HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
The need to put a VASA gym. Not a high end gym. Heck even Planet Fitness. But they need a reason for people to go there. These gyms have people coming and going at all hours. No, they aren’t generating the foot traffic many retail landlords had hoped for at other malls around the country, but the gateway isn’t trying to remain a traditional mall. I would go. It’s closer to me than the bountiful Vasa or the Brickyard Vasa. Planet fitness has a sweet gym on 400s. May be I just want to go to the gym. Lol.
Barnes and Noble is staying but will relocate to a different location in the Mall.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 8:40 PM

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 8:44 PM

I think the Gateway can succeed as a cultural and entertainment district. There's a new, more eclectic coffee shop moving into the former Starbucks location, and of course, Dave & Busters is opening soon.
The Gateway will also be hosting this years Great Salt Lake Fringe Festival, which used to be sugarhouse but is not longer viable there.
And though it hasn't been officially announced yet, I know that Wasatch Theatre Company is moving to the Gateway from the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 6:32 AM
One Thing At A Time

A decent sports bar that close to where the Jazz play would be pretty awesome!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
When was Gateway developed?
It opened in 2001 iirc. That, TRAX, and the Grand America Hotel I think were the big developments that were developed for the Olympics. I was young so I'm probably missing something else.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
It opened in 2001 iirc. That, TRAX, and the Grand America Hotel I think were the big developments that were developed for the Olympics. I was young so I'm probably missing something else.
Yeah. Now that I think about it, I was still in high school. Wow.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 4:22 PM
They all float down here

The Gateway opened in November, 2001.

Salt Lake is not large enough to support two downtown malls. We knew this when Gateway opened. We knew this when City Creek was built. Nothing has changed. When Gateway opened, the discussion was that it'd hurt Main Street business and drive traffic away from Crossroads and ZCMI. What do you know, it did just that. Those malls essentially died and forced the LDS Church into radically redeveloping the area. Because City Creek was centrally located, and offered something new, it then became clear Gateway would be negatively impacted. And, what do you know? It has.

It's unfortunate because Gateway was supposed to act as a catalyst to a massive redevelopment effort on the downtown's west side. And while there's been some development, overall, western downtown is still plagued by the same problems that impacted it in the 90s. They're only compounded by the Gateway's failures.

I've advocated for an entertainment district there, especially with the arena, but I am not sure if there's enough viable options to make it a success - or the right kind of laws.

The big indicator, IMO, is going to be Dave & Busters. We really need them to succeed there. If they fail, I think so will the hope of an entertainment district there. D&B will be opening May 14th.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 8:54 PM

A tool y'all might enjoy playing with: Streetmix. Lets you build hypothetical street designs.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 1:45 AM
Let It Rise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
A tool y'all might enjoy playing with: Streetmix. Lets you build hypothetical street designs.
hahaha I've been playing with this all day.

https://streetmix.net/-/666049

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Last edited by ctobsl; Apr 7, 2018 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
I think the Gateway can succeed as a cultural and entertainment district. There's a new, more eclectic coffee shop moving into the former Starbucks location, and of course, Dave & Busters is opening soon.
The Gateway will also be hosting this years Great Salt Lake Fringe Festival, which used to be sugarhouse but is not longer viable there.
And though it hasn't been officially announced yet, I know that Wasatch Theatre Company is moving to the Gateway from the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center.
I hadn't realized that this Dave and Busters was this big. This will be another good catalyst for Gateway, along with the many other adjustments that are suppose to begin taking place this year. We've all known that it was going to take time and patience to turn it around, but I agree with you Scott. I think it's only a matter of time before Gateway becomes a success story once again. Its growing success will occur right along with the continued growth of the West side of Downtown.

Dave & Buster’s to hire more than 250 for new S.L. location

Deseret News - Published: April 2, 2018 1:56 pm https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-location.html

SALT LAKE CITY — Dave & Buster’s, a restaurant and entertainment complex scheduled to open at The Gateway in May, is looking to fill more than 250 positions.

Job openings include servers, bartenders, hosts, line cooks, game techs and more.

The company offers a comprehensive benefits package for a number of positions, including medical, dental, vision and a 401(k).

Interested candidates should complete an online application at daveandbusters/careers... https://www.daveandbusters.com/careers

Last edited by delts145; Jun 16, 2018 at 11:00 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 7:49 PM

Gateway would be a perfect location for a grocery store. There's thousands and thousands of apartments around there (most new) and the nearest grocery store is Harmons all the way off State Street.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 7:59 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobsl View Post
hahaha I've been playing with this all day.

I approve.

My only change is to make the outside lane 11' (reduce the parklet to 7'). The reason why is a semi truck can be 9.5 feet wide, but that does not count the mirrors. Add 6" per side for mirrors and you get 10.5 feet. The transit space and parklet can be used to turn lanes at busier intersections, but quickly close back in to make a nice pleasant human space in the middle of the block.

Here's my counter offer, lol:

This is a fun web site. Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 9:43 PM

State and 100 South NE corner by Harmon's

While walking back from lunch we saw a work crew in the " Harmon's Park" on the NE corner of State and 100 South.

They had what appeared to be a drilling rig and a pile of pipes about 7' long and 4" in diameter. Their truck had a logo for Something Engineering Laboratories. Could this be a site investigation needed as pre-construction work?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 10:22 PM

^^^^^^
Ask them, if you see them on site again.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 12:33 AM

I bet you anything this is for the next project that City Creek will be doing...was this site Tower 8? The question is will it be an office tower or a residential tower?? Maybe now that 151 State is no longer going to be office, Tower 8 will soon rise as an office building. Probably about 20 stories.

Last edited by Orlando; Apr 7, 2018 at 7:00 AM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 5:00 AM

Imagine a tower at the Harmons park and 151 State going up at the same time.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
Imagine a tower at the Harmons park and 151 State going up at the same time.
I am hoping for Harmon's Park, 151 and 255 all happening at once. 3 cranes on State would be amazing.

Regent Hotel is also planned to happen during the same time.

Other projects 10 stories and up that should take place at the same time:

Held
Patrinely
Ritchie Phase 1 Hotel
Ritchie Phase 1 Residential

From all counts, all of these projects are planned to be under construction by the end of the year in 1 phase or another and all would have cranes up in early 2019.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I am hoping for Harmon's Park, 151 and 255 all happening at once. 3 cranes on State would be amazing.

Regent Hotel is also planned to happen during the same time.

Other projects 10 stories and up that should take place at the same time:

Held
Patrinely
Ritchie Phase 1 Hotel
Ritchie Phase 1 Residential

From all counts, all of these projects are planned to be under construction by the end of the year in 1 phase or another and all would have cranes up in early 2019.
I thought I heard someone on here a couple of months ago say the Regent tower was in trouble because they couldn’t get enough investors. It seems like that might be accurate because I thought they were going to move dirt in the spring.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 6:25 PM
Ironweed

Met last night with a good friend who is a member of the state legislature, and a member of the minority party.

I asked about the fiasco regarding the inland port. My freind confirmed that the mayor, staff, and agencies are morons, or full of shit shovelers. ������

Not encouraging if you like growth in downtown.

Last edited by Ironweed; Apr 7, 2018 at 9:19 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 7:07 PM

I'm curious Ironweed. Do you know what your friends opinion was of Ralph Becker? Myself, I liked Becker. Maybe not perfect, but he seemed to be a lot better at pulling the opposing views together.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West