HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

OneEleven in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 1:39 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
I don't know that you need to go as far as nyc to give ideas of how to improve the facade, but what is involved in "firring out" (question for anyone here) ? Does concrete need to be poured to extend the slabs, or if it's only like say 12 inches at the corners, can steel extensions be bolted on, or something?
At this stage, it would probably be cheaper to fabricate the curtain wall panels such that they form a flat facade on the outside. That means the frame for each glass unit would be slightly wedge-shaped to deny the curve.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
what is involved in "firring out" (question for anyone here) ? Does concrete need to be poured to extend the slabs, or if it's only like say 12 inches at the corners, can steel extensions be bolted on, or something?
Like ardecila said, the difference would be made up in the curtain wall system.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 5:22 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Boston has a couple. Not quite that extreme, maybe, but here's a photo I took a year ago. I think the one in the foreground is the Bank of America building and the one in the background is the Fiduciary Trust, but I could be mistaken:

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 7:22 PM

Meh, all of the examples you guys have shown of other cantilevered buildings are pretty cool, but I still like this concept better. It looks far more dramatic (and almost darnright unsafe) to have it right in the middle of the building.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 8:43 PM
Content provider

I think it's pretty cool and a good solution

in the base, weren't they above the parking levels and into the hotel? Maybe they can still get a user?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2011, 8:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcchii View Post
I think it's pretty cool and a good solution

in the base, weren't they above the parking levels and into the hotel? Maybe they can still get a user?
Yes, they are quite a ways into the "hotel portion" and I think they might have completed all the hotel floors as well. If I recall correctly the hotel ended at the setback.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 5:59 PM

I love the cantilever and I like the upper portion above. The lower section could use some work. Since most of it is parking I would like to see a perforated metal screen used to cover it similar to the one on EnVy. This metal screen should then have sections that stick out at varying depths to relate better to the upper portion. Since it is parking it doesen't need to have an airtight curtainwall sealing, and needs ventilation and air circulation.

I don't know how this news will affect this project:

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....skyline/#start
CityscapesA DAILY CHICAGO JOURNAL ABOUT THE BUILDINGS
AND URBAN SPACES THAT SHAPE OUR LIVES
BY BLAIR KAMIN | E-mail | About | RSSNovember 01, 2011
DeStefano Partners splitting in two, a partner of the firm says; building bust hurt, and firm also blaming Public Building Commission
At its peak during the boom years, the Chicago architectural firm now known as DeStefano Partners had 150 employees and worked with star architect Santiago Calatrava on the skyscraper that was the predecessor to the Chicago Spire. Its own designs included such high-profile office buildings as One South Dearborn, home of the law firm Sidley Austin LLP...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 8:38 PM
New Yorker for life

The lower portion does fit nicely with the streetwall...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 8:41 PM

Love the way that the "temporary" condo sign is still up in the rendering.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 9:22 PM
BANNED

Good point NY Guy, that just makes me like this design more. It's following the old 1920's setback code in a completely twisted way.

I have to say this is one of the few buildings where my prefered residence would not be the top floor. I'd want the NE corner on the first floor after the cantilever. It would be thrilling to know you are constantly hovering above the city with almost nothing below you and a whole lot of something bearing down on top of you.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2011, 9:32 PM

That's almost poetic nowhereman.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 3:36 PM
BANNED

^^^ Haha, sorry, I can't help but wax poetic about such a beautiful thing as Chicago. I'm literally in love with the place. I was walking around in the West Loop the other day as the sun was setting looking at the reflections off the buildings and felt for a moment that feeling one gets when they are in love with another person, except it was Chicago. I am thoroughly obsessed.

Also, at the risk of being lame, I am so excited about this proposal. I can't wait for it to be built. I'm more excited about this proposal than I was the first time I saw the Chicago Spire or the Ritz tower. If built, this will be just another design that exists nowhere else in the world. There will be no buildings that look similar. I fully expect that, if it looks anything like this rendering when complete, that it will be iconic like Marina City or Aqua or Hancock when complete.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 7:34 PM

Put my in the "love it" camp. Really pulling for this to go up. With this location on the river, it would be an instant Chicago icon. I bet a lot of "rich guy in a penthouse" movie scenes would take place on the last floor below the cantilever.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 9:24 PM

Same here. Hated it when I first saw it, but now I think it is genius. Uniquely Chicago.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2011, 9:58 PM

I think it's a really interesting design, love it!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 12:16 AM

Absolutely love it, and definitely prefer it over the original design. With the drastic change in design midway through, my instant thought was a vertical Monadnock. (It's also a bit reminiscent of the Hearst Tower in NYC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280
The contrast would be jarring, perhaps even upsetting to the eye, but would show exactly the history of the building.....In any case this building may turn out to be the ultimate tribute to the history of skyscrapers and Chicago by forever cementing a reminder of the boom-bust nature of real estate into our skyline.
Agreed on every point. Like seeing misshapen rings on a tree trunk, one could similarly see the effects of a given economic climate at a specific point in time in Chicago's history.

Is there any chance that the deck created by the cantilever would be developed into something open to the public, like a restaurant/rooftop bar/event space? If developed right, it could be KILLER, and reinforce the iconic/destination status of the building. Otherwise, if it is just open to the few hundred building dwellers, I'd never get to check it out for myself!!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 5:58 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
^^^ Haha, sorry, I can't help but wax poetic about such a beautiful thing as Chicago. I'm literally in love with the place. I was walking around in the West Loop the other day as the sun was setting looking at the reflections off the buildings and felt for a moment that feeling one gets when they are in love with another person, except it was Chicago. I am thoroughly obsessed.

Also, at the risk of being lame, I am so excited about this proposal. I can't wait for it to be built. I'm more excited about this proposal than I was the first time I saw the Chicago Spire or the Ritz tower. If built, this will be just another design that exists nowhere else in the world. There will be no buildings that look similar. I fully expect that, if it looks anything like this rendering when complete, that it will be iconic like Marina City or Aqua or Hancock when complete.
I'm loving the beauty of that image from the West Loop..I remember it well. Thank you for reminding me what an amazing city Chicago is, but goddamn you for making me miss it there so much again.

I also agree with your last statement. This is a city where designs are unique and unparalleled. This design fits that truth, and then some. It surely will be iconic, and it'll add to one of the most brilliant canyons of skyscrapers in the world.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 4:11 PM

It would be cool, if the narrow part of the building was taller.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2011, 9:52 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
I'm not sure if this is the final design or not (by DeStefano and Partners).

^ Three reasons why this design needs to be built:

1. It maintains the Wacker streetwall while creating a visual focal point
2. It will make money! Those units will rent like hotcakes!
3. Something much deeper: Chicago's cityscape, with all of its emphasis on clean lines (minimalism--while groundbreaking in 1962, is getting a bit old on me) and this new abundance of beige neohistoricism, really needs something that will break the mold, be a bit spunky and different, and just say "fuck you" to the city around it. In other words, Chicago needs to say "fuck you" to itself. All great cities periodically need to stop patting themselves on the back, and instead engage in a little bit of masochism--and this ridiculous chimera of a building truly will achieve that, especially being on such a prominent river site. Some projects like the Spertus Institute or Aqua, or Marina City take gentle little steps in such a direction, but they don't go far enough. Now this last point is a bit existential, but I think the city needs something like this.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2011, 4:28 PM
Marina City

^^^ Cool, It will be like that cantaleaver is not only the point where the building changes on the way up. but also where Chicago did too. I am excited to see it. Even if it does look like a tree being cut down by a lumberjack or a beaver.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive