HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 2:26 PM

I bought a dresser at IKEA here in Edmonton last week, the first time I've ever stepped foot in one of their stores. WOW I finally saw what the hype was all about!

Their prices are very reasonable and the products are good quality and the store is MASSIVE. After being there for about 5 minutes I thought to myself that this would definitely work in HRM. I'm afraid Moncton is too small for a store that big but HRM would just cut it I think.

One more thing re: Moncton's centrality in the Maritimes. In a way this argument kind of bothers me because to some degree I think it's false. Unless you live in Amherst or Springhill area then everywhere else in Nova Scotia is closer by road to Halifax then Moncton. Maybe because PEI is very close via the bridge then it works for everyone, I'm not sure, but NB and PEI together is the same population (or even smaller still) then Nova Scotia.

Having that extra "up front" population base trumps everything from CFL to big box development in favor of Halifax.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 2:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I am not going to argue the fact that the larger urban population of Halifax, and the young, educated and fashion conscious demographic of HRM doesn't give Halifax a decided advantage over Moncton in terms of establishing a solid retail base. Obviously it does......

For destination retailers however, the larger regional population base becomes a more important factor in the decision making process and these retailers (think LL Bean) will tend to look at who is willing to drive a couple of hours to spend a good part of the day at their store. This is an entirely different kettle of fish, and in this equation, the population base within a couple of hours of Moncton is not that much different than a couple of hours of Halifax.

Also, for Bass Pro and Cabela's, they really aren't interested in an urban demographic, as most hunters and fishermen are rural folk. This would also play into their decision to base in Moncton. Moncton is simply more convenient to the consumer base that these retailers are catering to. This is no offense to Halifax - it is simply reality. It is a reality similar to the one that argues that IKEA would obviously choose Halifax over Moncton when the time come to return to the Maritimes.

Each city has it's strengths. High end national department stores and fashion retailers will come to Halifax first. Fishing, camping and hunting retailers (and possibly factory outlet retailers) might cast a more favourable eye on Moncton.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2014, 5:38 PM

I would love to see La Maison Simon open in Halifax, great addition to HSC where Sears is.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I was alive and living in Halifax at the time of this debacle.

The IKEA store in Dartmouth was only marginally profitable, but the Sunday shopping rule was the coup de grace for the company and it's relationship to Nova Scotia.

Coupled with that was a move by IKEA to change it's business model in North America, concentrating only on megastores in urban areas of greater than a million inhabitants and the Dartmouth store was doomed.

IKEA did say that they would never come back to NS, but that was more than a quarter century ago and times (and company managers) change and Halifax is now very different than it used to be. I personally think the odds are reasonably good that IKEA would return to HRM sometime in the next decade.....
I think that IKEA could very well be coming back to Halifax-Dartmouth in the next 1-3 years. With the Winnipeg store opening in late 2012, they're virtually built out in the 7 biggest metro areas in Canada (the 7 NHL cities). After that, its Quebec City, Hamilton, Kitchener-Waterloo, London, St Catharines-Niagara & Halifax. Only Quebec City & Halifax are wouldn't impact their massive Burlington store. Bet they end up a Bayers Lake or Dartmouth Crossing.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
I would love to see La Maison Simon open in Halifax, great addition to HSC where Sears is.
would prefer a DT Store, but that would be spectacular. Simons has been my sweater store for about 25 years

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 7:01 PM

when did the IKEA close down that way?

Victoria about the same size as halifax used to have a small IKEA store it closed in the late 80's i think

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 7:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
when did the IKEA close down that way?

Victoria about the same size as halifax used to have a small IKEA store it closed in the late 80's i think
It closed about 1988 IIRC.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 6:33 PM

ok same time

vancouver always gets credit for having the first IKEA but didn't IKEA originally open its first store in halifax area has a test store? thus opening before vancouver...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
ok same time

vancouver always gets credit for having the first IKEA but didn't IKEA originally open its first store in halifax area has a test store? thus opening before vancouver...
Thats a good question.

Might be hard to get an answer to it though, as IKEA themselves have scrubbed any reference to their Halifax store from their website and now only mentions the Van store.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 8:17 PM

IKEA on Windmill was he first in North America

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 4:21 PM

There's a reference to the store in a Toronto Star article from today:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...e_of_ikea.html

Quote:
Ikea opened its first North American store in Dartmouth, N.S. in 1975, but closed 13 years later due to low sales. Multiple petitions have since circulated for the return of an East Coast store.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 6:48 PM

It's great that this guy came up with the idea - it fills a void. My only concern is that if Ikea sees there are all these orders and starts re-evaluating the economics, he might be out of business if they open a store somewhere in the maritimes!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 7:22 PM

There's a delicate balance between not enough and too much success for an operation like this. Not enough and you're not profitable - too much and somebody might decide to compete with you.

That said, it sounds like he is expanding his business to the point that servicing other areas could still be viable even if Ikea came back to the maritimes.

Good for him, seeing an opportunity and following through with it.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
There's a reference to the store in a Toronto Star article from today:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...e_of_ikea.html
Ikea HAS to be aware of this guy. He's been doing this for a couple years now. The article even says they clear the rows for him sometimes!

You'd think they'd FINALLY get the fact that an Eastern Canada store is both wanted and needed.

I give the guy credit, but Id take a store over a delivery service any day!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Ikea opened its first North American store in Dartmouth, N.S. in 1975, but closed 13 years later due to low sales. Multiple petitions have since circulated for the return of an East Coast store.
The Star knows whats what!

Now, to get IKEA themselves to "remember" the Halifax store, lol

Old Posted Feb 1, 2014, 7:55 PM

The Trail Shop's North Face store beside Middle Spoon is now closed. Hakim Optical on Spring Garden is now empty, I would assume renovations for Tim's will start soon.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 3:49 PM

Nestle Toll House Café opens today on Spring Garden

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 4:08 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Where is the Toll House Café on SGR?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 4:41 PM
hi

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 10:19 PM
hi

Mid Point Coffee is a locally-owned café opening in the Second Cup space on SGR:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...ve-local-focus

(I guess this could have gone in the restaurant thread but it's near the Toll House Café mentioned above).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General