HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 12:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The plans for that convention center hotel were scrapped after the convention center expasion was basically canceled (a much smaller version of the expansion has been underway). However, one of the towers planned for the eastern half of the yards, directly accross the "maze" from the office towes is a hotel/residential tower.

https://content.related.com/Lists/In...002.9.2011.pdf

Here's that generic rendering of a hotel...

Beautiful!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 11:53 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I'm not bitching, i'm expressing my opinion. You're the one with all the hostility. From your responses you seem to be getting a false sense of my posts. The internet is not a good communication medium for emotions.

I am calmly expressing my opinions on an opinion forum and you are engaging in hostile, almost arrogant language.
Actually, I've read your posts, and you are bordering on spamming with your hysterical questioning and repeated comments. Expressing your opinion is fine. We don't need you to remind us of it two minutes later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
If the nimbies didn't help reduce the FAR, what did?
The NIMBYs didn't put the Hudson Yards zoning in place.

Quote:
The fact that you say that without FAR restrictions that it is a "fact" that no tower would ever reach 2000ft is hilarious. Are you a seer now? Do you know the future state of the NYC economy and the perceptions 20 years from now? Oh, and i never said it would have to be an office only tower.
And you are showing even more ignorance on the subject than suspected, so we'll leave it at that.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2011, 12:42 PM
New Yorker for life

That hotel location is shown just south of the Extell site below. The railyard development will include 2, possibly 3 commercial towers on the eastern half, with one commercial tower reserved for the western side.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 1:13 PM
New Yorker for life

There's a rendering in the NY Post today, but it's the same as the one we've already seen, so I won't scan it...

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...NtfQfbOgbgsLjM

Quote:
Steve Cuozzo
March 22, 2011

This new rendering of Phase 1 of Hudson Yards — 26 acres between 30th and 33rd streets — shows Related’s plans for a “superblock” of office and retail space (center), with a southernmost condo tower. Most of this phase will be built between 10th and 11th avenues. The developer projects a completion date of 2017.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 10:10 PM
BROOKLYN

German Engineering Meets Eataly at the Hudson Yards Mall
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/0...yards_mall.php

Quote:
Related just updated its Hudson Yards website with some new looks at Phase I of the megaproject, which includes three towers on the eastern portion of the site and a five-story retail atrium. Archpaper executive editor Julie Iovine is kind of freaking out about the retail component (above) because it's being designed by German engineer Werner Sobek. Guess we should pretend like we've heard of the guy. She writes: "The developers envision the retail as a Time Warner Center meets Eataly kind of place. And Sobek, engineer designer of airports, bridges and assorted “widespans” as well as membranes in glass, metal and fabric is well up to the task with a tectonic shell that any trapeze artist could fall for." Check out the view of Hudson Yards Part 1 from New Jersey:

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 10:27 PM
BANNED

Can anyone estimate how tall the south tower is? Looks around 800 feet or so?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 5:07 AM
New Yorker for life

From the original post...

Quote:
This 800-foot-plus tower would sit on firm ground, while the rest of the site requires an expensive roof to first be built over the tracks.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 5:28 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Wow. These towers a exceptionally awful. Not PanAm building bad, that tower is in a league of its own, but really disappointing given their size. Still, it could be worse. Organic architecture can take "awful" to a level that's difficult for traditional buildings to achieve. An ill-concieved turd that looks like an actual turd is worse than what we're getting here.

Still...one can hope for one more design revision. They haven't bid out for steel yet.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 7:46 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
Wow. These towers a exceptionally awful. Not PanAm building bad, that tower is in a league of its own, but really disappointing given their size. Still, it could be worse. Organic architecture can take "awful" to a level that's difficult for traditional buildings to achieve. An ill-concieved turd that looks like an actual turd is worse than what we're getting here.

Still...one can hope for one more design revision. They haven't bid out for steel yet.
THIS. 100% agree.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 10:06 PM

Smile

Same indication about the height of these towers (I hope that NYguy or RobertWalpole can help me if the indication is right). If the tower with the arrow is tall 150 ft... the higher tower will be 1250-1255 ft tall (with the spire).

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/imag...f6b331775f.jpg

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 4:30 AM
New Yorker for life

^ It can be tricky trying to base height judged on renderings, but its in that range.

http://www.cityrealty.com/new-york-c...-horsley/39962

Related posts new renderings and information on its Hudson Yards project

March 23, 2011
By Carter B. Horsley

Quote:

The Related Cos. have posted a Hudson Yards website with new renderings and details of its planned huge redevelopment of the midtown rail yards near the Hudson River.

The first phase of the development consists of three towers at the east end of the mutli-block site surrounding a low-rise, glass-enclosed, multi-level retail structure with an off-set domed roof.

Archpaper.com notes that the central retail structure is being designed by Werner Sobek and states that "the developers envision the retail as a Time Warner Center meets Eataly kind of place," adding that "Sobek, engineer designer of airports, bridges and assorted 'widespans' as well as membranes in glass, metal and fabric is well up to the task with a tectonic shell that any trapeze artist could fall for," an apparent reference to the "net" aspects of the retail structure rendering.

The Hudson Yards website notes that "The $2.1 billion subway extension is fully funded and under construction. Crews working today are simultaneous boring and constructing the tunnels underneath city streets while they are also building the new station at the 34th Street and 11th Avenue that will be at the front door to Hudson Yards. The project is on budget and on schedule. The transit system testing will begin in 2013 and a grand opening is scheduled for January 2014, at least a year before the first phase of Hudson Yards is opened."

"The cutting-edge design for the station, fully advanced and climate controlled is indicative," it continued, "of New York City's new focus on state-of-the-art rail transportation and quality public space. The new No. 7 station entrances will be built within the new four-acres open space of the Hudson Park and Boulevard, similar to the gracious entry for the Jubilee Line at Canary Wharf. The station and trains will be the most modern in NYC Transit, and the first new expansion of the system in over half a century."

The website said that the project is "future proofed with the most sustainable infrastructure above and below."

"On-site natural gas-fired tri-generation plants could provide commercial buildings with up to 100 percent redundant power, at a lower cost and carbon output to peak grid power. Efficiencies over twice that of utility plants are achieved by powering HVAC equipment with the system's waste energy. During off hours, excess power generation and HVAC capacity will serve neighboring residential and hotel properties."

"Planning and infrastructure will provide individual buildings and tenants with 'economies of scale' benefits, including centralized waste collection via underground vacuum tubes, centralized vehicle security and coordinated loading dock access....Water prices have increased well over 10 percent year on year for the last three years, a trend that is expected to continue. Meanwhile, Manhattan's combined sewage system results in direct sewage outflow to the Hudson River during major rain events. To manage both of these issues, Hudson Yards will use nearly 100 percent of the rainwater that lands on the site and isn't absorbed by park and green roof terrace landscaping for mechanical cooling, toilet flushing and irrigation."

The website offers a downloadable 50-page brochure that includes information on the project's utility services trench grid and massing diagrams illustrating the completion of buildings on the site in four phases beginning in 2017 and ending in 2025.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 5:16 AM
New Yorker for life

_

Phase 2

Phase 3

Final build-out

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 25, 2011 at 5:30 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 6:59 AM

It would be nice if the buildings proposed for the biggest future project in Manhattan weren't so God damned ugly. Seriously, this is a major what the hell. I don't care about the height, but these buildings take "ugly glass wall" and mix it with "random flying boxes of crap". Result? Hideous ugly glass wall made worse by random abstract geometric shapes on top. With no order, rhyme, or rhythm whatsoever. So frustrated about this!!!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 10:52 AM
TL;DR

I think they're pretty cool. They're well-proportioned and they seem to have elegantly-designed cladding systems (although the left one could be tweaked a bit).

On top of that, they're sort of a commentary on the traditional glass-box office building, like Louisville's Museum Plaza.

Sobek designed the glassworks for the recent renovation at O'Hare. I haven't seen any of his other work, but the O'Hare project is excellent.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 11:00 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
It would be nice if the buildings proposed for the biggest future project in Manhattan weren't so God damned ugly. Seriously, this is a major what the hell.
I can only imagine that this is what people thought when the original World Trade Center was revealed. But if you want to think of this project in terms if being the largest future project in Manhattan, then you can't judge it base on this fraction alone. There's far more to the railyard development than these towers (as shown above) and far more still to be built in Hudson Yards, many of which we already do know about.

I belive the design could be better. But I don't think its the worst thing that could be built either. I think of it as Rockefeller Center meets Time Warner Center meets Empire State Plaza (Albany). But put into context with what will be built around it, this mini complex isn't all that bad.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 12:26 PM
BANNED

The hotels and residentials will be the saving grace for this project. Ross said that he's leasing the office towers at cost (e.g., around $70/sf) in order to attract tenants and get this project moving.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 3:13 PM
BANNED

After seeing these new renderings i've changed my mind.

Why does related seem incapable of building anything that doesn't resemble a box or series of boxes placed on top of each other? They must be some of the most conservative developers in the world.

The towers have nothing going for them, they are not even exceptionally tall. They avoided building tall and instead built 3 fat bulky towers that have no grace or soar at all. Instead of going for something modern, they went retro. NY needs new innovative buildings, not throwbacks to the 70's.

The tallest tower seems to attempt to give the appearance of being a true super tall by using an absurdly tall spire to reach its height. What a failure.

The cladding looks like the old WTC with its metal fins and small windows, 1970's crap.

Overall major disappointment, other than the parks and retail section.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 3:14 PM

How exactly did they get 'the flamingo', to be at the center of the drop of point?

Oh and one not so bad thing, it appears the tower on the right sits above the high line spur, which you can see in the bottom right corner is kept. That might be an interesting area.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I can only imagine that this is what people thought when the original World Trade Center was revealed. But if you want to think of this project in terms if being the largest future project in Manhattan, then you can't judge it base on this fraction alone. There's far more to the railyard development than these towers (as shown above) and far more still to be built in Hudson Yards, many of which we already do know about.

I belive the design could be better. But I don't think its the worst thing that could be built either. I think of it as Rockefeller Center meets Time Warner Center meets Empire State Plaza (Albany). But put into context with what will be built around it, this mini complex isn't all that bad.

Any project that draws comparisons to the original WTC should be looked at critically from the get-go; while we may remember them fondly, they were monstrosities and were only accepted after people had to look at them for 20+ years. The unfortunate thing is this project, despite its size, lacks the ambition that made the WTC so distinctive; instead of sheer monstrosity, it's simply ugly overall.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 4:36 PM
BANNED

I agree, the WTC were pretty ugly. I can't imagine why they are going retro here. Isn't this supposed to be the 'future' neighborhood of NYC? Where's the innovation?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive