HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The camping and naturalist supplies as well as the casual outdoor clothing would draw me in.......
^Mountain Equipment Co-op, Atmosphere (formally coast mountain sports), Patagonia are some of the best stores for this.
If I need a million different ways to shoot an animal or a sticker that says I'm a redneck, then Cabela's might be a better fit.

The list of stores unique to Halifax (compared to the rest of the Maritimes) is longer than most people think.
Here is a small list of some examples that aren't fashion related and in a mall.

Pro Hockey Life
Lee Valley
Deserres
La-Z-Boy Furniture Gallerys
Ashley Furniture
Jysk
Home Outfitters
Best Buy

Our retail is very close to being on par with Winnipeg. Ikea will be coming to Halifax in a few years, I have no doubt.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
If I need a million different ways to shoot an animal or a sticker that says I'm a redneck, then Cabela's might be a better fit.
As I have said, some urbanistas (especially those who think rural folk are nothing but knuckle dragging Neanderthals carrying clubs, or that there is nothing outside the urban core of HRM but a blank void of nothingness) wouldn't be caught dead in a place like BP or Cabela's. I think however that most people are more enlightened.

It goes without saying that Halifax has a vibrant retail scene, and I also think that IKEA will eventually make a return to HRM. This will help to encourage retail tourism to the city. I remain convinced though that retail tourism can work both ways.....

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:50 PM

Having been to Vaughn's Bass Pro, I have to say there is much more to a BP than Redneck bumper stickers! It's a massive store with tons of high quality stuff. Its more along the lines of LLBean.
It really is a destination, even for those who do not hunt or fish. I do both of those (well less hunting now), plus a lot of camping. Im their core demographic but there is much there for others.

I have no doubt that Cab and BP will be a huge draw for Moncton, but Ikea will pull from across pretty much every demographic. Rich to poor. People who like Swedish meatballs and even those few who don't!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 2:58 PM

When Bayers Lake expands Costco and Walmart are both rumoured to be moving to new section

their spots in Bayers Lake would be awesome for an IKEA

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 3:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby074 View Post
I have no doubt that Cab and BP will be a huge draw for Moncton, but Ikea will pull from across pretty much every demographic. Rich to poor. People who like Swedish meatballs and even those few who don't!
I agree wholeheartedly.

I also think that Cabela's (at least) will also make their way to HRM as well too. The company at one point stated their intention to locate in every Canadian province (PEI I'm not so sure about, but I imagine HRM definitely).

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxRetales View Post
When Bayers Lake expands Costco and Walmart are both rumoured to be moving to new section

their spots in Bayers Lake would be awesome for an IKEA
Yeah, you almost wonder if the delay of starting the expansion isn't related to negotiations with IKEA. If I were IKEA and had my eye on Halifax, I wouldn't want to pass up prime real estate that may be harder to find in the future for a big box retailer like IKEA.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 4:21 PM

whats the latest on Halifax Shopping Centre is the food court going in the bowling alley? and H&M replacing the food court?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 8:45 AM

Quote:
whats the latest on Halifax Shopping Centre is the food court going in the bowling alley? and H&M replacing the food court?
I hope the food court isn't moving into the former bowling alley. Its fine where it is. Have H&M go where the bowling alley is.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC View Post
I hope the food court isn't moving into the former bowling alley. Its fine where it is. Have H&M go where the bowling alley is.
Seems like a lot of trouble to go through to relocate all the electrical/mechanical connections and work out new delivery routes (maybe these'd be simpler?) for one retail tenant. No offense to H&M, but it's not the type of tenant for which I'd expect a mall to inconvenience its existing tenants and undertake major renovations.

I'd also expect that the food court tenants would see their profits drop. Food court tenants are rarely destinations themselves, but convenience stops when shoppers are at the mall getting something else. I'm sure some visits to retailers are unplanned "well-I'm-here-already-so-I-might-as-well-just-stop-in" events too, but not as many. The food court needs visibility more than H&M.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 8:52 PM

I would MUCH rather see H&M on spring garden.

Regarding HSC, I'd rather see them expand the mall rather than relocate the food court. I personally don't think they will relocate the food court anyway. I wonder if there is any way H&M could open in the former bowling alley? We know something will be locating to the space because they chose not to renew the bowl alley's lease...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea93 View Post
I would MUCH rather see H&M on spring garden.

Regarding HSC, I'd rather see them expand the mall rather than relocate the food court. I personally don't think they will relocate the food court anyway. I wonder if there is any way H&M could open in the former bowling alley? We know something will be locating to the space because they chose not to renew the bowl alley's lease...
H&M could have their own exterior Entrance if they went in The Bowling Alley

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 9:07 PM

Quote:
H&M could have their own exterior Entrance if they went in The Bowling Alley
I'm not familiar with the Fairlanes space, but I know the mall entrance is tucked in between two stores (Birks and L'Occitane I think). Seems like a strange mall entrance for a major retailer...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea93 View Post
I'm not familiar with the Fairlanes space, but I know the mall entrance is tucked in between two stores (Birks and L'Occitane I think). Seems like a strange mall entrance for a major retailer...
I think what you will see at the HSC is the floor removed on the current lower level, outside the NSLC, Lawtons, Think Kitchen area, and a 3 level atrium developed. In addition, the trend in malls these days seems to be to have major retailers opening to the outside, such as Sunridge in Calgary, Yorkdale etc.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 2:11 PM

More of a rumour. I heard that Whole Foods is looking to open a store in HRM. Might not be for a while...

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 8:54 PM
we built this city

Why aren't clothing retailers going downtown at all? There are spaces???

There is money downtown... but no shopping. What gives?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post

they will show up if foot traffic improves

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Let the games begin
PATRICIA BROOKS ARENBURG BUSINESS REPORTER
Published February 20, 2014 - 5:07pm

A Dartmouth couple is betting that gamers will leave their basements and head out to their downtown Halifax lounge to eat, drink and play.

Scott Baker and girlfriend Emily Clarke-Haughn are preparing to open PVP Bar & Gaming Lounge, a licensed restaurant and bar aimed at video game and gaming enthusiasts.

It’s a gamble for the pair, having never run a business, let alone a kitchen-and-bar business on Halifax’s waterfront.

More here...
Says it'll be on Upper Water Street and hopes to open in March.

Last edited by Haligonian88; Feb 20, 2014 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Should be General Updates, not Retail

Old Posted Feb 21, 2014, 1:17 AM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post

I think it's the lack of well-priced and/or modern space. Most of the empty storefronts downtown are old and outdated; don't blame the retailers, blame the landlords.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 4:25 PM

Journey's will be opening their second Halifax location in Halifax Shopping Centre this spring

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 1:32 AM

Quote:
The IKEA store in Dartmouth was only marginally profitable, but the Sunday shopping rule was the coup de grace for the company and it's relationship to Nova Scotia.
Exactly. I still have a Dartmouth Ikea chair from the 70s in my summer place. Will never part with it. My relatives from Houston came to NS and we took them there and they were blown away..how could WE have something this cool?? Turns out of course we couldn't.
Sunday shopping killed all sorts of commerce. Idiotic nonsense. Even kids with tin foil hats could tell Sunday commerce would come eventually. All NS was doing was shooting itself in the foot. So terrible really. It made me FURIOUS.
I moved to Toronto with my Ikea furntiure and even there they didn;t know much about it in the 80s. A missed opportunity...maybe different now I hope. I nevber shop there anymore...but still.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General