HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 6:41 AM
Concerned Citizen

Any group that applies for an expansion franchise would have to be brain dead considering they are asking $500 million for the new franchises. That $500 million is more than the majority of the current franchises are worth. Considering there are 5 or 6 teams currently on very thin ice it would be better to wait and buy one of them and move it.

As for Hamilton, First Ontario is outdated and would require a couple hundred million to bring it up to current standards. So any chance of us getting a franchise would probably hinge on the city putting out that money, and the chances of that happening are slim to none.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 10:20 AM

^The league would probably request a new arena be built. Anyway, it's not happening...ever!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 12:54 PM

NHL to Hamilton has been dead since Bettman showed Balsille whose boss over 5 years ago.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 11:59 PM

^I think all that did was ensure the Balsillie will never be associated with the NHL, like, ever.

I'd say Hamilton's been dead since that round of expansion BS back in 1990 (or whenever that was) when Ottawa ended up with a team over Hamilton. That ownership group - led by Joyce - had money and an arena and still couldn't manage it. Ottawa, of course, had neither...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 4:01 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I'd say Hamilton's been dead since that round of expansion BS back in 1990 (or whenever that was) when Ottawa ended up with a team over Hamilton. That ownership group - led by Joyce - had money and an arena and still couldn't manage it. Ottawa, of course, had neither...
Yep. The financial shenanigans were at play for the franchise granted to Tampa as well.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 1:01 PM

Plus Phil Esposito stated at the time that at the last minute the Leafs opposed a team in Hamilton - and then they were dropped.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
^I think all that did was ensure the Balsillie will never be associated with the NHL, like, ever.

Marvin Ryder a professor at McMaster was Joyce's business advisor in that deal. He shared with me how the negotiations went down.

Essentially the NHL wouldn't give Joyce a firm expansion dollar number. They wanted him to right a blank cheque. While he said tell me the number and I'll write it down on the cheque. And it went back and forth back and forth until Joyce said screw it these guys are effing with me.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
So any chance of us getting a franchise would probably hinge on the city putting out that money, and the chances of that happening are slim to none.
I think our municipal government is probably stupid enough to do this, actually. But there are many reasons why it won't happen, so they likely won't get a chance.

By the way, though I'm not really a hockey fan and have relatively little knowledge about the sport, I'm officially predicting that the Stanley Cup goes to Las Vegas before it comes back to Canada.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Marvin Ryder a professor at McMaster was Joyce's business advisor in that deal. He shared with me how the negotiations went down.

Essentially the NHL wouldn't give Joyce a firm expansion dollar number. They wanted him to right a blank cheque. While he said tell me the number and I'll write it down on the cheque. And it went back and forth back and forth until Joyce said screw it these guys are effing with me.
Interesting!

If a team had landed in Hamilton at that time, I seriously question whether it would still be in the city today. Quebec and Winnipeg moved on. Edmonton and Calgary were very much touch-and-go. Even Montreal was in rough shape during that period. I wonder...

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 2:28 PM

oops. meant to say "write" not "right"

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 7:40 PM

Just for s**ts & giggles!

Low attendance at Winnipeg Jets games 'not going to work over the long haul,' chairman says

Mark Chipman says he's personally called former season ticket holders to return

The Canadian Press · Posted: Feb 23, 2024

Winnipeg Jets chairman Mark Chipman says the NHL team's future could be in jeopardy if attendance doesn't improve.

In an interview with The Athletic, Chipman said the Jets need to get back to a season ticket base of 13,000, and current attendance numbers are "not going to work over the long haul."

The Jets are struggling to draw fans to Canada Life Centre, the NHL's smallest permanent arena with a capacity of 15,225 for hockey games.

Despite icing a competitive team led by star goaltender Connor Hellebuyck, the Jets have the second-lowest average attendance at 13,098. Only the Arizona Coyotes, who are temporarily playing at 4,600-seat Mullett Arena in Tempe, draw fewer fans.

According to the article by The Athletic, Winnipeg's season-ticket base has decreased 27 per cent in three years from approximately 13,000 to just under 9,500.

Chipman said in the article that he has been personally calling lapsed season ticket subscribers to ask them to return.

The current incarnation of the Jets has played since the Atlanta Thrashers relocated to Manitoba's capital in 2011.

The original Jets played in the NHL from 1979 to 1996 before moving to Phoenix.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...view-1.7123843

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 9:15 PM

So what you are telling me is that we should be good to go for the 2025/26 season as a host location for the Jets. Maybe we can share them with Winnipeg and Quebec City.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 3:50 AM

The Coyotes will move to Salt Lake City and in a couple years, the Jets will move to Arizona (again).

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 6:14 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
So what you are telling me is that we should be good to go for the 2025/26 season as a host location for the Jets. Maybe we can share them with Winnipeg and Quebec City.
We'll even let any team use its former city name, given the precedent set by the Toronto Rock.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation