HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 5:45 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

I went past the new downtown Shoppers yesterday, and they had the signage up and everything. Also went past the seniors apartment in Old East, and it looks like it's about one story up now. Oh, and it looks like Nuvo condos phase 2 is well under construction as well!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 9:03 PM
bro

Yeah, the Shoppers looks great. Sign's up and they even had the interior lights on last night.

Seems like it'll be done in no time

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 12:47 PM

Hey does anyone have any idea what's going up on Brescia lane at the UWO. Theyre just about done the new 3 story building but they just put up a second much taller tower crane. I went by the other day and it looks like its already at ground level.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 1:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^IVEY phase II
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 4:39 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Hey does anyone know if there is something planned for Windermere Road between Doon and... well, Doon? I was walking along it the other day and I noticed all the large trees had been removed from a particular lot. This seemed strange for me, since I assumed that if you were living on Windermere you'd want the privacy the trees give you.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2011, 4:44 PM
bro

Were the Ash trees?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
Hey does anyone know if there is something planned for Windermere Road between Doon and... well, Doon? I was walking along it the other day and I noticed all the large trees had been removed from a particular lot. This seemed strange for me, since I assumed that if you were living on Windermere you'd want the privacy the trees give you.
I believe this is a detached condo development with about 4-6 houses to be built.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 8:40 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolognium View Post
Were the Ash trees?
Not sure. If you're implying ash borer, there were a few other trees that were ripped out as well. Here's a view of what the spot looked like before: http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=winderm...327.69,,0,-0.7

And here is an extremely shitty BlackBerry shot showing the place now. Notice the small excavator just slightly above and to the left of the fire hydrant:

Quote:
Originally Posted by londoner_abroad View Post
I believe this is a detached condo development with about 4-6 houses to be built.
Is there any official word on that? Detached condos sound interesting, personally I was always hoping for some low-rises along Windermere so the LTC would re-route the 32 off of Doon Drive.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 9:40 PM

YOU is coming.

London gets a brand new YOU
Multimillion-dollar youth hub ready to open Only a few more construction days before Cornerstone building welcomes guests

ANGELA MULLINS/METRO
Stephen Szucs, of 1st Line Property Management, puts the finishing touches on the walls of the YOU Made It Café in the Cornerstone building. Youth Opportunities Unlimited is planning a grand opening of the building on Nov. 25.
More about London

London council committee OKs extra east-end eyes, delays shark fin decision

London News in Brief: shooting investigation, b-ball trade and health staff honoured

Council mulls Adelaide cameras

Comedy club coming to Western Fair District

ANGELA MULLINS
METRO LONDON
Published: November 15, 2011 10:34 p.m.
Last modified: November 15, 2011 10:57 p.m.

The wrapper is about to be peeled off a four-year labour of love.

Youth Opportunities Unlimited (YOU) is planning a Nov. 25 grand opening of its Cornerstone building at Richmond and York streets.

Steve Cordes, for one, is anxious to see the building spring to life. After that, he says, the real work starts.

“The excitement will be helping to support the development of partnerships … and making sure the full vision is realized,” Cordes, the executive director of YOU, said Tuesday.

That vision — creating a hub of services and opportunities for at-risk youth — began in 2007 when YOU bought the three-storey, nearly 140-year-old building. Within weeks, volunteers were gutting the first floor, once home to three bars.

“The taps were still on. We literally had to have someone come and turn them off,” Cordes said, as workers painted interior walls and began removing a temporary wood facade that has kept much of the work out of the public eye.

The $5-million facility — funded by a variety of donors and all levels of government — has faced obstacles and delays along the way.

One of the challenges was an unexpected structural problem that was causing the walls to collapse inward, officials have said. But some of the lengthy renovation is thanks to an eye for detail, Cordes said.

Plans have been put together piece by piece to make sure the building’s 33,000 square feet are shaped into a multifaceted facility that’s convenient for everyone.

The renovation also has included a bit of heritage work, with project leaders digging up the structure’s original blueprints and using them as a guide.

Some parts of the building are already in use, including a rooftop boardroom with glass walls looking out onto the city skyline. YOU’s Youth Action Centre has also moved in.

While the grand opening is set for next week, a few features — such as the YOU Made It Café operated by youth enrolled in YOU programs — isn’t ready to welcome the public just yet.

“We’re talking just a matter of weeks, though, before that’s ready,” Cordes said.

The building also incorporates transitional housing for teens and young adults.
More about London

Nov 24th for Shoppers and 25th for this.

A bit of a one two punch for the core, eh?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 1:36 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I don't think I've ever seen anybody buy anything from the YOU shop at the covent garden market. But then, I've never seen the blue Lounge open, nor anybody buy anything at that children's store on the second floor, not to mention, the two artist galleries (one guy is fascinated with table hockey iconography and pez guns...the other guy is just bizarro art)
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I don't think I've ever seen anybody buy anything from the YOU shop at the covent garden market. But then, I've never seen the blue Lounge open, nor anybody buy anything at that children's store on the second floor, not to mention, the two artist galleries (one guy is fascinated with table hockey iconography and pez guns...the other guy is just bizarro art)
Seniors Craft Store at Oxbury Mall does better than that.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 6:27 AM
most inspired name ever

YOU building is very well one inside (when of my friends lives there currently) exposed concrete and bick, all plumbing an ventilation is viable, perfectly done.

Also I have bought on the sampled relishes at the YOU booth in the market its actually quite good.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 6:45 AM
bro

Smile

I've been noticing a lot of little things happening on the street's of downtown over the past couple months. Here's a couple off the top of my head:

- New night lighting on the heritage buildings kitty-corner to the market
- Rock Universe opened on Dundas
- Che Restaurant opened on Dundas Street
- Construction of a rooftop patio at Lavish on Dundas
- Renovation activity at the Fun Foodz building on Dundas
- Club Noir opened in the old Salt Lounge on King
- Big League Comedy opened up at King/Richmond across from the Richmond Tavern
- Owners seem to be gutting 181 King beside Club Noir (every week there's a new mountain of garbage outside)
- Clicks and Club LG on Richmond both received face lifts
- North Moore Catering opened about 4 months ago on Dundas

I'm sure there's a ton more I'm forgetting. Plus there's lots of stuff within the last year or so like The Works burger joint on King and London's Shawarma on Clarence.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 1:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^new Paris Bakery in Covent Garden Market...no vacancies in that place now.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 3:18 AM
ARTchitecture

Can someone take a pic of the Old East development site?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2011, 4:34 AM
User Registered

The Crown on King? I don't often venture that way but if I do I'll be sure to snap a few photos.

The new development at 431 Richmond between Carling and Queen is nearly complete. The Shoppers Drug Mart on the ground floor is due to open on the 24th and the office floors later on this year.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 10:06 AM

Hey! Just wondering if any one in the area of the following projects could take some happy snaps!? I used to do a bi-weekly weekend tour of projects on the go and now I am going through withdrawal.. haha

1. The completed and open Shoppers DM at Richmond/Carling
2. New stacked towns across from Winners/LCBO plaza in Masonville at FanshawPark Rd W./North Centre Rd - the ones facing Fanshawe Park Rd
3. the completed work of the CIBC (and maybe the Wendy's if that was ever started) in Hyde Park across from Canadian Tire on Hyde Park Road.
4. The Rembrant townhouse complex on Hyde Park road south of the Smart Centre and north of the Storm Pond, particularly how the units ended up fronting onto Hyde Park Rd. (if completed)
5. 3 Storey Mixed use development at Wortley/Bruce in Old South
6. The completed Soccer Dome/Shed haha I just want to see if the did what was proposed along Rectory
7. Affordable housing behind the old OEV hardware store on the block east of Hewitt along Dundas
8. I would like to see how the development at Southdale & Colonel Talbot is doing? How does the Shoppers look - particularly along Colonel Talbot? - Anyone ever notice that the Tim Hortons there is facing its back to the street .. sigh..
9. Any downtown developments? I hear that the place between Cello and Kingwest was done? and I heard that the nice heritage building at King and Talbot is light up at night.
10. Last but not least.. this is really to just satisfy my own curiosity.. I have been wondering after seeing the ballon pics of the new Richmond and Sunningdale development (NW corner) if the houses are actually of a "Heritage look" with "houses closer to the street" and "garages taking up less of the frontage" as this will be a "walkable community" with " a main street shopping area" all paraphrased from the developers website.. So what I have been wondering is do the houses that are being built there now reflect any of the above?

Many thanks to anyone who can get some happy snaps of these projects..
Cheers

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 1:03 PM

Also the Wortley Village condos.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 4:33 PM
Sanity merchant

If you guys give me a map with the places dotted out and numbered, I have the time to do it this weekend (pending good weather) and can make a day of it (So I can plan a route)

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 4:55 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Currently at the dumbcentre at Hyde Park and Fanshawe Pk Road West, there is an unidentified construction at Seagull next to CIBC and a new Kelseys outlet on Fanshawe in front of Lowe's. 1 kilometer to the East, a new Catholic secondary school is going up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Projects & Construction Updates