HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 3:01 PM

^ Thanks for that. As noted in the article, the timing of the completion of the Masonic Temple's renovations was unfortunate, coming just before the pandemic. But that said, I am surprised at how intractable the Masonic Temple's situation has been.

I thought for sure when the NHL came back that would lead to the redevelopment of that building with all of the F&B spending in the immediate area of the arena. But here we are a decade later, and still nothing.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
Nice little write-up on this project in the Globe today:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/inve...new-leases-on/

The article also contains some details on the Masonic Temple redevelopment. Nothing too interesting, sounds like they're struggling to find a tenant. Unfortunate but also given the type of building it is, it kind of makes sense.
That building has been empty for 10 years.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 4:58 PM

They've been renovating for 10 years, apparently.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 6:27 PM

You can still view the facade at street level. Not sure what all the complaining was about.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 7:08 PM

^ Yes, it sure beats the alternative. Things reached the point where I didn't think the Pumphouse would ever get renovated.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 8:33 PM

Looking good.

The cross bracing kills me. On this one and the fall over building on Princess. Just beef up the columns a bit in the lower portion.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 9:12 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Looking good.

The cross bracing kills me. On this one and the fall over building on Princess. Just beef up the columns a bit in the lower portion.
Cross bracing is cheaper.

To x-brace or not is ultimately an owner decision.

And at least the stuff on Princess is square tube structural steel, not that turn-buckle-rigid-pre-eng-frame-warehouse crap front and centre at the pumphouse.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 10:49 PM

Yeah it kills the openness of the space underneath

Old Posted Dec 23, 2021, 10:56 PM

I get the need for the x-brace. My limited schooling in structural at RRC taught me a bit. But it looks like shit haha

In that princess one, it's right out the front windows! I know you probably had a hand in that one and structural needs, etc.

The Pumphouse will soon be covered in orange flagging, paint, or whatever it is because people will walk into it.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2021, 4:27 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I get the need for the x-brace. My limited schooling in structural at RRC taught me a bit. But it looks like shit haha

In that princess one, it's right out the front windows! I know you probably had a hand in that one and structural needs, etc.

The Pumphouse will soon be covered in orange flagging, paint, or whatever it is because people will walk into it.
I think the Princess bracing is OK. Its symmetrical and fits in the character of the building and area (industrial).

That building was a relatively unique one, as the stairshafts and elevator core were not concrete or block above grade. This means it relies almost exclusively on X-bracing for stability.

The upsizing in steel to avoid those front wall x-braces was significant, and would have reduced interior space to cover everything over.

And back to the pumphouse that bracing almost appears temporary - but given the Architect involved, I am sure it's on purpose to serve as some sort of "look".

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan