HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 14, 2005, 11:39 PM
BANNED

Condominium planned on site of Earl Abel's restaurant

Tricia Lynn Silva

Local commercial real estate firm Koontz McCombs plans to develop a new high-rise condominium at the corner of Broadway and Hildebrand -- at the site of Earl Abel, a landmark San Antonio restaurant.

Earl Abel's has been located at that site for some 65 years.

"Our goal is to build something that will help ensure that this historic area of the city continues to thrive for many generations to come," Koontz McCombs President Bart Koontz says. "We believe this development will be something the neighborhood and all of San Antonio can be very proud of."

Koontz adds that he believes this project will serve as a catalyst for the redevelopment of Broadway -- and thus will help breathe new life and vitality "into the heart of this great city."

The project has yet to be christened with a name. Construction is slated to begin in late 2006, and is set to come online in 2008.

Meanwhile, restaurant owner Jerry Abel is still considering the future of his restaurant business.

"It's hard to walk away from it, but at the same time the building is old and needs an awful lot of maintenance, which is quite expensive," he says of the current Earl Abel's site. "It was really getting to a point that it stops making good business sense to keep going in this facility."

Abel says he is still considering options for the future of the business. He says he is open to the possibility of moving the restaurant to a new location. However, he has made no final decision.

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

Old Posted Nov 15, 2005, 12:24 AM
BANNED

The Sunset Station/Inner East area is gonna look really good in a few years with the two 20 story towers and the 13 story Staybridge Suites and the 32 story (if its not the two 20 stories) condo highrise all being built in the same general area.

Man!

Talk about an improved skyline.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2005, 12:35 AM
BANNED

More Broadway St. redevelopment news:

C.H. Guenther & Son buys ButterKrust building for new headquarters

C.H. Guenther & Son Inc., maker of Pioneer and White Wings brand of flour, baking mixes and tortillas, closed Monday on the purchase of the former ButterKrust property on Broadway from San Antonio Water System (SAWS).

SAWS bought the property in 2003 with plans to remodel the 110,000-square foot building into its new corporate headquarters.

However, San Antonio-based Valero Energy Corp. (NYSE: VLO) agreed to sell its headquarters at U.S. Highway 281 near Mulberry to the water system for $27.25 million, well below market rate. Valero has since consolidated headquarters to the former Ultramar Diamond Shamrock Corp. campus -- a company Valero acquired in 2001.

Now that SAWS has sold the ButterKrust building to Guenther Development LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of C.H. Guenther & Son, a new tenant has finally been found for the historic property.

C.H. Guenther plans to redevelop the long-vacant building into its new corporate headquarters. Currently, the company's headquarters are located just south of the King William District where it maintains its manufacturing operations.

"We are pleased to acquire the ButterKrust site, which will give us the opportunity to participate in the redevelopment of the Broadway corridor," C.H. Guenther President and CEO Dale W. Tremblay says. "While the redevelopment process will take time, we are well positioned to contribute to the efforts to bring new life to this important part of the city."

C.H. Guenther needs additional space as it works to acquire new businesses and grow its original brands. Earlier this year, a joint venture between C.H. Guenther and East Balt, purchased the bakery assets of Golden West Foods from RHM Ltd. Golden West supplies the buns and English muffins for McDonald's restaurants in the United Kingdom and Belgium.

"We're just delighted to pass stewardship of this beloved local landmark to one of San Antonio's oldest and most respected companies," SAWS Board Chairman James Mayor says. "This helps ensure the redevelopment of lower Broadway will indeed be realized."

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/sa...ml?jst=b_ln_hl

Old Posted Nov 15, 2005, 1:54 AM
JACKinBeantown

I remember eating at Earl Abel's as a kid after some school function. It'll be sad to see it go in a way, but if the owner (and family owner at that) says the building is hard to keep up I guess I understand. Still... 65 years.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2005, 7:07 AM
BANNED

Video on the condo highrise in Uptown:

http://www.woai.com/mediacenter/defa...video.woai.com

Old Posted Nov 16, 2005, 11:20 AM
BANNED

I love this picture:

Medina Lake area.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2005, 3:38 PM
Austinite

great picture! The hills and lakes/valleys west and northwest of San Antonio are stunning.... Along with the colorado river valleys W and NW of austin, the area pictured are among the most scenic in Texas

Old Posted Nov 16, 2005, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayTownboy
I love this picture:

Medina Lake area.
It is an extremely beautiful country...the Hillcountry is. There was a great drive in the back area between San Marcos to 281 just north of Canyon Lake...the Devil's Back Bone I think? So fun to drive all that area.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2005, 10:10 PM
James

The Devils Back Bone was an awesome site to see, I drove it with my dad and sister over this passed summer. I wish I would have taken pictures, oh well, too late now.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2005, 10:35 PM
Houston:Considered Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayTownboy
I love this picture:

Medina Lake area.
That'd be a good place for a McDonalds!!!!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2005, 11:08 PM
James

^^^ I totally agree with you!!!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 1:25 AM
BANNED

I drove up Broadway tonight (about 6:30) from downtown to Hildebrand.

Man, there is just so much potential for that area.

I mean, driving up the street you see BMW dealerships, Lexus dealerships, and other luxury car dealerships but then you see abandoned buildings and old vacant car lots, etc.

The traffic is def there, it took about 15 minutes to drive 2 and a half miles.

Also, the 4-story office building complex looks really nice.

Broadway could and hopefully will be very special in a few years.

Very special.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 5:04 AM

Website for downtowns newest urban village on the Riverwalk.

http://www.piazzasanlorenzo.com/master_site_plan.html
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 6:38 AM
BANNED

Galaxy's gone; meet the Rialto

Web Posted: 11/17/2005 12:00 AM CST

Larry Ratliff
Express-News Film Critic

The Galaxy Theater has long seemed like an old friend. The first movie I ever saw in San Antonio, "The Jerk," starring Steve Martin, was there in 1979.

Oddly enough, Martin and the theater near the intersection of Loop 410 and Interstate 35 have both undergone significant transformations recently.

Martin, no longer the "wild and crazy guy," is taking on leading-man dramatic roles these days ("Shopgirl").

The Galaxy, thanks to a $2 million renovation, has been reborn as the Santikos Rialto Cinema Bistro. A dinner-and-a-movie house, the Rialto caters to adult moviegoers, much like Santikos' Bijou at Crossroads.

Can't decide whether to go to dinner or take in a movie during those precious hours when the baby sitter's clock is ticking? You can do both at the vastly remodeled venue with the noticeably changed front.

Once inside the doors with ornate handles, the Rialto offers nine movie choices and two sit-down dining options — three if you count the snack bar.

Patrons can head straight across the teal, mauve and blue-swirl carpet to their auditorium of choice or dine in the lobby's free-standing Italian restaurant, The Bella Napoli.

Perhaps you're puzzled about the nine auditoriums and not 10, which used to be the case. One of the 300-seat auditoriums took one for the team, so to speak. It's now the monstrous kitchen.

Food and beverage director Gary Smith and his staff need somewhere to prepare serious dinner dishes. Gamberi Rialto ($13.95), for instance, features six jumbo grilled shrimp with a lemon butter garlic caper sauce. In a fowl mood? Chicken Parmigiana ($10.95) fills a plate with chicken medallions, fresh tomato sauce and Italian cheeses.

Film buffs in a hurry or just in the mood to combine the movie and dining experience can proceed directly to the auditoriums. A now-familiar layout awaits, one similar to Bijou at Crossroads or Alamo Drafthouse Cinema. That means regular movie seats with wooden benches between them as tables.

The lean forward to the food bench seems a little more of a stretch here than at similar venues. It's not bad, though. The service, while a little slow arriving (but with an apology), was attentive and knowledgeable.

Food choices inside the theaters are varied enough to suit almost any hunger. Everything from pizza ($7.87 for the supreme) to cheese sticks ($5.79) and beyond to chips and salsa ($3.70) and buffalo wings ($6.48) are available.

I opted for the beef fajita salad ($8.10) and a cup of Starbucks coffee (small regular drip for $1.25).

For those more adventurous (or not on the clock), coffee choices can be spiked into Irish Whiskey ($6), Calypso Rum ($6) or Cossack Vodka ($6), just to name a few. Mixed drinks and wine are available as well.

The Rialto, named in honor of the bridge in Venice, Italy, represents yet another step in John Santikos' innovative style.

I'm not quite sure what the player piano and the two pool tables next to the formal dining tables (covered with table cloths) in the lobby dining area are all about.

The fully renovated bathrooms are state-of-the-art, though. I've seen automatic faucets before and hand-motion automatic towel dispensers. At the Rialto, though, just place your hands under the soap dispenser and plop, you've been dispensed.

A few operational bugs remain, which will no doubt soon be worked out. The movie in the auditorium I was in, for instance, was well underway before the house lights went down. And the projected image was slightly out of proportion to the screen.

The Rialto Bistro is a welcome addition to the San Antonio movie landscape. No cost corners appear to have been cut, and portraits of legendary stars from Hollywood's golden era (Groucho Marx, Mae West, Bette Davis, etc.) hang in the lobby. That's a nice touch.

Any movie emporium that has gone to this much trouble and expense to please its patrons serves two-fold notice:

Serious movie fare will be shown here. And, you want fries ($3.47) or a margarita (Rialto Rita, $9) with that?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business....196baaff.html

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 7:54 AM
BANNED

Massive Comal project unveiled

Web Posted: 11/18/2005 12:00 AM CST

Roger Croteau
Express-News Staff Writer

NEW BRAUNFELS — Community leaders got their first look Thursday at a planned 265-acre mixed-use development that promises to be the largest of its kind in this city.

Creekside, planned for the northeast corner of Interstate 35 and FM 306, would include retail space, restaurants, a movie theater, hospital, medical office park, amphitheater, day spa, hotel and apartments.

In all, the $200 million project would include about 1 million square feet of development, rivaling the San Marcos outlet malls in sheer size.

The mixed-use development was introduced Thursday afternoon at a reception with community leaders and the developers.

"It's a huge opportunity for our city," New Braunfels Chamber of Commerce Economic Development Director Rusty Brockman said. "This kind of development provides not just jobs, but a broad range of tax base. It's a destination for people all over the area, kind of like the outlet malls in San Marcos."

But developer Jim Ray of Texas Commercial Investments said Creekside is "going after a completely different market" than the outlet malls.

Kenneth Lockard, president of Lockard Cos., Texas Commercial's partner in the project, said retailers are lining up to commit to locating at Creekside.

"The traction this project has gained so quickly, it is going to happen," he said. "This is an immense project, but we are moving quickly. I expect we'll be turning dirt in August or September and have stores open by Thanksgiving 2007."

The developers have proposed forming a tax increment financing district, which would divert the property tax created by the development to pay for road and drainage improvements needed at the site.

The developers have proposed extending FM 306 through their site. Local officials want to extend the road as part of an outer loop around New Braunfels.

"I think it's fabulous," Councilwoman Valerie Hull said. "It looks like a good, solid project. What more could you ask for?"

Monroe Miller, New Braunfels Economic Development Corp. board member, said the sales tax generated by Creekside would help the city fund other economic development projects in the future.

The intersection appears to be a hotbed for new development. H-E-B plans to build a new store, with an attached shopping center and pad sites directly across the highway from Creekside.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business....1b76f24c.html

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 7:55 AM

Where the heck is there a lexus dealer or BMW dealer on broadway? Cavender Caddy and they chrysler/jeep dealer is still there but the other car dealers are all around 410. I do think that broadway will see some real change with gunther going in, but I hate for it to lose it kinda funky vibe that it gives off.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2005, 10:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coddat
Where the heck is there a lexus dealer or BMW dealer on broadway? Cavender Caddy and they chrysler/jeep dealer is still there but the other car dealers are all around 410. I do think that broadway will see some real change with gunther going in, but I hate for it to lose it kinda funky vibe that it gives off.
The Lexus dealership is in NoDo.

And the BMW is also on Broadway.

It sells BMW mopeds and such.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2005, 12:10 AM
JACKinBeantown

I hope they do a good job building the complex in New Braunfels. In words at least it has the potential to be something cool.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2005, 3:59 AM

Lexus of San Antonio is at lockhill-selma and san pedro right behind the pyramid building. So I would call that north San Antonio above the loop. Alamo BMW barely counts since they don't sell cars and aren't affiliated with BMW center of San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 19, 2005, 4:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coddat
Lexus of San Antonio is at lockhill-selma and san pedro right behind the pyramid building. So I would call that north San Antonio above the loop. Alamo BMW barely counts since they don't sell cars and aren't affiliated with BMW center of San Antonio
How does Alamo BMW barely count when they sell BMW products? Whether its cars or other automobiles.

How does Alamo BMW barely count if its not affiliated with BMW center of San Antonio?

But you're right, it wasn't a Luxus dealership as I thought, it is a Cadillac dealership.

Cavender Cadillac

Located in NoDo about half a mile south of the 281/35 interchange.

So as I said, Broadway has so much potential!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations