HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 24, 2005, 6:27 AM

How long will this boom last?

In Uptown, it's back to the office
Lincoln seeks tenants for area's biggest tower since 1999

10:50 PM CDT on Monday, May 23, 2005

By STEVE BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

So far, the Uptown building boom has focused on residential and retail.

But that may soon change.

Developer Lincoln Property Co. is seeking tenants for the biggest office tower to be built in the area in more than a decade. Lincoln's building will have 400,000 square feet of space in 20 stories.

The site is on McKinney Avenue, a couple of blocks from the Crescent complex.

Officials with Lincoln Property could not be reached for details about the timing of the development. But the Dallas-based commercial builder is sending out brochures to prospective tenants and has put up a sign on the site at McKinney and Harwood Street.

The last big office tower built along McKinney was 2100 McKinney, which opened in 1999 across from the Dallas Federal Reserve Bank. That tower has 360,000 square feet of office space on 18 floors.

The office vacancy rate in Uptown and Turtle Creek is about 12 percent, which is less than half the citywide number.

"Supply presently is tight," said Jon Altschuler, managing director of Stream Realty Partners. "While demand currently is not exceptionally deep, there are several tenants floating around of size that could certainly serve as the impetus to jump-start a new development."

Plus, most brokers expect that Lincoln Property would move its own offices from the Lincoln Plaza skyscraper on Akard Street to the new building.

"I think the market is ripe for one or two new buildings in the Uptown area," and Lincoln is likely to build, said Joel Pustmueller of Peloton Real Estate. "There are only a handful of office development sites left, so overbuilding isn't likely this time around."

Architect HKS Inc. designed Lincoln's building, real estate brokers say.

"They've designed a really nice property, and they're an exceptional developer of office space," Mr. Altschuler said. "If anyone could make it work, you'd think it would be Lincoln."

There are a few other Uptown office projects in the works.

Harwood International plans to begin construction this year on a 23-story, 273,000-square-foot glass-and-metal tower at the corner of Harry Hines Boulevard and Moody Street.

The developer has been working on the project since early last year.

Ross Perot Jr.'s Hillwood development firm also plans to start construction this year on its 45-story One Victory Plaza tower, which will have 300,000 square feet of office space.

And CarrAmerica Realty Corp. has been working with Dallas-based Rosewood Corp. on a multi-tenant office building that would be constructed on Pearl Street near Cedar Springs Road.

"The market can get overbuilt very quickly, and since this is Dallas, you'd have to bet that it most likely will," said Mr. Altschuler.

E-mail stevebrown@dallasnews.com

Old Posted May 24, 2005, 6:27 AM

How long will this boom last?

In Uptown, it's back to the office
Lincoln seeks tenants for area's biggest tower since 1999

10:50 PM CDT on Monday, May 23, 2005

So far, the Uptown building boom has focused on residential and retail.

But that may soon change.

Developer Lincoln Property Co. is seeking tenants for the biggest office tower to be built in the area in more than a decade. Lincoln's building will have 400,000 square feet of space in 20 stories.

The site is on McKinney Avenue, a couple of blocks from the Crescent complex.

Officials with Lincoln Property could not be reached for details about the timing of the development. But the Dallas-based commercial builder is sending out brochures to prospective tenants and has put up a sign on the site at McKinney and Harwood Street.

The last big office tower built along McKinney was 2100 McKinney, which opened in 1999 across from the Dallas Federal Reserve Bank. That tower has 360,000 square feet of office space on 18 floors.

The office vacancy rate in Uptown and Turtle Creek is about 12 percent, which is less than half the citywide number.

"Supply presently is tight," said Jon Altschuler, managing director of Stream Realty Partners. "While demand currently is not exceptionally deep, there are several tenants floating around of size that could certainly serve as the impetus to jump-start a new development."

Plus, most brokers expect that Lincoln Property would move its own offices from the Lincoln Plaza skyscraper on Akard Street to the new building.

"I think the market is ripe for one or two new buildings in the Uptown area," and Lincoln is likely to build, said Joel Pustmueller of Peloton Real Estate. "There are only a handful of office development sites left, so overbuilding isn't likely this time around."

Architect HKS Inc. designed Lincoln's building, real estate brokers say.

"They've designed a really nice property, and they're an exceptional developer of office space," Mr. Altschuler said. "If anyone could make it work, you'd think it would be Lincoln."

There are a few other Uptown office projects in the works.

Harwood International plans to begin construction this year on a 23-story, 273,000-square-foot glass-and-metal tower at the corner of Harry Hines Boulevard and Moody Street.

The developer has been working on the project since early last year.

Ross Perot Jr.'s Hillwood development firm also plans to start construction this year on its 45-story One Victory Plaza tower, which will have 300,000 square feet of office space.

And CarrAmerica Realty Corp. has been working with Dallas-based Rosewood Corp. on a multi-tenant office building that would be constructed on Pearl Street near Cedar Springs Road.

"The market can get overbuilt very quickly, and since this is Dallas, you'd have to bet that it most likely will," said Mr. Altschuler.

Old Posted May 24, 2005, 9:26 PM
H-town Baller

Damn. Dallas and Houston are growing like weeds. I wonder if there are long lists like this for places like Phoenix, Atlanta and Seattle as well?

Old Posted May 24, 2005, 9:26 PM
H-town Baller

Damn. Dallas and Houston are growing like weeds. I wonder if there are long lists like this for places like Phoenix, Atlanta and Seattle as well?

Old Posted May 24, 2005, 9:43 PM

Just from looking at Atlanta posts, they have a ton going on. Probably third in the sunbelt after Miami and L.A. for urban type projects. Their threads on here and SSC do a great job of illustrating this. I think Dallas is catching up or maybe has surpassed them. Hard to believe there are 50 towers approved, planned, u/c or under renovation in Dallas proper alone. There are even many more townhomes, lower level condos, TOD, large urban retail etc projects going on in Dallas proper. This doesn't even mention the huge number of urban type projects going on in Fort Worth and the suburbs. 2 urban style downtowns were just announced yesterday alone.

I believe there are Phoenix and Seattle threads in the construction and projects forum.

Old Posted May 24, 2005, 9:43 PM

Just from looking at Atlanta posts, they have a ton going on. Probably third in the sunbelt after Miami and L.A. for urban type projects. Their threads on here and SSC do a great job of illustrating this. I think Dallas is catching up or maybe has surpassed them. Hard to believe there are 50 towers approved, planned, u/c or under renovation in Dallas proper alone. There are even many more townhomes, lower level condos, TOD, large urban retail etc projects going on in Dallas proper. This doesn't even mention the huge number of urban type projects going on in Fort Worth and the suburbs. 2 urban style downtowns were just announced yesterday alone.

I believe there are Phoenix and Seattle threads in the construction and projects forum.

Old Posted May 25, 2005, 2:38 AM
Sea™/Ciudad™

Location: Dallas.TX Previously:Seattle/San Diego/Chicago/New London/Portsmouth
Yeah, there's a lot of wonderful action in Houston, Dallas, and other cities. I think all the threads mentioned above have lists. Actually, now that I think about it - I may need to reverify the Seattle thread(s.)

I updated the list over the past couple of days with not only the last 2 projects announced, but, some other ones I had missed or wasn't sure about until scouring the Dallascad.org and city hall minutes/agenda sites of several area cities aside from just Dallas.

It's a bitch keeping track of all this stuff from my perch in Chicago.

Like I said before, I'll try to aid in also updating all the Fort Worth action and other fun upstate stuff as soon as I get a break from new announcements and my own work. Speaking of news and such, I think the Ritz is officially breaking ground tonight and turning dirt/placing heavy equipment on site tomorrow. So there's yet another delay in covering other things as this is a big deal as well. ; )

Old Posted May 25, 2005, 2:38 AM
Sea™/Ciudad™

Yeah, there's a lot of wonderful action in Houston, Dallas, and other cities. I think all the threads mentioned above have lists. Actually, now that I think about it - I may need to reverify the Seattle thread(s.)

I updated the list over the past couple of days with not only the last 2 projects announced, but, some other ones I had missed or wasn't sure about until scouring the Dallascad.org and city hall minutes/agenda sites of several area cities aside from just Dallas.

It's a bitch keeping track of all this stuff from my perch in Chicago.

Like I said before, I'll try to aid in also updating all the Fort Worth action and other fun upstate stuff as soon as I get a break from new announcements and my own work. Speaking of news and such, I think the Ritz is officially breaking ground tonight and turning dirt/placing heavy equipment on site tomorrow. So there's yet another delay in covering other things as this is a big deal as well. ; )

Old Posted May 26, 2005, 1:56 PM

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....e404383a.html

Construction starts on the Ritz-Carlton
At $200 million, tower is investment firm's priciest project

11:07 PM CDT on Wednesday, May 25, 2005

The almost $200 million Ritz-Carlton hotel and condo tower is the most expensive project Crescent Real Estate Equities has ever built.

Officials with the Fort Worth-based investment firm kicked off construction Wednesday – more than a year after the deal was announced.

Courtesy Image
The Ritz-Carlton hotel and condo tower. "It always takes a little longer to get these things started than you'd like," said Ken Rehmann, the Ritz-Carlton Hotel Co.'s executive vice president of operations and chief financial officer. "This will be the only Ritz-Carlton in Texas."

The 21-story tower is set to open in the fall of 2007 at the corner of McKinney Avenue and Pearl Street in Uptown.

The Ritz-Carlton Dallas, and the Residences at the Ritz-Carlton will have 217 hotel rooms and 70 luxury condominiums in a classical-style building designed by architect Robert Stern.

The hotel rooms, a restaurant, meeting space, and a spa and fitness center will take up the first eight floors of the building.

The condominiums are on the upper floors and were originally priced from $800,000. The units still for sale range from $1.3 million for a two-bedroom to more than $6 million for a four-bedroom penthouse, Crescent says.

Manhattan Construction Co. is the project's general contractor.

Crescent president Denny Alberts said the only project his company's ever done that's close to this in cost is a $120 million office tower in downtown Houston.

Crescent is planning more construction in Uptown.

"That's phase two," said Mr. Alberts, pointing to the vacant corner of Pearl and Cedar Springs Road. "I would bet it will be more condos."

Crescent amassed most of its property portfolio through acquisitions, but it's looking more and more at construction, said chairman John Goff.

"We are working on two office deals right now in Southern California," he said. "We can develop in certain markets at a price less than we could buy it across the street."

Old Posted May 26, 2005, 1:56 PM

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....e404383a.html

At $200 million, tower is investment firm's priciest project

11:07 PM CDT on Wednesday, May 25, 2005

The almost $200 million Ritz-Carlton hotel and condo tower is the most expensive project Crescent Real Estate Equities has ever built.

Officials with the Fort Worth-based investment firm kicked off construction Wednesday – more than a year after the deal was announced.

Courtesy Image
The Ritz-Carlton hotel and condo tower. "It always takes a little longer to get these things started than you'd like," said Ken Rehmann, the Ritz-Carlton Hotel Co.'s executive vice president of operations and chief financial officer. "This will be the only Ritz-Carlton in Texas."

The 21-story tower is set to open in the fall of 2007 at the corner of McKinney Avenue and Pearl Street in Uptown.

The Ritz-Carlton Dallas, and the Residences at the Ritz-Carlton will have 217 hotel rooms and 70 luxury condominiums in a classical-style building designed by architect Robert Stern.

The hotel rooms, a restaurant, meeting space, and a spa and fitness center will take up the first eight floors of the building.

The condominiums are on the upper floors and were originally priced from $800,000. The units still for sale range from $1.3 million for a two-bedroom to more than $6 million for a four-bedroom penthouse, Crescent says.

Manhattan Construction Co. is the project's general contractor.

Crescent president Denny Alberts said the only project his company's ever done that's close to this in cost is a $120 million office tower in downtown Houston.

Crescent is planning more construction in Uptown.

"That's phase two," said Mr. Alberts, pointing to the vacant corner of Pearl and Cedar Springs Road. "I would bet it will be more condos."

Crescent amassed most of its property portfolio through acquisitions, but it's looking more and more at construction, said chairman John Goff.

"We are working on two office deals right now in Southern California," he said. "We can develop in certain markets at a price less than we could buy it across the street."

Old Posted May 27, 2005, 12:28 AM
Sea™/Ciudad™

26May05 u/c update photos of the W Hotel & Residences

By Tnekster at the DFWU Forum:

Old Posted May 27, 2005, 12:28 AM
Sea™/Ciudad™

26May05 u/c update photos of the W Hotel & Residences

By Tnekster at the DFWU Forum:

Old Posted May 27, 2005, 12:34 AM
Sea™/Ciudad™

Other stuff:

The action at the 'The Terraces' site at Victory Park:

The action over at West Village:

Demolition action in preparation for City Lights project:

Old Posted May 27, 2005, 12:34 AM
Sea™/Ciudad™

Other stuff:

The action at the 'The Terraces' site at Victory Park:

The action over at West Village:

Demolition action in preparation for City Lights project:

Old Posted May 27, 2005, 12:46 AM
Sea™/Ciudad™

Photos above and again below still by Tnekster...

Signage on the St. Ann Court site.
In the International Center, basically adjacent to Victory Park.

Downtown's One Arts Plaza (7-Eleven Hdqtrs.) siting:

Action at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel & Residences site:

Old Posted May 27, 2005, 12:46 AM
Sea™/Ciudad™

Photos above and again below still by Tnekster...

Signage on the St. Ann Court site.
In the International Center, basically adjacent to Victory Park.

Downtown's One Arts Plaza (7-Eleven Hdqtrs.) siting:

Action at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel & Residences site:

Old Posted May 27, 2005, 12:52 AM
Sea™/Ciudad™

1217 Main St. renovation update

That Cascades Restaurant building:

The owner says over at the DFWU forum that he and his group changed the prospective name to "LuQa and the Petrus Lounge" after a few months of discussion.

Old Posted May 27, 2005, 12:52 AM
Sea™/Ciudad™

1217 Main St. renovation update

That Cascades Restaurant building:

The owner says over at the DFWU forum that he and his group changed the prospective name to "LuQa and the Petrus Lounge" after a few months of discussion.

Old Posted May 27, 2005, 5:18 AM

Don't forget the two projects going on at the West Village

Old Posted May 27, 2005, 5:18 AM

Don't forget the two projects going on at the West Village

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations