HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Unless parking costs downtown go down (they wouldn't, ever) I can't rationalize driving to work. It's a giant waste of money and would rob me of the only decent exercise I get.

But living on a busy street I welcome electric cars. The new buses alone have been a pleasant improvement. Unfortunately the most obnoxious members of our society will always have their stereo/engine as loud as possible.
I have two cars, one for me one for my wife, and I would love to replace one of them with an electric... but you're right for one person it probably doesn't make sense to own two vehicle, actually for most unmarried people in Vancouver it doesn't make sense to own any vehicle unless it's some car you really like like a Corvette or a Saab, otherwise just get into a Car Share program.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 5:06 AM
HA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
I could see me having one electric car for around town trips and one gasoline car for longer trips. The new Nissan Leaf is something worth looking at.
Now that you're mentioning it, I'm seriously thinking of buying a Subaru Impreza WRX hatch after I finish grad school in around 1.5 to 2 years, to replace my current 2000 Honda Accord as my daily car (been driving it since 2002 back in 1st year UBC).

Then, later on, I can possibly consider getting a small electric car that can be just as fun as a Mini Cooper S (ones with good performance figures with instant torque at 0 rpm), for city driving within Richmond and Van during the weekdays, and take the Skytrain to downtown exclusively. As for my WRX, I can relegate that car to the weekends and for longer distance trips and road trips.

When I get married, she'll probably get a minivan lol.

I do not fit into the target audience for car-share or car-coop programs, as my career will require me to go to different client's homes throughout the day, as well as changing clients once in a few years. So, I'll need a car to get around for work. The only exception is going to downtown, where I can take the Canada Line Skytrain.

Last edited by The_Henry_Man; Sep 16, 2010 at 5:31 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 3:24 PM
loafing in lotusland

You won't need a minivan until you have 2+ kids... that seems to be the pattern.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 6:08 PM

We have a mini minivan, a Mazda 5. A great family car for families of 1 or 2 kids. I don't plan on having more than 2.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 6:42 PM
HA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
We have a mini minivan, a Mazda 5. A great family car for families of 1 or 2 kids. I don't plan on having more than 2.
I don't understand why there's such an obsession for boring, bloated large sedans in North America (esp the US). There needs to be more hatchback cars of all types, like in Europe (think VW Golf, Mazda3 hatch and Impreza hatch).

The upcoming 2011 Fiat 500 to the Canadian market is a good start.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Henry_Man View Post
I don't understand why there's such an obsession for boring, bloated large sedans in North America (esp the US).
Many years ago at a conference in Nashville I ended up with the last rental car they had - a Lincoln Town Car. Man that thing was long. I opened up the hood and there was literally two feet of empty space between the radiator and the front grille. They deliberately made car the car two feet longer than it needed to be.

Crazy...

Old Posted Sep 16, 2010, 10:33 PM
victory in near

i love when people predict technology 20 years in the future. can't be done. anything could happen. hell, we could all be flying around in jet packs then or diving the exact same type of cars

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 9:25 AM

We could all be dead

Hell some us probably will be dead in 20 years.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 10:38 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

American's do have an obsession with huge cars, but I can't say I wouldn't love to own one of these.

It's beautiful. That being said I otherwise like my cars tiny. But hey, just think of the number of batteries it could fit.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2010, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
i love when people predict technology 20 years in the future. can't be done. anything could happen. hell, we could all be flying around in jet packs then or diving the exact same type of cars
Except the future is here. Expect to see Nissan Leafs (Leaves?) on our streets in a few months. Remember how odd the first generation Prius seemed just a few short years ago?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure