HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 9:28 PM
Registered Drug User

I experienced a legitimate 50 degrees in Turkey once. Got in a crowded bus at Marmaris after crossing from Rhodes, and I actually thought I was going to pass out because of how weak the AC was. But then I was revived at the first rest stop in the hills where it was a comparatively alpine 25 degrees, the chill air cool and refreshing in a way I've never experienced before or since.

But yeah, life pretty much shuts down during the daytime when it's 50 degrees.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 9:34 PM

Many warm places get plenty of rain, including southern Ontario. Drought conditions are rare, since hot, humid weather brings thunderstorms.

I was in California a couple years ago at the height of the drought, and it was still pretty lush on the coastal side of the mountains. I think the high desert is always dry as a bone, but heading down into San Bernardino was quite a sight after driving through the desert. So lush and green.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiedawg View Post
Calgary had only a handful of days with above 30 temps this year I think

Edmonton got their's in May.

Where are you, are you in the arctic or Northern SK? I didn't know anywhere in SK was getting frost every day.

I've been checking the weather most mornings lately to see if any risk of freezing since i have tomatoes i planted late and wanted to get as much as I can from them, so far so good.
I can't tell you what the actual temp was but I am based out of Stony Rapids SK and let me tell you my truck, house, and garden have all felt the sting of frost at least 7 times since I came up (2 week rotation). It is supposed to be 1 degree tonight. Had to pull the ice scraper out, which is always a depressing time of year. However I am soon going home where it will seem tropical in comparison.

I go more northerly (NWT) frequently, but don't spend much time there.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:16 AM
Go Preds!

19C and sunny today.

Chilly low of 9C. We've consistently been a degree or 2 below average. It's time for the pattern to flip.

The warmspot was Collingwood, ON at 27.1C.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:56 AM
Suburbs Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
120 consecutive days of anything is depressing. Even if there were 120 consecutive days of cloud-free, wind-free 22C days, most lawns would look like baked potatoes and most cities would be blanketed by dust and smog.

I prefer the heat to the cold, but there is a threshold above a certain temperature where things can get very unpleasant, very quickly. For everyone it’s different and for me it’s a humid 30 or a dry 35.

I would rather have a day of -20 than +40. I don’t think people realize what +40 is in the Canadian context; it is a record high temperature in the hottest parts of the country. In most Canadian cities a temperature of +40 would result in a few dozen deaths.
During most summers somewhere in the BC interior hits 40C but the death toll is zero.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
During most summers somewhere in the BC interior hits 40C but the death toll is zero.
Most Canadians don’t live in the interior of BC. Most Canadians live in Southern Ontario and Quebec where there are old prewar homes with tiny rooms and poor air circulation subdivided into cheap apartments and where summers are humid.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 10:44 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Cold.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 11:39 AM

Looks like some potential first frosts in the Maritimes today.

Super cold morning there. Fredericton dipped below freezing, Charlettetown had an hourly reading of 0.1 and even the Halifax airport was down to 2.

Also looks like this September will end quite a bit below seasonal for BC.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 11:40 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Both Moncton and Freddy fell under the freeze list bus last night. Very premature IMHO. The temperature in Moncton on the weekend is supposed to be 27C.

I will try to update the list this evening.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 1:23 PM

We're now in late September, there are lots of places in Canada with an average first frost around now. The average first freeze for southern Ontario is around mid-October, which is coming right up.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 1:32 PM

I am not surprised to see cities added to the freeze list in the second half of September, which I think is normal. However I am a bit surprised that it happened in the Maritimes before other parts of Central Canada and the Prairies.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 2:18 PM

warm and sunny again for the next few days. Drove to the Sask/Alberta , Onion Lake, boarder area yesterday. Trees are changing colour and the Harvest is ramping up.

Beautiful day for a drive even with the early morning low level fog.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:22 PM
ARTchitecture

It’s 10 degrees as of 9 am, but there’s a definite nip in the air, and I don’t mean my tits. Feels almost too cold even for me to be wearing just a tshirt to school. Fall is falling.

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Looks like some potential first frosts in the Maritimes today.

Super cold morning there. Fredericton dipped below freezing, Charlettetown had an hourly reading of 0.1 and even the Halifax airport was down to 2.
There are some weather patterns there that occasionally cause really low overnight temperatures. I think one factor might be (sometimes very powerful, like Dorian) low pressure systems that track too far south/east and pull down dry, cold air from Quebec and Labrador. It's almost always perfectly clear when this happens.

This is also how you see -15 or below in the Maritimes in January. If the storm track is out in the Atlantic, Atlantic Canada gets cold weather. If it's hitting NB/Quebec, NS gets rain or warm clear conditions.

Shearwater (YAW) got down to 5.6 and Halifax Dockyard got down to 6.2, so not really a frost event in the city. The low tomorrow for YHZ is supposed to be +15.

The "perfect storm" for getting frost in NB is right around now and in most of NS it's in a couple weeks, when this cold weather pattern just brings things below 0.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 5:30 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's an article with some weather and construction crossover, a story on what the Queen's Marque developer in Halifax is doing to make the development more resistant to future storms: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...mind-1.5279947

It has underground parking and some underground areas that are designed to be sealed off in the event of high water levels, plus electrical work that's resilient to flooding and generators on the roof.

One simple thing that happened a lot to the boardwalk is that the boards were nailed or screwed down and they got lifted up by waves that crashed upward. The Queen's Marque portion of wooden boardwalk is actually just built onto a concrete slab, and the whole area is 1 meter above the original elevation.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 5:57 PM

Sunny and 25C here today feeling like 27 with humidity. A great stretch of weather. Up to 28C feeling like 31 tomorrow and Saturday with more sun

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 6:03 PM
Suburbs Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Most Canadians don’t live in the interior of BC. Most Canadians live in Southern Ontario and Quebec where there are old prewar homes with tiny rooms and poor air circulation subdivided into cheap apartments and where summers are humid.
Wow that sounds horrible! Is that why so many people died last year??

#HumiDeath
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 6:56 PM
is watching.

15 to 17 and mostly cloudy in Victoria just before noon. Sun was shining earlier. Forecast calls for a high of 17 with mostly cloudy skies.

Yesterday turned out beautiful - sun came out and we had highs of 19 (Airport); 19 (UVic) and 20 (Langford). Nice late summer day

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 7:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Freeze List - 2019

1) - Whitehorse YT - September 9th, (-0.3C)
2) - Iqaluit NU - September 13th, (-0.1C)
3) - Saint John NB - September 18th (-0.7C)
4) - Moncton NB - September 19th (-0.3C)
5) - Fredericton NB - September 19th (-0.2C)

Yellowknife NT
Vancouver BC
Victoria BC
Kamloops BC
Kelowna BC
Prince George BC
Calgary AB
Edmonton AB
Lethbridge AB
Regina SK
Saskatoon SK
Winnipeg MB
Thunder Bay ON
Sudbury ON
Windsor ON
London ON
Toronto ON
Kingston ON
Ottawa ON
Montreal QC
Quebec City QC
Sherbrooke QC
Charlottetown PE
Halifax NS
Sydney NS
Corner Brook NL
St. John's NL

Pretty sad to see all the NB cities added before Yellowknife or Prince George.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 8:42 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It warmed up thankfully.

But it was still cold enough to make me crave fish and chips lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada