HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Listen up dope, buddy lives in Deadmonton and constantly tells me how crappy the spring and summer has been so far in Alberta!
Deadmonton? Real original there, bud.

I won't deny it's been a wetter and shittier summer than usual—so NOT a typical Alberta summer.

In non-troll related weather:
23 today and more storms; 24, 25, 27 for the rest of the week. All but one of those days has rain in the forecast during the day or at night.

I don't ever remember a summer this wet. It's been almost two months since I last watered my lawn, trees and plants and they are all doing incredibly well. Good for the water bill and plants, I guess.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 2:59 PM

Its cyclical, last few years we have heard Ontario complain about cool summers. Before that it was Manitoba and Sask being to wet and cool. Alberta was in a mild drought. This year south and central Alberta is getting slightly above average rain fall. but the north is still considered dry. Hell even BC is getting a wetter summer in the interior. Good thing is less fires. I prefer temps in the mid 20s. Having lived and competed in Ontario I found that to hot.

Yah its been wet but temp wise it feels warmer here. Hell it hasn't been this lush here in a long while. Plus the lakes in the area are looking full. they had been drying up the last few years. Haven't had to water my lawn this year.

Heard a EC commentator mention June was 150% more rain but was still not in the top ten rainy Junes.

I do remember when I was growing up in Edmonton (Late 60s) there was one summer that it rained so much we were getting mud slides on Groat Rd.( a drive down a raving into the river valley).

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 4:06 PM
ARTchitecture

Yet again another perfect (one might say dope ) Alberta summer day. Already 20 degrees at 10am, heading up to 27 today. Currently mainly sunny, with a low chance of thunderstorms later on.

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 4:27 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

This week's looking more or less normal. Which is perfectly fine with me. I just wish we wouldn't get so many monsoon-like rainstorms.

It's supposed to get up to 23 today, although there's a possibility of showers or thunderstorms later in the day. It's currently about 18-19°C right now (EC's weather info on Edmonton's Blatchford Field is stuck at 9:00 am - and yes, I did just refresh my browser!)

While this summer's been wetter than normal for sure, I don't mind the cooler temps at times - no worrying about sweat-soaked bedding at night unlike in Ontario! Hell, I haven't even used my tower fan by my computer desk so far! All I have to do is just open one or both my sliding doors if I get too warm.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 4:39 PM

I'm leaving for Edmonton on Thursday. As long as it's sunny and over 20, I'll be happy.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 4:52 PM

Today is nice so far, currently 26 humidex 34 and mostly sunny. Feels even a bit warmer than the last couple days because there is no lake breeze.

Yesterday was 29.6 with humidex over 30 overnight and over 40 in the afternoon. Low was 20.4C.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Its cyclical, last few years we have heard Ontario complain about cool summers. Before that it was Manitoba and Sask being to wet and cool. Alberta was in a mild drought. This year south and central Alberta is getting slightly above average rain fall. but the north is still considered dry. Hell even BC is getting a wetter summer in the interior. Good thing is less fires. I prefer temps in the mid 20s. Having lived and competed in Ontario I found that to hot.
What summers are you referring to that people in Ontario would have been complaining? They are always hot and humid like clock work. We have had some shitty springs mind you.

And again, because this is a pet-peeve of mine, even people who think summer is too hot here, we get those cooler, what you think is ideal temperatures, but at different times. When Alberta is dealing with their first frost advisories we will be getting your preferred weather here. Lower humidity, cool nights, and mid 20s temps. Summer will still be going on while Alberta descends into fall. September in Toronto is similar to July in Edmonton and warmer than August.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 5:23 PM

This summer has been the driest I remember in Southeastern Quebec (and northern NH; it is almost threatening to kill the white oaks I planted this spring - I'm not there all the time so they mostly have to take care of themselves).

I wouldn't be complaining about it personally, it's been great for the progress of our jobsite, but it's not ideal for flora.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 5:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

32C with a humidex of 39 in Moncton at 2 PM.

Will we surpass a humidex of 40 today - it's possible...........

My cat is unconscious lying in the shade in the backyard - she refuses to move.........

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe View Post
What summers are you referring to that people in Ontario would have been complaining? They are always hot and humid like clock work. We have had some shitty springs mind you.

And again, because this is a pet-peeve of mine, even people who think summer is too hot here, we get those cooler, what you think is ideal temperatures, but at different times. When Alberta is dealing with their first frost advisories we will be getting your preferred weather here. Lower humidity, cool nights, and mid 20s temps. Summer will still be going on while Alberta descends into fall. September in Toronto is similar to July in Edmonton and warmer than August.
You just have to go back a few years in this thread and look at the comments.

I loved the fall when I lived in TO, did not much like May24 through Sept 1st. But I grew up on the prairies. so the dryer summers are much more pleasant. TO is a lot further south so yah you should have a longer summer like season.

May of this year every on here was complaining how dry it was, then June happened.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Its cyclical, last few years we have heard Ontario complain about cool summers.
2 years ago, Ontario had a quite cool summer (remember the wet Canada 150 celebrations?). The jet stream was right over the province, so it kept the weather much cooler and wetter than usual.

Last year was hot and dry - we had several notable forest fires in the province. I remember it smelling like campfire for a fair chunk of the summer.

This year is not as hot or dry, but it's still a warm summer.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 6:35 PM

27 feels like 34 (dew point 19 RH 59%) at 4pm. Gorgeous if not a little sticky.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
2 years ago, Ontario had a quite cool summer (remember the wet Canada 150 celebrations?). The jet stream was right over the province, so it kept the weather much cooler and wetter than usual.

Last year was hot and dry - we had several notable forest fires in the province. I remember it smelling like campfire for a fair chunk of the summer.

This year is not as hot or dry, but it's still a warm summer.
Yes, 2017 was a shitty summer. I remember being frustrated at how cool it was. I would be freezing in my office and go out to walk around old Gatineau to warm up, but there was a always a chilly breeze and very little humidity. However, that fall ended up being long and warm.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 8:05 PM

Yes the summer of 2017 was pretty bad. Lake Ontario was at then record levels and the beaches in Prince Edward County were a disaster. Too small, the sand was brown and ugly, the shores were too eroded. It was also like that back in May this year but I don't know if things have improved since then. The difference is, we've recovered from our crappy spring this year and the weather turned out to be pretty nice.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 8:09 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

IT IS SO HOT. I don't care ONE BIT after this shit fucking year so far.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 8:17 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Yes, 2017 was a shitty summer. I remember being frustrated at how cool it was.
Out of curiosity I searched through some old posts of mine in this thread from the summer of 2017.

Boy, I sure do complain a lot.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 8:25 PM

The "cool, chilly, pretty bad" summer of 2017 Toronto's avg high Jun-Sep were 25, 27, 25, 24. For comparison, because presumably no one was complaining in Edmonton that year, the avg highs were 22, 25, 24, 18. Let's not even get into the lows.

I guess it is all a matter of what you're used to but Toronto in a shitty year is still summer. Edmonton this year has been more like spring or fall.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe View Post
The "cool, chilly, pretty bad" summer of 2017 Toronto's avg high Jun-Sep were 25, 27, 25, 24. For comparison, because presumably no one was complaining in Edmonton that year, the avg highs were 22, 25, 24, 18.

I guess it is all a matter of what you're used to but Toronto in a shitty year is still summer. Edmonton this year has been more like spring or fall.
Everything south of a line from Sarnia to Toronto is always hot, even in a bad year. It's less consistent in areas north.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 8:32 PM
Registered Drug User

I don't care what the numbers say. Looking at those posts from 2017 reminded me of how miserable I was. It really didn't feel like summer.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Out of curiosity I searched through some old posts of mine in this thread from the summer of 2017.

Boy, I sure do complain a lot.
I probably complained a lot too. I moved back south that fall.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada