HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 10:24 PM
BANNED

Sorry I might be behind on the information, but since this project seems to be moving so quickly, are there set dates yet for the demolition and beginning of construction work on the new buildings?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 8:58 PM

Super excited!!! I just saw renderings for the apartment building. Unfortunately I can't share yet, but for those of you are consistently saying 'I wish the VIC could be higher', well, if the renderings are accurate, this building is going to be the VICx2. Similarities are numerous - windows appear to be similar in quantity and size, white exterior finish on the tower (no red balconies though), lop-sided-v-shaped roof, similar treatment with first several floors of exterior finishes be something different (could not tell what), and 17 floors high (from the lower side of the lot).

There is going to be a 5ish level above ground parkade on the site, but the ground level appears to be shops.

Overall, this whole development is shaping up quite nicely! Will post something if I can.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 9:08 PM

It would be cool if they did the balconies in a different colour of glass, either way it'll look interesting having two buildings that look identical from afar on either end of downtown.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 11:15 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post
Super excited!!! I just saw renderings for the apartment building. Unfortunately I can't share yet, but for those of you are consistently saying 'I wish the VIC could be higher', well, if the renderings are accurate, this building is going to be the VICx2. Similarities are numerous - windows appear to be similar in quantity and size, white exterior finish on the tower (no red balconies though), lop-sided-v-shaped roof, similar treatment with first several floors of exterior finishes be something different (could not tell what), and 17 floors high (from the lower side of the lot).

There is going to be a 5ish level above ground parkade on the site, but the ground level appears to be shops.

Overall, this whole development is shaping up quite nicely! Will post something if I can.
Great news. I'm just pumped that the street will be addressed properly!

Now only if the Trinity development starts up!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 11:27 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Hmm.. I remember seeing a Vic-like rendering. I guess it must have been in AllNS or something. It's not up on their website.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 12:08 AM
BANNED

Does anyone have this rendering?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 1:15 AM

There is this document Dmajackson posted a couple pages back. Page 24 has an elevation and Page 34 has a rendering. The document is a black and white photo copy of the original, so I assume Northendguy has seen the original color renderings? From the few renderings on the project website that show the apartment in the background - I thought it had a bland color/material scheme, looked like it was from the 80's or 90's. Hopefully the color versions of these renderings show a different look.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 1:54 AM
we built this city

The Vic's big brother:

And another cool shot of the site from the wind study:

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 2:22 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

As the wind study model shows, these should add some depth to the northern end of the downtown skyline. They will be a bit taller than the apartments and will fill in gaps between Purdy's Wharf and the Scotia Square towers. If something good goes up on the Trinity site it will also pair well with these buildings.

Waterside should look good too. Soon this end of town won't be all 70s and 80s buildings.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 2:30 AM

Interesting. It's definitely somewhat Vic like. It looks like it misses the Vic's best feature though, the street front. The Vic does an amazing job of appearing at street-level to be several human-scaled buildings. Too often with modern buildings, because of their greater size, you just get one long fairly uninteresting expanse. The Vic avoids this by varying the setbacks and materials to almost appear like several different buildings for the first four storeys. Would be nice to see that approach used more often around town. That aside, it's hard not to like this project as it'll intensify the site, add more residents to the Downtown and will help reconnect the North End.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 4:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
As the wind study model shows, these should add some depth to the northern end of the downtown skyline. They will be a bit taller than the apartments and will fill in gaps between Purdy's Wharf and the Scotia Square towers. If something good goes up on the Trinity site it will also pair well with these buildings.

Waterside should look good too. Soon this end of town won't be all 70s and 80s buildings.
This will look amazing from the MacDonald Bridge!

The Waterside will contribute a different layer of height. With many of the towers reaching near the same height, the downtown is developing more of a shelf-effect.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
The document is a black and white photo copy of the original, so I assume Northendguy has seen the original color renderings? From the few renderings on the project website that show the apartment in the background - I thought it had a bland color/material scheme, looked like it was from the 80's or 90's. Hopefully the color versions of these renderings show a different look.
Yes, I did get a quick look at the renderings - unfortunatlely I did not get to mull over them for long. I did get a bit of a look at the finish materials list this morning though (though it is a bit vague at this point) Looks like white 'wall panels' (appears to be insulated aluminum type) for the tower section, darker 'wall panel' or precast panel (could be good, could be bad) for the midrise section of the tower & brick for the 3-4 levels before the tower setback. The materials list I saw is a little vague as to color, but I thought the renderings were quite good. Don't get me wrong - I don't think that this will have the same street appeal that the VIC has, but it certainly seems to have better street appeal than other properties in the area. I suspect that the street level appeal of this development will be similar to what is at the Trillium. The main attraction of this building will be the view from...wait for it...the citadel!! Now that is exciting!

And khp06 - the rendering you were referring to with the apartment in the background is NOT at all what the apartment renderings look like. (thank goodness...)

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 12:07 AM
積屍氣冥界波

A fence went up today:

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 1:30 AM
Honored Member

Thanks for the update. I am looking forward to seeing the demolition pictures.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 1:52 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This is going pretty quickly. I am optimistic, but can't help being a little worried that some bureaucratic snag will result in this site sitting empty for 30 years. HRM staff are probably going through the archives as we speak.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 1:53 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Are explosives planned for this demo? That would be cool to see instead of the slower wrecking ball type demos.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 2:56 AM
BANNED

They haven't the time to waste, considering they want the hotel open for the fall season of 2013.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
They haven't the time to waste, considering they want the hotel open for the fall season of 2013.
Let's hope the ecconomy doesn't nosedive before that time....

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 5:52 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This is going pretty quickly. I am optimistic, but can't help being a little worried that some bureaucratic snag will result in this site sitting empty for 30 years. HRM staff are probably going through the archives as we speak.
Right, it was supposed to be a massive children's playground this entire time, sorry developer, we need to maximize green space.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Right, it was supposed to be a massive children's playground this entire time, sorry developer, we need to maximize green space.
Come on guys - play nice. I have to defend planners, because I'm one (just not HRM). I'm sure this project will go through fine, I'm hearing that staff is really getting the new rules well understood and the timelines are improving quite quickly. From what I hear, most of the applications through HbD are hitting the timelines, with some exceptions where applicants need more information or were missing info.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth