HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 6:38 PM

Same story here. I got antsy in my late twenties and moved to San Francisco. I had a really good job in Denver. Too good. Everybody there was just glad to be locked in to their cushy jobs and were just waiting to collect a ridiculously large pension at a ridiculously early age. When I put in my notice with no other reason than, "I think it would be a mistake to only live in one city my whole life," everyone thought I was crazy.

Now that I've lived in some other cities and have something to compare Denver to, I realize that Denver is actually pretty awesome. I'm moving back. I miss it.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
Well that's a significant upgrade, then.
If I make the move, I will undoubtedly have to spend more for less space than what I have now (renting), but I think it's a reasonable trade off at this point in my life. There's no doubt in my mind that we're in an asset bubble in the US right now, so maybe in two or three years I'll get lucky and prices will be more reasonable.
It sure does seem that at least many places have gotten ahead of themselves but whether things deflate or whether they just tread water for a period of time is hard to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
My whole thing about this conversation, that I forgot to mention, is that I've been here my entire life. I've never lived in another place. As much as I don't want to contribute to 'thinning out' the Colorado native population, I think to live a well rounded life you need to live somewhere else at least for a while. Denver's great, Denver's awesome but I'm getting really antsy for something bigger and better, especially after seeing some much larger cities.
That makes good sense and on that basis Chicago also makes good sense.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 6:57 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Colorado feels like home to me. But Denver is not Colorado; Denver is a place I chose, which has changed dramatically. Not sure I'd miss Denver so much as I'd miss Colorado.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 7:01 PM

Ryan, I totally agree that it is good to move away and experience different places. I did the same and totally don't regret it. If anything I have moved around to much. I think Washington DC or Chicago would be a good change for you if you want a larger city. However, everyone I have ever known that has moved from Denver has returned or really wants too.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 8:21 PM

Quote:
My whole thing about this conversation, that I forgot to mention, is that I've been here my entire life. I've never lived in another place. As much as I don't want to contribute to 'thinning out' the Colorado native population, I think to live a well rounded life you need to live somewhere else at least for a while. Denver's great, Denver's awesome but I'm getting really antsy for something bigger and better, especially after seeing some much larger cities.
Do it, you won't regret it. My wife has some banking connections (and I probably do as well) in Chicago if you go that route (I think you said you work in banking).

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 8:53 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

You guys are all so awesome. I'm sure I'll miss it here if / when I do leave but it's also a big part of life to see and experience something else. Now that I'm not single and have an equally antsy fiancee, I'm sure we will actually be doing this.

I'll miss DenverInfilling, a lot a lot, but I would come back for guest posts (when I'm visiting) if Ken would let me

DenverPoke, thank you so much. I will keep you posted. I might try to get a gig with photography since I love doing that. Banking would be my can't-find-a-job last resort kind of thing.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 9:32 PM

When Ryan moves to Chicago and starts posting drone pictures and whatnot in some Chicago forum, we'll have another reason to be jealous of Chicago.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 9:33 PM

Quote:
You guys are all so awesome. I'm sure I'll miss it here if / when I do leave but it's also a big part of life to see and experience something else. Now that I'm not single and have an equally antsy fiancee, I'm sure we will actually be doing this.

I'll miss DenverInfilling, a lot a lot, but I would come back for guest posts (when I'm visiting) if Ken would let me

DenverPoke, thank you so much. I will keep you posted. I might try to get a gig with photography since I love doing that. Banking would be my can't-find-a-job last resort kind of thing.
Did the same thing - moved out to the bay area, which I still love and miss but, coming back to Colorado gave me a whole new perspective.

Seriously, though, why not somewhere on the west coast? LA or Seattle?
What about Canadian cities like Toronto or Vancouver? Is it difficult to work in Canada as a US citizen?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Sounds like they may want to move out of their HQ and find something bigger to consolidate their workforce. Having 6 floors of people that they couldn't have fit in their brand new HQ seems odd. They didn't expect that kind of growth?
I know, right? They haven't even been there that long. Weird.

I guess they'll just have to build a shiny new headquarters. And I guess this one will just have to be much taller.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 9:42 PM

Quote:
What about Canadian cities like Toronto or Vancouver? Is it difficult to work in Canada as a US citizen?
They're all more expensive than Denver. As I understand it Ryan is poor like me.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 11:45 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Bros he has to move before we can miss him....

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 5:15 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey View Post
Everyone I have ever known that has moved from Denver has returned or really wants too.
No desire to move back.

And TBH, the absolute refusal of some people to admit Colorado isn't for everyone is part of the reason why. Not saying that's you, but it's out there.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 8:46 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

If you don't like Coloradee then you can jus' geet owt.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 11:19 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

I typically don't like too much attention in my life but this is funny. Thanks mod friend!
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 11:52 PM
Never Dell

If you tour Seattle we have the mayor and a bucket drummer ready to join the welcoming parade.

We need a good drone photographer. Seriously. One actually knocked someone out at a parade the other day.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 3:27 PM

When I finally got ready to abandon Phoenix a couple of years ago, I looked at Denver, Chicago, and Portland. Since I had lived in Denver in the 1970s, I had a good idea of its pluses. Chicago, good and bad, spoke for itself. Portland was less dynamic but much easier to live in than the other two. I decided against Denver not because of the costs but because I wanted an urban experience that felt organic. All the new CPV development didn't speak to me. I wanted old bones and new blood. As much as I loved 1970s Denver, I knew it was changing in ways I really didn't like. Portland is changing, too. In 10 years, all the hipsters and oddballs will be priced out of the central city. The very people who make Portland wonderful at a granular level will be replaced by yuppies shopping at Williams-Sonoma and Restoration Hardware. But for the time being, it's close to heaven.

Chicago? I love it! But I'm too old for those winters.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
But really, children are so 20th century. Outside of Stapleton, who in Denver has children? Double income, no kids, that's the future!
Haha! This is fantastic.

Quote:
Imagine this but from Boise, Id. I love this city and it is a growing and prosperous little metro but there are days when I would love to experience something bigger, which wouldn't be that hard to do.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 8:38 PM

If you're willing to sacrifice, SLC would be a good choice. I have a 2500 sq foot house in a historic neighborhood built in 1926 less than 3 miles from downtown on a slightly busy street for 450k. Many of the other houses in my area go to 750k - 1 mil because they aren't on a busy street. A house like mine in Vancouver could fetch 1 mil. Look in to the western suburbs, affordable and lots of houses are new. I'm not entirely clear on the budget but you should be able to find a house for any price here.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Did the same thing - moved out to the bay area, which I still love and miss but, coming back to Colorado gave me a whole new perspective.

All of those cities are very nice but also very pricey. IIRC Vancouver has one of the most expensive housing markets in all of the Americas and the others share a similar fate. I would love to live in Vancouver but I don't want a shitty house.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2015, 9:12 PM
Never Dell

The average is nearly a million in Vancouver. A nice, reasonably central house would go for much more. I'd assume some multiple of SLC prices.

Small shoutout to Boise, where I lived for six years growing up. Things get pretty bad outside the core, but the core is pretty nice, aided by big trees everywhere. Great neighborhoods full of old houses are an easy walk to Downtown from the north and west, which also happen to be an easy walk from the hills. BSU adds a lot of energy also right in the middle. The Boise River might be the world's coolest urban feature, only slightly exaggerating...float it on an inner tube, ride the bike trails on both sides, whatever...utter heaven on a hot day. It's a very bike-heavy city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West