HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 4:01 PM

Apparently (just told), it's owned by the Goldenburg Group and they don't want to sell or do a project, but they have plans to renovate the facade.
Would love to see them do a JV one day, though, and replace the garage entirely with a development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Anyone know who owns this garage or hear any rumblings of development as to garage on the 700 block of Chestnut?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/70...!4d-75.1525077

https://www.google.com/maps/place/70...!4d-75.1525077

I'm interested in a boutique condo project that will go up on this block, but this ugly garage is part of the view. I'm hoping it eventually gets demo'd and replaced with a project. There were rumblings about development on the other side of the street (8th and Chestnut, other side of Market's Disney Hole) and that abandoned project further down the block in the parking lot next to Union Trust.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 4:34 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Goldenberg has the primary development interest in the Disney Hole, so my guess is that until something goes up there (sometime?) that'll be where their attention'll be focused.

I'd also suspect Goldenberg acquired that garage as part of the Disney Hole (it was formerly Gimbel's parking garage).

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Goldenberg has the primary development interest in the Disney Hole, so my guess is that until something goes up there (sometime?) that'll be where their attention'll be focused.

I'd also suspect Goldenberg acquired that garage as part of the Disney Hole (it was formerly Gimbel's parking garage).
But wouldn't there be better development prospects for the Disney Hole if the lots around it develop and the neighborhood starts to "happen"?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
We Give Up, What’s Happening With Growing Building at 10th & Arch?

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...ding-10th-arch
I watched them load up the cinder blocks for the west wall of this building by hand, just tossing them to a guy on the roof one by one, when this building started out. It's been interesting to watch this thing go up.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2017, 10:31 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
I watched them load up the cinder blocks for the west wall of this building by hand, just tossing them to a guy on the roof one by one, when this building started out. It's been interesting to watch this thing go up.
I'm thinking this is the one that got candy-striped by L&I several years back, when it first started going up, and then nothing for a long while.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
That may not be what you intended to communicate, but as far as what I've heard you say I believe your message is very clear---no memorial is needed, and certainly not the one that's being built.
To apologize again it's not about Jewish people. It's only about the park, whose only redeeming factor seems to be that it is in your face and deliberately made empty. Deliberately destroying a park to make sure you don't miss the panels is not art. It is going to have the go over well factor of Jehovah's Witnesses (literally for the Phoenix) going to your front door every day.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 12:24 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

I found myself heading down North Broad this morning. The whole area seems about to pop. You've got that gorgeous Aloft reno at the south end, the Nest on the north end, Hanover North Broad at Broad & Callowhill, the amazing Studebaker and Divine Lorraine restorations, and a pair of overbuilds just south of Fairmount.

North Broad really feels like it's about to come into its own as a boulevard of gracious mid- and high-rises linking Center City with Temple.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
To apologize again it's not about Jewish people. It's only about the park, whose only redeeming factor seems to be that it is in your face and deliberately made empty. Deliberately destroying a park to make sure you don't miss the panels is not art. It is going to have the go over well factor of Jehovah's Witnesses (literally for the Phoenix) going to your front door every day.
Thank you for the apology about the off topic portions of you're previous post. You don't see those often on an online forum. I'll agree that it coul easily come off as a barren walk through point, but I'm not sure grass is the answer. There's been grass there for years. Granted, it's been raised up and less accessible, but it's there aND doesn't get used. I'd also think that at such a heavily traffic ked intersection that any grassy shortcut wouldn't look good without constant maintenance due to the foot traffic.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 1:27 PM

Houses, Condos, Shops Coming to South Kensington Lot

Quote:
That large vacant lot that at Fifth Street and Cecil B. Moore Avenue in South Kensington, most recently home to a circus school, is about to have a whole new act move in.

The RiverWards Group this week announced that it will build a 57-unit mixed residential/commercial development, North 5th Square, on the site. Construction is set to begin in mid- to late January, with completion set for late 2019.

The project, designed by KJO Architecture, will include 41 single-family townhouses, four duplex homes, two three-unit condo buildings and two corner buildings consisting of commercial space with a three-story residence above.

Not only will the project be mixed-use, it’s designed to be mixed-income as well. Sale prices will range from $199,999 for the least expensive condos to just south of $400,000 for the priciest townhouses.

Read more at: http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...ensington-lot/

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 2:49 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
I found myself heading down North Broad this morning. The whole area seems about to pop. You've got that gorgeous Aloft reno at the south end, the Nest on the north end, Hanover North Broad at Broad & Callowhill, the amazing Studebaker and Divine Lorraine restorations, and a pair of overbuilds just south of Fairmount.

North Broad really feels like it's about to come into its own as a boulevard of gracious mid- and high-rises linking Center City with Temple.
Agreed, although there are still too many parking lots, and I really want to see those massive empty lots surrounding the Divine Lorraine filled in. Still, I think in another 3-5 years it will be an awesome stretch.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 3:34 PM

Quote:

All because the City, and others, gave us those beautiful metal tree trunks so regularly spaced in the middle of the street.

This is an example of an area slowing coming back to life in spite of the Cities best efforts.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 4:07 PM

Quote:

I’ve been doing this walk for a while being a Temple student, and North Broad’s comeback continues to amaze me. IMO, the 700 block is the most interesting to watch right now. With the Santuccu’s overbuild, the completed renovation of another building, and the overbuild of the horse stable, that block is becoming more dense. I’m also hoping that something tall comes to the parcel between Ridge, Fairmount, Broad, 15th, and Melon, where a small store currently stands. The lot is zoned CMX-4, and it’s literally right next to the Fairmount stop.

I hope that the stretch between Fairmount and Girard continues to fill in. The west side of the street is fine; however, the east side is auto-centric hell between Fairmount and Poplar. I also have high hopes between for the stretch between Girard and Susquehanna. That huge grass lot by Broad and Oxford is just begging for something tall (maybe a mixed-use hotel?), and the grass lot at Broad and Diamond has development plans. Everything between City Hall and Erie will be interesting once the North Station District and the Beury Building redevelopment get going.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 7:40 PM
build awesome buildings

totally agree about north broad - so stoked to see what it’s like in 5 years.

in other major thoroughfare news, there’s been major progress on the sidewalk/street level work on the Fashion District and adjacent buildings. Five Below’s retail spot is open (and happily looks great). The facade work on the Fashion District buildings to the west of the Burlington location looks like it’s using nicer materials at a way better scale, so i think we’ll avoid the bathroom tile effect; the main entrance glass is also up and looks pretty impressive. On the south side, it looks like some sort of facade treatment may be going up on the parking garage between 6th and 7th - some sort of support framing was being installed. This, along with all of the update sidewalks and seating (thank goodness for all the septa riders here) is giving that area such a drastically different feel.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 4:47 PM

Cantrell Place Starts Shaping Up in South Philly

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...g-south-philly

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 4:48 PM

At Long Last, Demolition at 18th & Washington

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...8th-washington

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 4:57 PM

Pennsylvania’s first LGBTQ housing for young adults breaks ground in North Philly

Read more here:
https://philly.curbed.com/2017/12/6/...groundbreaking

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 7:42 PM

Safety improvements prepare South Broad Street for a residential future

Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/columni...-20171207.html

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 11:08 AM

They are considering a protected bike lane and 2nd Street Plaza on Market.

http://bicyclecoalition.org/public-m....pDk7tH6W.dpbs

Would be great. Would also be good for if/when we find some more money to extend the Penn's Landing Park cap up to Market or, better yet, fashion a cap with luxury buildings on top of like the railyards in some other cities...

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 1:29 PM

Mulling a headquarters relocation, Entercom sets sights on Center City property

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ess+Journal%29

Quote:
Less than a month after completing its $2.4 billion acquisition of CBS Radio, Entercom Communications Corp. is looking to relocate its corporate headquarters from Bala Cynwyd, Pa., to Center City.

Sources familiar with the situation said the radio company has zeroed in on 2400 Market St., where it wants to lease about 60,000 square feet.

Once pen hits paper, Entercom would become the second major tenant to sign a lease at the property. Food services giant Aramark Corp. (NYSE: ARMK) is scheduled to relocate there from 1101 Market St. in the fall of 2018 after agreeing last year to lease 300,000 square feet at the building in a deal that runs through September 2034.

Entercom (NYSE: ETM) is currently based at 401 E. City Ave., Suite 809 in Bala Cynwyd. According to a Securities and Exchange Commission filing, the company holds a lease for 14,061 square feet that expires on October 31, 2021. That space could be sublet if Entercom struck a deal to move.

An Entercom spokeswoman declined to comment on any relocation plans. Previous comments from executives and the company’s use of a Philadelphia dateline in press releases, however, indicate a move to the city is in the works.

In an interview with the Philadelphia Business Journal in the weeks after the CBS Radio deal was announced in February, Entercom CEO David Field acknowledged that he was considering whether to relocate the combined company's headquarters from Bala Cynwyd into Philadelphia.

“We will look at all of our options, but the headquarters will remain in the Philadelphia region,” Field said. “A decision will be made in the coming months [about exactly where it will be located].”

While Entercom and its employees would pay more in taxes by moving into the city, the company would be situated in a place more familiar to investors and listeners from across the country — an important factor now that it is the second-largest U.S. radio company with operations in 23 of the 25 largest media markets.

Just minutes away from 30th Street Station, 2400 Market also offers quick access to Amtrak for trips to nearby markets in New York and Washington, D.C. as well as SEPTA's Regional Rail line to Philadelphia International Airport.

Landing an industry leading company such as Entercom would be somewhat of a coup for Philadelphia, which has seen some firms reduce space or leave the city altogether. No word on whether Entercom could receive tax benefits from the city or state.

The extra 45,000 square feet Entercom is seeking at 2400 Market points to a consolidation of some or all of the six local radio stations it inherited from CBS Radio with the corporate headquarters, which will require more personnel as the company has become significantly larger.

Currently, Entercom’s three music stations — Today’s 96.5 (WTDY-FM), Classic hits 98.1 (WOGL-FM), Country 92.5 XTU (WXTU-FM) — operate at 555 E. City Ave., suite 330 in Bala Cynwyd.

SportsRadio 94 WIP and conservative talk station 1210 (WPHT-AM) consume two floors at 400 Market Street, while KYW Newsradio (1060-AM) is located at 1555 Hamilton Street so it could share newsroom resources with CBS 3. With KYW no longer a CBS property, Entercom will need to negotiate agreements with the CBS-owned television station to continue the current content sharing arrangement on both broadcast and digital platforms and either lease space at Hamilton Street or relocate.

The owner of 2400 Market, a partnership involving PMC Property Group and Lubert-Adler, has been working on a renovation plan to expand the building by five floors. Once completed, it will have a total of nine stories and 600,000 square feet. Aramark will occupy the top five floors.

That leaves 225,000 square feet of office space on the second through fourth floors. There are plans to bring a 75,000 square foot “urban country club” that would house co-working space, a high-end gym, a hotel and a restaurant or dining club without a round of golf.

There will be 70,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space that will overlook a boardwalk that will be constructed off of the building, which fronts the Schuylkill River.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 5:41 PM

There’s construction equipment, fencing, a crew, and a big hole in the ground at 40th and Pine. Anyone know what’s going on here? I know Penn has tried to partner on a project here in the past to no avail. Given the near completion of the Trolley Portal Gardens, however, it would seem like the right time for development.

Last time I heard anything about this site was the proposed Azalea Court project.

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Dec 11, 2017 at 6:11 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development