HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 11:07 PM

New Mohawk College Campus: Recreation, Health and Wellness Centre

Here's some info on Mohawk's new Recreation, Health and Wellness Centre.
http://www.mohawkcollege.ca/referendum/

Not sure where they are planning on putting it as there isn't to much space left at the fennell campus, maybe across the street on fennell?? If anyone has any more info please share, as this is a must needed addition for Mohawk College.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 11:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

Where would the New Campus Recreation, Health and Wellness Centre be located?

The building will be constructed directly behind the existing gymnasium complex, allowing for the existing facility and nearby classrooms to be updated and incorporated into the new Centre.

Why was the proposed site selected?

The building will be built on the site adjacent to the existing gymnasium. It was determined that this site will provide ready access to on-campus students, and commuting students.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 11:15 PM
It's Hammer Time

Basically right next to the front entrance of Mohawk College, main bus stop (really the back entrance). Next to the Continuing Education Centre and the Day Care Centre. Right now it's a strip of land used for flag poles and a few benches.

Perhaps this might tie in with renovating the J Wing.

Construction is estimated to begin in Fall of 2009 and the new facility is expected to open in Fall of 2011

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 11:28 PM

Haha. Estimated to start. And it is up to the students to decide whether or not they want it.

66% of the school must vote in favour for it to be built. At the expense of
$75 more per semester..for a gym I won't even get to use, because I'll be graduated by then.

I'm working on getting a bus pass for the school, for $94.80 with the HSR over 8 months. You'll get to pay for the pass, and use it right away. I'd rather see that happen.

I'm still on the fence, but from what I see, the majority of people aren't going to pay for a gym they aren't going to use, so it will likely fail. They say that you'll get free access to the gym when it's open for as many semesters as you funded it, but for pete's sakes...I'm not going to go there ever. I'm going to have a real tough time to vote yes, from a personal standpoint. However, knowing Mohawk College needs some help and upgrades, that might push me to make the campus better for the future.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 11:52 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Haha. Estimated to start. And it is up to the students to decide whether or not they want it.

66% of the school must vote in favour for it to be built. At the expense of
$75 more per semester..for a gym I won't even get to use, because I'll be graduated by then.

I'm working on getting a bus pass for the school, for $94.80 with the HSR over 8 months. You'll get to pay for the pass, and use it right away. I'd rather see that happen.

I'm still on the fence, but from what I see, the majority of people aren't going to pay for a gym they aren't going to use, so it will likely fail. They say that you'll get free access to the gym when it's open for as many semesters as you funded it, but for pete's sakes...I'm not going to go there ever. I'm going to have a real tough time to vote yes, from a personal standpoint. However, knowing Mohawk College needs some help and upgrades, that might push me to make the campus better for the future.
perhaps you could think of the thousands of future students who will come through the school instead of just yourself.
Novel idea in today's society, I know.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 11:57 PM
It's Hammer Time

^^ Once you become an Alumnus you will be provided with discounted membership fees.

I tried to get students to support bus pass in 2004, I think, and it failed. Too many students that drive to Mohawk and don't care for transit. If there where a referendum on raising the parking rates you'll probably see a voting record haha

Old Posted Nov 4, 2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
perhaps you could think of the thousands of future students who will come through the school instead of just yourself.
Novel idea in today's society, I know.
congratulations for reading the whole post.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
^^ Once you become an Alumnus you will be provided with discounted membership fees.

I tried to get students to support bus pass in 2004, I think, and it failed. Too many students that drive to Mohawk and don't care for transit. If there where a referendum on raising the parking rates you'll probably see a voting record haha
Well, we actually got a facebook group 700 strong right now. Have a future article in the Satellite likely next week, and working on getting the word out.

We'll see what happens. You can admit that we are more environmentally conscientious and with gas prices much higher than then (although..the last few weeks have been pretty good..84 cents today) We'll see.

Mohawk has this GoGreen thing they're trying to push through. I find it pretty ignorant if they keep rejecting a pass that the HSR offers them (under the same deal as what MacMaster has)

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 2:09 PM
Closed account

Go leafs Go
I agree we should have a transit pass for us. Anyway I would like to join your facebook group. Also what program are you in?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 3:16 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Seriously tho... Mohawk has some serious problems.

Fennel (Main) campus is horrible, you'd never know that there's a college behind the berms and pine trees. Only in Hamilton, does it suck to be living near a College.

The surrounding roads make it an isolated pod having no benefit to the surrounding neighbourhood.

There's not enough residences, (because the neighbours complain -- again Only in Hamilton) so it lacks any kind of collegiate/campus experience.

The campus is a parking lot and useless fields.

There's no main entrance that looks like a main entrance.

They use a tacky mobile sign with neon letters. Actually I'm calling the by-law office about that sign, it should only be there for 3 months, once every 12 months.

The inside looks like an elementary school. Coloured lockers??? sheesh

The reputation is pathetic.

The Alumni House? what's with that?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 3:23 PM
Closed account

realcity, what's with all the niagara falls photos in your image?? is THAT a 'real city' ?? Lol.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 3:26 PM
Closed account

Actually from what I know Mohawk has a pretty good reputation. The colored lockers are in one small part of the school. I think its a great college and I am enjoying my time there and I havne't herd anyone say they are not.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 3:42 PM
It's Hammer Time

I think all the lockers are blue.

Lately the College has been renovating the interior a lot, the main floor.

It would be nice to upgrade the Student Centre, though I like the upgrades to the media room.

I would love to see bike lanes extended from West 5th from Mohawk to Fennell. Than have bike lanes along Fennell at least from West 5th to Garth.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Seriously tho... Mohawk has some serious problems.

Fennel (Main) campus is horrible, you'd never know that there's a college behind the berms and pine trees. Only in Hamilton, does it suck to be living near a College.

The surrounding roads make it an isolated pod having no benefit to the surrounding neighbourhood.

There's not enough residences, (because the neighbours complain -- again Only in Hamilton) so it lacks any kind of collegiate/campus experience.

The campus is a parking lot and useless fields.

There's no main entrance that looks like a main entrance.

They use a tacky mobile sign with neon letters. Actually I'm calling the by-law office about that sign, it should only be there for 3 months, once every 12 months.

The inside looks like an elementary school. Coloured lockers??? sheesh

The reputation is pathetic.

The Alumni House? what's with that?
Most Ontario colleges are located on suburban campuses much like Mohawk's.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
realcity, what's with all the niagara falls photos in your image?? is THAT a 'real city' ?? Lol.
haha, actually it does have a real downtown, the historic one, street retail, restaurants, government buildings, even tho it's mostly boarded up, there is an effort to revitalize it, and the new Convention Centre should help.

Given to the fact it's one of the world's most visited tourist destinations and reflects that, It has transit, small street grid, manufacturing, a downtown VIA station. Remember it's only a city of 50,000.

Plus it has some awesome scrapers and i do a lot work out there.

my avatar also shows London and Toronto

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 4:24 PM

guys I don't mean to crap all over Mohawk. I'm probably ignoring a lot of the good things. I just get frustrated with it, and see the glass half empty when it comes to Mohawk.

Unless the college is in Toronto; George Brown, Humber, OCAD, Ryerson (the last two decided to become Universities, but started out as colleges).

I think the suburban Ontario college model sucks even more the US style of a huge college in a tiny town, creating so-called 'college towns', with the college being the principle employer, a little main street blvd, stadium, and side streets filled with Georgian picture book mansions.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Town View Post
Go leafs Go
I agree we should have a transit pass for us. Anyway I would like to join your facebook group. Also what program are you in?
I'm in Transportation Engineering. just search "Mohawk Bus Pass" on Facebook and you'll find the group pretty darn easily.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 8:31 PM
Closed account

I found the group and joined.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2008, 10:22 PM
Closed account

I've got a newspaper insert called 'Perspective Hamilton 2009'.
It shows a new 3 storey building at Fennell and West 5th for St Joes (across from Mohawk).
Pretty decent looking building actually.
Also, they have some great renderings of HSR light rail vehicles.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2008, 4:14 PM
Closed account

great news here:

http://www.thespec.com/News/article/462202

perhaps he'll push to bring a campus downtown.
Lord knows Mac ain't.

Brock announced today that they are moving their entire arts school into downtown St Catharines.
Sigh. Another school that cares about their city's urban core.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues