HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1 View Post
Manitoba is about to get their team. They show 10K for their AHL games

Hamilton only gets 2500 for their AHL games. Yet some people claim this is a hockey market|?
Keep in mind The Moose & Bombers are the only Pro Sports Teams for many, many KMs!

Comparing Manitoba to Hamilton is comparing Apples to Oranges. We live in such a rich entertainment region w/ so many options (TiCats, Bulldogs, Leafs, Raptors, Blue Jays, Marlies, TFC, Rock). That doesn't include the swath of Concerts/Shows we get w/in the GTA. Yet, we only have so much money to spend.. We can't attend EVERY event!

Congrats on finally getting your team! Luckily, you're far enough from Toronto to avoid their Veto!

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 1:46 PM

Winnipeg doesn't have a team yet! If we've learned anything with the NHL, don't count your chickens... etc. etc.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 2:17 PM

Lets not forget there are a lot of Leaf fans around here that have no interest in supporting a Hab farm team.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 11:11 PM

As already stated, you can't judge Hamilton's support for an NHL team by looking at their AHL support. Toronto's lack of support for the Marlies is a shining example of that flawed logic. The funny thing is Hamilton has a much smaller population and has to support someone else's farm team (Montreal), while Toronto has a much larger population with the same amount of support for their own farm team.

As many times as I've felt a swift kick to the nuts every time Hamilton gets denied an NHL team in the last 30 years, I'm still rooting for Winnipeg (and Quebec) to get their teams.

EDIT: forgot to add... the NHL can kiss my ass.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
Sorry but I myself wouldn't go across the street to watch minor league hockey. It's either the NHL or nothing. I'd rather go watch junior hockey than the AHL. The AHL is a few young guys honing their skills to play in the NHL and a whole lot of guys who will never play in the NHL.

With 2 NHL teams within an hours drive why would anyone go to a minor league game. The Marlies attendance in Toronto sucks too and yet the Leafs sell out every game. In Winnipeg on the other hand they don't have much to choose from, it's either go to a Moose game or nothing. We have choices they don't have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
There are two NHL teams within 100km of Hamilton. The closest NHL team to Winnipeg is about 700km away.

http://theahl.com/stats/schedule.php...e&season_id=34

Sure, Hamilton doesn't have great attendance, but consider that a Marly's game has an average of 4,694, and the Dogs averaged 4,257. Hamilton is doing alright, considering the size of the cities.

EDIT - Anyone going to the game tonight?
True. But if we want this to show up, we should make the effort to suuport the team.

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis1 View Post
True. But if we want this to show up, we should make the effort to suuport the team.
While it would be nice, increased support for the Hamilton Bulldogs would do zero to bring an NHL team closer to the city.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 4:10 AM

And there we go. Winnipeg 1 Hamilton 0.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 7:14 AM

I think it had less to do with a competition between cities than it did the people trying to buy them.

Plus lets hope a new winnipeg team does well (good for itself and for the league) - if it does - I think it strengthens the business case for Hamilton (way) down the road.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 11:29 AM

I think Bettman has been laying the groundwork for face-saving in relocations with his recent talking points about Quebec City and Winnipeg. He's already established these cities and likely benefactors for any cash-strapped teams requiring relocation. The Balsillie fiasco has all but ruined any chance of Hamilton being considered as a relocation site while Bettman remains at the helm. There's likely a decade in the NHL desert before Hamilton reaches the promised land.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 3:48 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
I think Bettman has been laying the groundwork for face-saving in relocations with his recent talking points about Quebec City and Winnipeg. He's already established these cities and likely benefactors for any cash-strapped teams requiring relocation. The Balsillie fiasco has all but ruined any chance of Hamilton being considered as a relocation site while Bettman remains at the helm. There's likely a decade in the NHL desert before Hamilton reaches the promised land.
There was never any chance that we would get a team. As long as the Leafs and Sabres exercise their veto's we will be out of luck. It had nothing to do with Jim Balsillie.

Aside from that we would need a new arena, since Copps is obsolete by todays NHL standards.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Aside from that we would need a new arena, since Copps is obsolete by todays NHL standards.
Amazing how quickly these pro sports facilities become obsolete. I wonder if these ever-evolving standards would continue to soar to new heights if the NHL paid for their facilities?

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 12:46 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
Amazing how quickly these pro sports facilities become obsolete. I wonder if these ever-evolving standards would continue to soar to new heights if the NHL paid for their facilities?
Some teams do pay for their facilities, others don't. In the NHL, I would say most own their own buildings or play in privately owned facilities, but I may be wrong.

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 3:19 AM

My prediction...Winnipeg will get the Atlanta Thrashers and the Manitoba Moose will got to St. John's NFLD.

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 3:23 AM

Quote:
There was never any chance that we would get a team. As long as the Leafs and Sabres exercise their veto's we will be out of luck. It had nothing to do with Jim Balsillie.

Agreed on both counts.

Old Posted May 22, 2011, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
My prediction...Winnipeg will get the Atlanta Thrashers and the Manitoba Moose will got to St. John's NFLD.
St. John's used to have the Maple Leafs, right? I'm pretty sure the first hockey game I saw was the Hamilton Canucks vs. the St. John's Maple Leafs.

Old Posted May 23, 2011, 4:18 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
St. John's used to have the Maple Leafs, right? I'm pretty sure the first hockey game I saw was the Hamilton Canucks vs. the St. John's Maple Leafs.
AHL teams move all the time and affiliations change from year to year. I remember when the Leafs had their farm team in St Catherines and then in Newmarket, and that was before they moved to St. John's.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 1:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 6:18 PM

Chipman mentioned the Winnipeg AHL in the presser

Hamilton still has nothing but a crappy CFL team and a crappy tax deal to go with it.

Last edited by dennis1; May 31, 2011 at 6:29 PM.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 10:25 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Jun 1, 2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Ugh. Let's not get our hopes up again. I'm just going to go ahead thinking that any talk about an NHL team in Hamilton is nothing more than a pipe dream.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation