented, if not complained about "whiteness" of certain smaller cities since I've lived in Toronto. Multiculturalism is such a big part of Toronto's culture, that I enjoy, that it's easy to look down on other cities that don't have that.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 1:18 AM

^^Of course it is about insecurity! Obama called it in 2008, and it's even truer in 2017.

Also, I thought most people had already realized by mid 2016 that "All Lives Matter" is a disingenuous rebuttal started by racists and perpetuated by idiots

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 3:13 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
^^Of course it is about insecurity! Obama called it in 2008, and it's even truer in 2017.

Also, I thought most people had already realized by mid 2016 that "All Lives Matter" is a disingenuous rebuttal started by racists and perpetuated by idiots

I thought I had clearly disassociated myself from All Lives Matter.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 5:34 AM

Quote:
I thought I had clearly disassociated myself from All Lives Matter.
lol it doesn't work like "small-c 'conservative'"

"all lives matter/All Lives Matter" is only ever uttered as a reaction to BLM, which exists only because black lives matter less to police, juries, the news, etc.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 5:37 AM

Does anyone on this forum actually care about the racial composition of their community?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Does anyone on this forum actually care about the racial composition of their community?
In Vancouver it is a VERY big deal due to the Chinese money laundering in the real estate market. People know that if it wasn't for the Chinese dirty money and them buying houses and leaving them empty or tearing them down the city would have more housing stock and would be far more affordable so their kids can live in the city they were born in.

There is open hostility between the Hong Kong Chinese and the nouveau-riche Chinese "Mainlanders".

It's a an assumption in Vancouver that if you see a Chinese in an expensive car you automatically think they got it thru dirty money. The real estate frenzy and the money laundering has done irreparable damage to racial relations in the city.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 6:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
It's a an assumption in Vancouver that if you see a Chinese in an expensive car you automatically think they got it thru dirty money.
Normal people will assume 10 other more-likely scenarios. That's just you projecting

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 2:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
lol it doesn't work like "small-c 'conservative'"

"all lives matter/All Lives Matter" is only ever uttered as a reaction to BLM, which exists only because black lives matter less to police, juries, the news, etc.
TBQH, I don't give a shit. I am not American and will not be bound by labels they have created for themselves as part of their political discourse.

You're the one raised "All Lives Matter", not me. And frankly I have no idea why you did.

Now you're trying to paint me into a corner with some type of bullshit guilt-by-association assemblage.

I actually know very little about All Lives Matter and what they stand for.

But I do know that for me all human lives are of equal value, and that's what counts.

Last edited by Acajack; Feb 14, 2017 at 2:36 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 3:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
TBQH, I don't give a shit. I am not American and will not be bound by labels they have created for themselves as part of their political discourse.

You're the one raised "All Lives Matter", not me. And frankly I have no idea why you did.

Now you're trying to paint me into a corner with some type of bullshit guilt-by-association assemblage.

I actually know very little about All Lives Matter and what they stand for.

But I do know that for me all human lives are of equal value, and that's what counts.
You should watch more American TV Acajack. That way, you'll be more familiar with all of "our" issues.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 3:49 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTowner View Post
You should watch more American TV Acajack. That way, you'll be more familiar with all of "our" issues.
Yeah, look at everything I am missing out on. Like being able to quote Black Lives Matter and All Lives Matter people chapter and verse.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 5:46 AM

I can't stand this idea that cities should strive to be multicultural to pacify Ottawa mandarins, look good on the stats chart, or somehow are less interesting because they are not. Victoria, Quebec, London, and Kingston aren't exactly multicultural meccas but are consistently rated as having the highest quality of life and lowest crime rates. All are vibrant, beautiful, and very liveable cities yet most of their respective populations are as white as the undriven snow.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I can't stand this idea that cities should strive to be multicultural to pacify Ottawa mandarins, look good on the stats chart, or somehow are less interesting because they are not. Victoria, Quebec, London, and Kingston aren't exactly multicultural meccas but are consistently rated as having the highest quality of life and lowest crime rates. All are vibrant, beautiful, and very liveable cities yet most of their respective populations are as white as the undriven snow.
London is a lot more multicultural now than it was when I was growing up. It was as white as snow as recently as 2000, but it suddenly became a major destination for Colombian and other Latin American immigrants. I believe it was in the 2011 Census that London had the 3rd largest concentration of Latin Americans in Canada among CMAs (after Toronto and Montreal). The city's Middle Eastern community, as I recall, also increased dramatically during the early 2000s.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2017, 7:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
London is a lot more multicultural now than it was when I was growing up. It was as white as snow as recently as 2000, but it suddenly became a major destination for Colombian and other Latin American immigrants. I believe it was in the 2011 Census that London had the 3rd largest concentration of Latin Americans in Canada among CMAs (after Toronto and Montreal). The city's Middle Eastern community, as I recall, also increased dramatically during the early 2000s.
That's very true. I've even hear London jokingly referred to as "Colondia". I know all cities are changing in their ethnic makeup but there is no doubt that many, like London, remain primarily the same ethnic make-up it was founded upon.

What I can't stand is how cities that are multicultural automatically seems to be referred to as a good thing. It can add flavour to a city but also increase racial, ethnic, class, and ideological differences that often result in segregation instead of inclusion.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 2:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

You're right, Acajack - the only issue is All Lives Matter was a direct slap back to Black Lives Matter, intentionally introduced as a means of shutting them up. It's spread widely, and lots of very well-meaning people now use it, but it started as a reaction to BLM.

I choose to look at it like this - every time you see BLM, imagine there's a "too" at the end. That alleviates the "All Lives Matter" BS for genuine people, and still keeps the focus on people who need it.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 6:43 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Seriously, though, Ukraine's flag is perfect. Is there any other non-reviled flag that instantly conveys what is depicted and who it represents to that degree? I think of it evey time I see one of your posts.

Ours you think... is that faded-out Italy? Gay Italian maybe? No, Newfoundland. And even then they don't know. But Ukraine's, you know it's Ukraine, and you know it's wheat and sky. I think Ukraine won the flag contest.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 8:54 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Seriously, though, Ukraine's flag is perfect. Is there any other non-reviled flag that instantly conveys what is depicted and who it represents to that degree? I think of it evey time I see one of your posts.

Ours you think... is that faded-out Italy? Gay Italian maybe? No, Newfoundland. And even then they don't know. But Ukraine's, you know it's Ukraine, and you know it's wheat and sky. I think Ukraine won the flag contest.
It is pretty remarkable how recognizable it is considering it belongs to a country that prior to 2014 I often had to describe as "a medium sized country just west of Russia."

I think you're being too hard on the tri-colour though! I grew a lot of appreciation for it after my trip to St. John's. It was everywhere and people seemed to identify with it on a level I only really see in the US. I don't like big brash imperial flags and so the tri-colour is great. Peaceful but meaningful. Not to mention unique. I know lots of flags are striped, but how many have pink!?

I've never really thought about the Ukrainian flag in the way you mentioned either though. Love the peace and simplicity of the wheat and sky, just never gave it much thought before.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 1:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
It is pretty remarkable how recognizable it is considering it belongs to a country that prior to 2014 I often had to describe as "a medium sized country just west of Russia."
I think your downplaying something.

Beyond knowing of western Europe, Ukraine is super well recognised.

It's that european country that all those people came from, it's where all of the intense aspects of russian history actually happened, Kievan Rus, gulags, revolutionary violence,chernobyl, cossacks, tatars, etc.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 1:22 AM

Perhaps it's just because I'm in Alberta, but there's absolutely a heightened understanding of Ukraine here. Disproportionate, in fact.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 3:48 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post

I think you're being too hard on the tri-colour though! I grew a lot of appreciation for it after my trip to St. John's. It was everywhere and people seemed to identify with it on a level I only really see in the US. I don't like big brash imperial flags and so the tri-colour is great. Peaceful but meaningful. Not to mention unique. I know lots of flags are striped, but how many have pink!?

I've never really thought about the Ukrainian flag in the way you mentioned either though. Love the peace and simplicity of the wheat and sky, just never gave it much thought before.
I'd never heard of the Newfoundland tricolour before SSP Canada. Sorry SHH but I knew the Labrador flag before I knew the tricolour.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 3:51 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
I'd never heard of the Newfoundland tricolour before SSP Canada. Sorry SHH but I knew the Labrador flag before I knew the tricolour.
I didn't know either, only the official Newfoundland & Labrador flag they teach in school. Signalhillhiker also introduced me to it, but when I finally visited St. John's, I finally "got it."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada