HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 4:44 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Nineteenth Century Club Case Bond Posted
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...bond-posted-3/

Quote:
Plaintiffs in the Chancery Court Case seeking to stop planned demolition of the Union Avenue mansion that had been home to the Nineteenth Century Club posted an additional $50,000 bond Thursday, Oct. 31, as they appeal a Chancery Court decision.

The additional bond was ordered by Chancellor Walter Evans at an Oct. 16 hearing that set conditions for the appeal to the Tennessee Court of Appeals.

Evans ruled in September that the club’s leadership acted legally when its leaders decided to sell the mansion to Union Group LLC, the group seeking to demolish the club headquarters and build the retail center with a restaurant as its anchor. Evans also said plans for the demolition could go ahead.

But Evans then stayed the effect of the order pending an appeal by the plaintiffs who contend the decision to sell violated the club’s bylaws.
Quote:
They had worked out a tentative settlement with Union Group in which a Nashville businessman planned to buy the property and preserve the mansion while opening a restaurant in it. Dave Wachtel, however, did not meet the deadline to post $40,000 in earnest money from his investors and the plan fell through.

That’s when the case went back to Evans who set conditions for pursuing the appeal.

Evans set the additional $50,000 bond because while the case is on appeal, most of the money from the sale remains frozen by the court, including most of the money from the sale that was donated by the Nineteenth Century Club to the Children’s Museum of Memphis.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 4:48 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Design Review Board to see Crosstown project
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/b...crosstown.html

Quote:
The Downtown Memphis Commission Design Review Board will hold a hearing regarding the proposed $180 million Sears Crosstown redevelopment project on Nov. 6.
The board will review various design elements, including window replacements and a drive-thru installed near the rear of the building off North Claybrook Street.
Though the Crosstown building is not in the Central Business Improvement District, which is overseen by the Downtown Memphis Commission, it is close enough to qualify for a PILOT from the Center City Revenue Finance Corp.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
I don't know how they would expand it. To the immediate east of the convention center is the Sheraton (formerly Marriott), to the north is 1-40 which is raised in that part of downtown, to the immediate south is the Cannon Center, and to the west is Front Street. The convention center has one section that Front passes under, and across Front there's a vacant lot and then a parking lot, but there's not a ton of space there. I don't know if it could be expanded upwards either depending on structural loading.

There's land to the north in the Pinch District (don't think along the lines of the land that the MCC covers). The majority of undeveloped land sits toward the south of downtown and to the east of the South Main District.

Here's a blog post that Steve Ross wrote earlier today.
http://www.vibincblog.com/?p=11100
Yeah, after looking at some pictures of the convention center, it seem's like expanding upwards would be the only way to go. I don't see how it could be expanded any other way.

The roof appears for the most part to be flat, and seem's like it would be ideal to build on top of. As far as structural loading, couldn't that just be reinforced to support a structure on top?

Also, what are those couple lots directly to the right of the red shaded Marriott expansion, West of the Southern most part of the CC? There is some smaller buildings on those lots and was wondering what they were and if they could be demolished?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 10:56 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRYDI View Post
The roof appears for the most part to be flat, and seem's like it would be ideal to build on top of. As far as structural loading, couldn't that just be reinforced to support a structure on top?
Possibly, but that also depends on the foundation and whether or not it could support the additional stress. In theory the transfer of the stress (while expensive) could more than likely be altered to accommodate more loading.

Quote:
Also, what are those couple lots directly to the right of the red shaded Marriott expansion, West of the Southern most part of the CC? There is some smaller buildings on those lots and was wondering what they were and if they could be demolished?
The lot I think you're talking about is at Exchange and Market. It's currently public parking as well as parking for St. Mary's Catholic Church.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 3:59 AM

I agree with a lot of that blog post and posted ideas here before

A new convention center should be built and located near Beale and the Forum, but I'd include a 55,000 to 62,000 seat stadium. A stadium designed not just for football but for other things. When Atlanta was knocking around proposals, one of the ones that didn't make it had an interesting feature, the sideline stands from the 15 yard line to the end zone retracted and the endzones actually in toward midfield to optimize the stadium for basketball or other events like concerts or even large wrestling/boxing PPVs. It's the first stadium in the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9VCtBPxvdw
It's the second one. It doesn't have to be a retractable roof. This would give the Liberty Bowl a home near the attractions visitors would like to be and the Tigers a shiny new home to recruit to like they use the Forum for. It would host things that demand more room than the forum offers like later rounds of the NCAA tourney that's now going to larger venues other than your standard NBA arena, larger concerts, motocross, monster jams, and convention space whether it's for speaking or exihibition space. I get that Memphis is using the Liberty Bowl to centerpiece a redevelopment of the fairgrounds buy in the end it's still pretty much the same old stadium with suites far removed from the field and low on amenities and for the bowl game, subject to winter weather and removed from the entertainment district Memphis is famous for.

As what to do with the Cook. I've posted before that Memphis should go after what Kansas City has done with the Crowne Center. Chase attractions like a Lego Discovery Center and Sea Life Aquarium. A children's driven live theater even. It would be working to feed off of the traffic that gets pulled in with Bass Pro, often families. I'd go for a Tom and Huck themed water park on the part of the Island between the museum and the bridge. Consider this along with Pinch redevelopment your Family Focused target area. Outdoor ice rink in the winter, movies in the summer and so on. Again, you could take it a step further and go for a greater redo of the island while keeping it's core of the amp, riverwalk and museum with examples I've listed places before like Kemah Boardwalk down on the coast.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 4:44 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

I think expanding the Cook would be a serious waste of money, I also think that the Forum area would be the best location for a new convention center. That would provide a legitimate redevelopment opportunity as well as focusing funneling convention goers into the city's main entertainment district further emphasizing the expansion of Beale, hotel development, and other commercial development. The main problem is the issue of where the funding for it would come from, and like Steve Ross mentioned in his blog, I doubt that it would be done right.

I don't think that building a new domed stadium would be a wise investment though. The one thing that every city that has a domed stadium in which they do host late round NCAA tourney games in has in common is an NFL team. Having a new 60,000 domed stadium is nice for the idea of attracting tournament games, bowl games, monster jam, etc., but without a main tenant in the form of an NFL team it would never pay for itself, and still might not if there was an NFL team to support it.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 6:34 AM

if anyone knows, is the sheraton going to go through an expansion,such as the one proposed for the marriott? i thought that the fellow who wrote the piece on the convetion center, the need for hotels, and the like, expressed himself well, and i agreed w/ most of what he wrote. he indicated in the piece that their were currently two hotels in the works in the immediate future in downtown. last week i reviewed the city master plan, and i also found a directory of hotel expansions, rennovations, and closings. throughout the memphis-shelby county metro, the article showed 11 hotels that were almost finished, 6 or 7 to begin in 2014. the map showed 2 inns/hotels for midtown. they were hyatts, and one was in the downtown medical center, while the other was pinmarked for the university hospital- methodist.

the really interesting thing were the pins placed for a hilton and a hyatt. they were practically on top of each other. the area was the beale street and front area. starting dates for both hotels were listed for early 2014. no pins were marked in the pinch district. as usual, some of the pins didn't make sense, as the map indicated by note that not all brandings were shown on the map.

the master plan for the city shows a development for rentals and some condos, in the area near and under the bridge. developers are already named for some of the projects. the mud island museum has a proposal for several public entertainment works. too, there is some proposal for a midrise office bldg or hotel in or around the area, at the top of the hill. all of the information is pretty confusing, and having a master plan doesn't seem to make many topics or issues any better. in any city, i think that it is hard for the citizens to keep faith on city developments, when there are so many setbacks, lack of follow through, or the plan is described, and the plans end w/ the words such as in 10 to 20 years.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
if anyone knows, is the sheraton going to go through an expansion,such as the one proposed for the marriott? i thought that the fellow who wrote the piece on the convetion center, the need for hotels, and the like, expressed himself well, and i agreed w/ most of what he wrote. he indicated in the piece that their were currently two hotels in the works in the immediate future in downtown. last week i reviewed the city master plan, and i also found a directory of hotel expansions, rennovations, and closings. throughout the memphis-shelby county metro, the article showed 11 hotels that were almost finished, 6 or 7 to begin in 2014. the map showed 2 inns/hotels for midtown. they were hyatts, and one was in the downtown medical center, while the other was pinmarked for the university hospital- methodist.
I haven't heard of Sheraton's expansion plans (if any), but I really wish they'd stop adding on to that building--it's such a dull structure.

I have heard from some reliable sources that the Hilton planned for the Forum area is still trying to secure financing.

That's what I find so frustrating. There's an obvious need for more hotel rooms in the city, specifically near downtown, yet nothing seems to be moving. Can anyone offer some insight into this?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post

the really interesting thing were the pins placed for a hilton and a hyatt. they were practically on top of each other. the area was the beale street and front area. starting dates for both hotels were listed for early 2014. no pins were marked in the pinch district. as usual, some of the pins didn't make sense, as the map indicated by note that not all brandings were shown on the map.

the master plan for the city shows a development for rentals and some condos, in the area near and under the bridge. developers are already named for some of the projects. the mud island museum has a proposal for several public entertainment works. too, there is some proposal for a midrise office bldg or hotel in or around the area, at the top of the hill. all of the information is pretty confusing, and having a master plan doesn't seem to make many topics or issues any better. in any city, i think that it is hard for the citizens to keep faith on city developments, when there are so many setbacks, lack of follow through, or the plan is described, and the plans end w/ the words such as in 10 to 20 years.
San Antonio would be one.

It does have to have 360 degree scoreboards. Between six or seven Tiger games, the Southern Heritage Classic, you can come up with other games. FCS Championship, make a D2 and D3 combo pitch. Bentonville Ark and it's HS stadium is one of three finalist for the D2 championship. You got to lose the it will not be successful cause we don't have a NFL team mindset.

I'd love to see Memphis host conventions like the SHOT show and so on.

Info on Alamo Dome:

The Alamodome is what is known as a “third generation” facility. Its features column-free spans for unobstructed viewing and curtain wall system for configuration flexibility.

With the Alamodome you get the advantage of both a convention center and a dome without the drawbacks of either. The Alamodome is large enough to easily accommodate assemblies and tradeshows. The column-free design makes it unlike other domes in one very important way: it has an intimate, “human” scale.

The Alamodome opened on May 15, 1993 at a cost of approximately $186 million. It is owned and operated by the City of San Antonio.

It is the preferred venue for many trade shows, conventions and concerts such as Monster Jam, Disney on Ice, and the Valero Alamo Bowl. George Strait played a concert in the Alamodome in June of 2013 setting an all time attendance record for the largest concert ever played in San Antonio; the attendance was 73,086 people.

The Alamodome was the home of the NBA World Champion San Antonio Spurs from the years of 1993 to 2002. Additionally, the Valero Alamo Bowl takes place here every year. The Alamodome was awarded the 2001 HOSPY Award for Outstanding Recreational Facility by the Greater San Antonio Hotel and Motel Association.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 6:33 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSRJ View Post
I haven't heard of Sheraton's expansion plans (if any), but I really wish they'd stop adding on to that building--it's such a dull structure.
I agree completely.

Quote:
I have heard from some reliable sources that the Hilton planned for the Forum area is still trying to secure financing.
That's also good to hear.

Quote:
That's what I find so frustrating. There's an obvious need for more hotel rooms in the city, specifically near downtown, yet nothing seems to be moving. Can anyone offer some insight into this?
Your guess is as good as mine. I'm going to assume that developers who generally develop hotels don't think that Downtown Memphis requires as many hotel rooms as we think. Occupancy rate is currently 60%, but the lack of hotel rooms has kept a lot of different events from coming to Memphis.

My next guess is the lack of financial support from the city to various developers.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 6:48 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
San Antonio would be one.

It does have to have 360 degree scoreboards. Between six or seven Tiger games, the Southern Heritage Classic, you can come up with other games. FCS Championship, make a D2 and D3 combo pitch. Bentonville Ark and it's HS stadium is one of three finalist for the D2 championship. You got to lose the it will not be successful cause we don't have a NFL team mindset.

I'd love to see Memphis host conventions like the SHOT show and so on.

Info on Alamo Dome:

The Alamodome is what is known as a “third generation” facility. Its features column-free spans for unobstructed viewing and curtain wall system for configuration flexibility.

With the Alamodome you get the advantage of both a convention center and a dome without the drawbacks of either. The Alamodome is large enough to easily accommodate assemblies and tradeshows. The column-free design makes it unlike other domes in one very important way: it has an intimate, “human” scale.

The Alamodome opened on May 15, 1993 at a cost of approximately $186 million. It is owned and operated by the City of San Antonio.

It is the preferred venue for many trade shows, conventions and concerts such as Monster Jam, Disney on Ice, and the Valero Alamo Bowl. George Strait played a concert in the Alamodome in June of 2013 setting an all time attendance record for the largest concert ever played in San Antonio; the attendance was 73,086 people.

The Alamodome was the home of the NBA World Champion San Antonio Spurs from the years of 1993 to 2002. Additionally, the Valero Alamo Bowl takes place here every year. The Alamodome was awarded the 2001 HOSPY Award for Outstanding Recreational Facility by the Greater San Antonio Hotel and Motel Association.
Memphis football, the SHC, and the Liberty Bowl wouldn't be enough to support at potentially $300Million stadium. Adding some D2 and D3 games would probably cost more money to promote and actually play than they would actually generate.

San Antonio also built the Alamo Dome to attract an NFL team. That's not a goal of Memphis.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 10:05 PM

the royal phoenix group will have used up a two year extension w/in the next 45-60 days. supposedly, the group has the financial backing for the hilton project secured, which was the reason they couldn't get their first application in on time two years ago. i believe that nov. 14, '13 is the date set to submit all documents for final review. we'll see what happens.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 12:28 AM

This article in the CA about connecting the Beale Street entertainment district with Beale Street Landing includes a section about One Beale:

Whither Beale Street? Take it to the river

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...-to-the-river/

Quote:
One Beale, Carlisle Corp. founder Gene Carlisle’s $186 million plan for high-rise luxury hotel, condos and office space, was shelved in 2008 when commercial real estate lending dried up. Formerly occupied by a retail and dining complex called No. 1 Beale Street, it’s vacant and growing weeds behind chain link fences.

Carlisle, founder and chief executive, and his son Chase, manager of real estate, said they’re waiting on conditions to improve to the point that they can roll out a revamped development plan befitting the spectacular site overlooking Beale Street Landing and the river. One Beale will likely wait until their involvement in conversion of the Hotel Chisca apartment project plays out, they said.

The original plan included condominiums, which have no market in the foreseeable future. A hotel was in the mix, but city officials are trying to wrangle a way to finance new convention facilities to draw visitors to fill hotels.

“We work on this project every week,” Gene Carlisle said. “We know what we want to do. The market conditions and the financial markets have to come together to allow us to do that.”

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 1:12 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^Thanks for posting that article.

I'm not by any means trying to go on a political rant, so I'll keep it brief.

Quote:
The original plan included condominiums, which have no market in the foreseeable future. A hotel was in the mix, but city officials are trying to wrangle a way to finance new convention facilities to draw visitors to fill hotels.
I understand that in many situations, especially in smaller cities it takes the city government to step up and create a big development to spur smaller developments and infill, but too many times the case here in Memphis is that developers almost rely on the city to make the first move before they begin to make plans; especially downtown where it hurts the further redevelopment of downtown the most.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 11:21 PM

ark, i agree w/ you completely. in addition, it seems that the same developer names are limited to a few, in such a large city. same developers, same architects, same building patterns. you really can't expect tourism to help anchor downtown or the city proper, if you don't have hotels standing. i'll stop there, although everyone knows there are two mind sets for the city of memphis---downtown supporters and the 240 east corridor.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 4:31 AM

The "Gather on Southern" apartment complex under construction near the University of Memphis has a new website and it looks nice. Included is a new rendering:

Gather on Southern

I'll try and get some pictures of the building the next time I drive by. It's looking good. I'm not a huge fan of the color of the siding--I was hoping it'd be closer to white (as seen in the rendering), but perhaps they haven't painted it yet.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 6:11 AM

Looks like Midtown is about to get a Fresh Market. I mentioned this two months ago (post #1810) about Walgreen's possibly selling the Ike's on Union and Cooper to a non-competitor, and this just confirms those plans.

Fresh Market Eyes Union Avenue Ike's
By Amos Maki
Memphis Daily News

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/news...n-avenue-site/

Quote:
The upscale grocery chain is eyeing the Union Avenue Ike's, which a Walgreen Co. representative confirmed will be shuttered.

Earlier this year, Walgreen closed the gas station at that Ike's, saying it was a "corporate decision to withdraw from the gasoline business."

Several sources have said The Fresh Market would likely lease the property and convert the pharmacy and store into one of its upscale grocery markets.

Officials from The Fresh Market could not immediately be reached for comment.
The article also includes a potential site plan for the converted store:

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Edit...ages/17180.pdf

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 2:36 PM

Saw this in the NBJ this morning. This could be a nice score for Memphis.

Is Memphis trying to woo Archer Daniel Midlands?
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...er-daniel.html

Quote:
Memphis could be trying to entice Archer Daniel Midlands Co. to move its corporate headquarters to the Bluff City, according to The Commercial Appeal.

ADM's corporate headquarters is currently in Decatur, Ill.

ADM operates more than 270 plants and 420 crop procurement facilities worldwide and is one of the largest food processing companies in the world.

In September, ADM announced it was planning a mid 2014 move of its headquarters.

ADM has a current relationship with the city. Memphis-based Stratas Foods was formed in 2008 as a joint venture between ACH Food Companies and Archer Daniels Midland.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIRYDI View Post
Yeah, after looking at some pictures of the convention center, it seem's like expanding upwards would be the only way to go. I don't see how it could be expanded any other way.

Even if they were to add on to the top of the current Cook Center it would not fulfill their needs to compete in the convention market. They not only need more room, they need a new appeal. The one in Nashville is amazing!

What Memphis needs to build is a retractable roof stadium to replace the again Liberty Bowl, and use it as a massive convention center. Kill two birds with one stone and save some cash in the process. San Antonio uses the AlamoDome for conventions, high school and college football as well as baseball even.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 12:31 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsvillenative View Post
Even if they were to add on to the top of the current Cook Center it would not fulfill their needs to compete in the convention market. They not only need more room, they need a new appeal. The one in Nashville is amazing!
I agree with you on this. That's why a redevelopment in the area of the FedEx Forum would probably be the best scenario if the city were to ever cross that bridge.

Quote:
What Memphis needs to build is a retractable roof stadium to replace the again Liberty Bowl, and use it as a massive convention center. Kill two birds with one stone and save some cash in the process. San Antonio uses the AlamoDome for conventions, high school and college football as well as baseball even.
With the renovations and improvements to the Liberty Bowl the city isn't going to replace it anytime soon, especially since it is supposed to serve as the focal piece for the fairgrounds redevelopment. San Antonio built the AlamoDome in attempt to lure an NFL expansion franchise; Memphis isn't in that situation. High school and college football games don't pay the bills for a retractable roof stadium either. That's NFL money.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations