HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 10:57 PM
BANNED

Incredible speed

Born and raised in Panama City, but now living in San Francisco, CA. I remember growing up the city was already full of skyscrapers, but now everytime I go to visit my faimily I am SO amazed at the quantity of new ones. I do wish some of the designs would be a little better, some of those buildings are hideously haneous, like the "Palacio de la Bahia". Why can't ehy build buildings with classic lines that blend with the environment that surrounds them. Panama City is a very modern city, but still some of these buildings look like they belong in a different planet (ugly). Thing is, all these wonderful buildings and construction serve as a masquerade for the rest of the country which is poor and has a high level of unemployment. Going to Panama City is great, I do miss it at times, but I could never live there again. There is fantastic night life, stunning virgin beaches, eco-tourism, amazing diversity and great restaurants, warm and VERY humid weather all year round, and all the comforts of living in the US, good hospitals, schools, and the US dollar...still....I could not go back...

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 10:58 PM
BANNED

Incredible speed

Born and raised in Panama City, but now living in San Francisco, CA. I remember growing up the city was already full of skyscrapers, but now everytime I go to visit my faimily I am SO amazed at the quantity of new ones. I do wish some of the designs would be a little better, some of those buildings are hideously haneous, like the "Palacio de la Bahia". Why can't ehy build buildings with classic lines that blend with the environment that surrounds them. Panama City is a very modern city, but still some of these buildings look like they belong in a different planet (ugly). Thing is, all these wonderful buildings and construction serve as a masquerade for the rest of the country which is poor and has a high level of unemployment. Going to Panama City is great, I do miss it at times, but I could never live there again. There is fantastic night life, stunning virgin beaches, eco-tourism, amazing diversity and great restaurants, warm and VERY humid weather all year round, and all the comforts of living in the US, good hospitals, schools, and the US dollar...still....I could not go back...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2007, 5:37 AM
Supertall Fan #1

I saw a program on TV about Panama City and it's growth and then found this thread. Must be a very exciting time for you! Thanks for the cool renderings and the updates, I'll be watching the progress pics!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 7:10 PM

anybody know of a good construction Jobs website for central america and/or the caribbean? I appreciate the help.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 8:34 PM
Honored Member

An update from the boys from Panama would be appreciated

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
anybody know of a good construction Jobs website for central america and/or the caribbean? I appreciate the help.
I seriously considered retiring in Panama last year and spent a couple of weeks down there but the weather and language barrier were too much. I do know that getting a job if you're a foreigner is extremely difficult because there is high unemployment among the Panamanians themselves. There were construction sites all over the city but those jobs were done by locals so unless you work for a foreign company that could transfer you there I think you would have to look somewhere else. I honestly don't know the situation in the other surrounding countries but I know about Panama so I'm just passing along some advise. Good luck.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 7:25 PM

Thumbs up Panama has become the key most important city to me..

for highrise buildings. In my opinion it succeeded where N.Y., Dubai, Hong Kong Los Angeles and Chicago failed I almost see Panama as ideally what a chunk of Los Angeles should have looked like-lol. In general the buildings in Panama seem more fluent in their design as well as optimistic and highly elegant they almost seem like sculptures and less of a functioning spacefiller or cold, dead albeit modern building. Looking at Panama one would ask: is everyone elsewhere asleep at the wheel??

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations