HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea93 View Post
There are many people on social media claiming that Mic Mac's Hudson's Bay store will be opening a Topshop store this year. This would likely include their mens' store Topman.Topshop/Topman is a Bristish high-street fashion chain that have been opening in the top Hudson's Bay stores in Canada or as stand alone stores (Hudson's Bay has the exclusive rights to their Canadian stores).
Bonnie Brooks of Hudson's Bay was in town this week on a speaking engagement. Afterwards, she was asked if the company might ever return to Halifax, and the answer was yes. She said they closed the Chebucto Rd store because the opportunity to sell the real estate came along, but that they were interested in a return to Halifax in the relatively near future. While that is a rather glib answer - the Chebucto Rd store was never going to do well in that location and with that design - it is encouraging to learn that they seem to be interested in a return to this market.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 3:04 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Bonnie Brooks of Hudson's Bay was in town this week on a speaking engagement. Afterwards, she was asked if the company might ever return to Halifax, and the answer was yes. She said they closed the Chebucto Rd store because the opportunity to sell the real estate came along, but that they were interested in a return to Halifax in the relatively near future. While that is a rather glib answer - the Chebucto Rd store was never going to do well in that location and with that design - it is encouraging to learn that they seem to be interested in a return to this market.
That is good news. I think that Hudson's Bay could do really well in Halifax with a more modern store and a better location - downtown perhaps?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 5:19 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
That is good news. I think that Hudson's Bay could do really well in Halifax with a more modern store and a better location - downtown perhaps?
It would make a great anchor for Park Lane, although I'm not sure if there's enough space there.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea93 View Post
There are many people on social media claiming that Mic Mac's Hudson's Bay store will be opening a Topshop store this year. This would likely include their mens' store Topman.Topshop/Topman is a Bristish high-street fashion chain that have been opening in the top Hudson's Bay stores in Canada or as stand alone stores (Hudson's Bay has the exclusive rights to their Canadian stores).
it will only be a dept a sectioned off area of "topshop"

not a standalone store and it will be small if it is like most of the other mall Bay's that have them out west

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 10:45 AM

I was reading an article on Retail Insider this morning about Hudson's Bay and their plans for expansion and possible new stores this year. It commented on rumors about a new store for Halifax but said nothing more.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 11:11 AM

If Hudson's Bay is bringing Topshop/Topman to Halifax then it shows how confident they are in this city. A second store wouldn't surprise me. They'd probably want the Sears space at Halifax Shopping Centre if/when it sells it's lease. A downtown store would be great though...

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
I was reading an article on Retail Insider this morning about Hudson's Bay and their plans for expansion and possible new stores this year. It commented on rumors about a new store for Halifax but said nothing more.
My money is on the Sears space at HSC but I'd love to see it downtown. However, Retail Insider no longer seems to have any insider information.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 7:07 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

An ultra-secret source recently mentioned the rumour already posted here about Sobeys considering a full-sized grocery store for Scotia Square.

That seems to fit in well with the residential development happening downtown and the plans for Cogswell.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
An ultra-secret source recently mentioned the rumour already posted here about Sobeys considering a full-sized grocery store for Scotia Square.

That seems to fit in well with the residential development happening downtown and the plans for Cogswell.
I wonder if the old Good life fitness space is large enough. its never been added to their Vacancies listing and its been empty for a while

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 12:14 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaxanax View Post
I wonder if the old Good life fitness space is large enough. its never been added to their Vacancies listing and its been empty for a while
Apparently the former Goodlife spot was about 20,000 square feet. I'm not sure where it was located in the mall or if it ties in with the Barrington Street redevelopment that is planned.

I wonder if Crombie would also consider switching the Triangle Lands plan to residential.

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Apparently the former Goodlife spot was about 20,000 square feet. I'm not sure where it was located in the mall or if it ties in with the Barrington Street redevelopment that is planned.

I wonder if Crombie would also consider switching the Triangle Lands plan to residential.
Triangle Lands plan?

I know there is a bowling ally inquiring about the old Goodlife spot but the rest is probably going to be too high for them.

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 6:44 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Triangle Lands would be the approved building site adjacent to Barrington Place.

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 6:46 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaxanax View Post
A Sobeys grocery store would be great, and full circle as there used to be one in Scotia Square many years ago...

Old Posted May 4, 2014, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Triangle Lands would be the approved building site adjacent to Barrington Place.
Thats no more with the cogswell interchange plans

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 2:12 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I was wondering about that, since there was no mention of it in the interchange plans. How can they just cancel an approved development, or did Crombie/Sobeyys just let them have it?

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 4:53 PM

See page 67 of the 116 page report.

IIRC Waye Mason said that Crombie was engaged and is on board.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 6:36 PM

How many retail stores do you think its possible for downtown Halifax could currently support at maxamin. Hypothetically if every retail space was filled with shops in a week would it reach a saturation point where many of them would suffer or do you think it would bring more people into the area. What kind of effect would say 50 new retail business have on the area speared across downtown, quinpool, agricola, gottingen

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 1:51 AM

There is a large space being prepared on the second floor of Mic Mac. Eddie Bauer is relocating downstairs, BMO is relocating to part of the former East Side Mario's space and Stitches has relocated. This will free up a large, 17,000 sq.ft. space. Any idea what it might be for? Possibly Zara? I can't think of many retailers that would require that large of a space other than H&M or Forever 21 which are already in MMM. Possibly Crate & Barrel or Pottery Barn?

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 5:11 PM

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 8:37 PM

Even Pottery Barn may be too small to take the space. Unless they include Pottery Barn kids maybe. Anyway, it's clear the space has a tenant as the mall is clearing the space rapidly. Eddie Bauer staff didn't know what was replacing their old space.

Last edited by icetea93; May 8, 2014 at 9:07 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General