HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
  • Hunt Club isn't on anyone's radar. It isn't particularly pedestrian friendly, so it is a bit of a non-starter.
The 96 seems to lack utility. Anyone else wonder why they don't combine the 96 and the 83? That would be a useful route for me personally.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Not if there was a fence across the middle of the street. That would stop it immediately. Isn't there one there already except at the crosswalk?
If there was a fence all the way across, people would be pissed, and some would climb over (faster than getting to find the underground path, and probably still faster than the underground path even if one knew exactly where it is, especially if you're trying to catch your bus).

For example, there used to be a fence all the way across, between the stops for going in the opposite direction at Baseline Station. A gap was made in the middle of the fence so that people could cross more easily, instead of having to walk around at the end of the fence.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 9:55 PM

Carling BRT/LRT will be a part of the TMP review in the next term of City Council. It was mentioned a few months ago in City Council.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
The 96 seems to lack utility. Anyone else wonder why they don't combine the 96 and the 83? That would be a useful route for me personally.
The old 116 was useful; it has suffered the death of 1000 cuts and the result is today's 96.

The 96 should run from Baseline to Greenboro, at a 30 minute minimum frequency, all day. Today it is mostly hourly.

I remember suggesting back in 2011 (when the cuts happened) that those routes should be combined. The reason they were not is that residents along Woodfield/Medhurst wanted a connection to Merviale Mall.

The 96 really should be extended back to Baseline. They seem to be doing almost anything to avoid it, including creating a new route 186 from Lincoln Fields to Merivale/Slack. That is exactly what the old 116 used to do.

If you are trying to get from, say, Barrhaven to the Antares/Auriga business park, good luck: it is at least 2 transfers.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
The old 116 was useful; it has suffered the death of 1000 cuts and the result is today's 96.

The 96 should run from Baseline to Greenboro, at a 30 minute minimum frequency, all day. Today it is mostly hourly.

I remember suggesting back in 2011 (when the cuts happened) that those routes should be combined. The reason they were not is that residents along Woodfield/Medhurst wanted a connection to Merviale Mall.

The 96 really should be extended back to Baseline. They seem to be doing almost anything to avoid it, including creating a new route 186 from Lincoln Fields to Merivale/Slack. That is exactly what the old 116 used to do.

If you are trying to get from, say, Barrhaven to the Antares/Auriga business park, good luck: it is at least 2 transfers.
The 96 and 83 start / end at the same location, so I wonder if they couldn't just combine the routes without changing any of the routing (i.e the 96 would just turn around at Viewmount and then continue on its way). It would be a bit weird and roundabout, but at least it would still connect Baseline and Greenboro again without a transfer.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I can hardly wait until Phase 4 to south Orleans when they have to cut service to north Orleans. That will go over very well after years of waiting only a few minutes for a train from Blair to Trim.
I think that in the eastbound direction, half of all trains short short-turn at Blair. Have trains from Baseline continue to Trim but Bayshore trains turn back at Blair. Otherwise, frequencies into Orleans are arguably too high, creating this exact problem going forward. Also it will be kind of unfair for Orleans residents to have double the frequency that Kanata and Barrhaven residents do.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityTech View Post
I think that in the eastbound direction, half of all trains short short-turn at Blair. Have trains from Baseline continue to Trim but Bayshore trains turn back at Blair. Otherwise, frequencies into Orleans are arguably too high, creating this exact problem going forward. Also it will be kind of unfair for Orleans residents to have double the frequency that Kanata and Barrhaven residents do.
Meh. People get too wrapped up in being fair without looking at the bigger picture. Orleans has higher transit usage than either Barrhaven or Kanata, and it is closer to central Ottawa, so I don't see fairness as being a valid objection.

A better reason (during peak periods at least) is to boost capacity from the stations inside the greenbelt without the expense of running all trains out to Trim Rd. I see it as a 3-way rotation with trains running to Blair, Place d'Orleans and Trim. In the west I gather the plan is to have a similar rotation with trains running to Lincoln Fields, Baseline and Moodie.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:47 PM

Quote:
The 96 and 83 start / end at the same location, so I wonder if they couldn't just combine the routes without changing any of the routing (i.e the 96 would just turn around at Viewmount and then continue on its way). It would be a bit weird and roundabout, but at least it would still connect Baseline and Greenboro again without a transfer.
But that would just make too much sense and would go against OC Transpo's strategy of shortening routes to the point of being useless.

Seriously though, it is a good idea. They have similar frequencies (the 83 seems to run a bit more often than the 96, but they could always split some of the runs if needed). The 83 is about 15-20 min end to end and the 96 is closer to 30 minutes, so combined it could likely be under 45 minutes after cutting out the overlap. Certainly a reasonable length.

My only concern is that having buses to both destinations running in both directions along Merivale between Viewmount and Woodfield could be confusing (you would have to check the destination and not just the number).

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:19 PM

Quote:
But that would just make too much sense and would go against OC Transpo's strategy of shortening routes to the point of being useless.

Seriously though, it is a good idea. They have similar frequencies (the 83 seems to run a bit more often than the 96, but they could always split some of the runs if needed). The 83 is about 15-20 min end to end and the 96 is closer to 30 minutes, so combined it could likely be under 45 minutes after cutting out the overlap. Certainly a reasonable length.

My only concern is that having buses to both destinations running in both directions along Merivale between Viewmount and Woodfield could be confusing (you would have to check the destination and not just the number).
I would suggest it to OC Transpo but I'm not sure they have ever read any of the comments I've submitted to their website... Eh, maybe I will just for the hell of it.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Meh. People get too wrapped up in being fair without looking at the bigger picture. Orleans has higher transit usage than either Barrhaven or Kanata, and it is closer to central Ottawa, so I don't see fairness as being a valid objection.

A better reason (during peak periods at least) is to boost capacity from the stations inside the greenbelt without the expense of running all trains out to Trim Rd. I see it as a 3-way rotation with trains running to Blair, Place d'Orleans and Trim. In the west I gather the plan is to have a similar rotation with trains running to Lincoln Fields, Baseline and Moodie.
The distance from Bank/Slater to Trim is only 800m shorter compared to Bank/Slater to Barrhaven Centre according to google. Transit usage may be higher but actual distance shouldn't be a major factor.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:41 PM

Quote:
I would suggest it to OC Transpo but I'm not sure they have ever read any of the comments I've submitted to their website... Eh, maybe I will just for the hell of it.
From my experience, writing to your counsellor is more effective. He/she will likely forward it to Transpo, but they will respond if you go that route. If you don't like the answer, you can ask him/her to go to bat for you.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:53 PM

Quote:
In an ideal world yes but this would really negatively impact the reliability of the current 83. The 96 gets stuck in a lot of traffic crossing the Hunt Club Bridge.

The recent construction along Prince of Wales was a missed opportunity to provide a queue jump lane for buses approaching the bridge. There were modifications made but they did not include creating a queue jump which would have been quite easy to do.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H>T&T>P View Post
The distance from Bank/Slater to Trim is only 800m shorter compared to Bank/Slater to Barrhaven Centre according to google. Transit usage may be higher but actual distance shouldn't be a major factor.
Trim is the eastern most edge of Orleans. Barrhaven Centre is the centre of Barrhaven, so not an apples to apples comparison.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation