HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 8:20 AM

I'd be thrilled to see him in a Jays' uniform. The question is what AA's gonna have to do to get him. I'm sure more than a few teams are knocking at the Cubs' door.

From reading a few articles recently, it would seem that Dempster is likely to stay in the NL...at this point in his career he pretty much dictates where he plays. Perhaps the Dodgers will take a run at him.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 8:31 AM

Kyle Drabek status

It's been a bit of a back and forth regarding his injury but it would appear Drabek's gonna have Tommy John surgery. We won't see him again this year or perhaps ever I would think.

Litsch and McGowan are still AWOL. Will we ever see them take the mound again? The McGowan situation is a bit ridiculous at this point.

The Jays, like most organisations, don't have a tonne of good arms at their disposal. A couple decent pitchers at LV and one or two at AA. They've three great pitching prospects at Lansing (MID-A): Aaron Sanchez (19); Noah Syndergaard (19) and Justin Nicolino (20) but they're a couple years away at least.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 8:42 AM

sp- Jeremy Guthrie to the Jays?

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/story/?id=398645

I had to refresh my memory of this guy when his named popped up in this article. He's having a really poor season but his career numbers aren't too bad.

07 BAL 7-5 3.70
08 BAL 10-12 3.63
09 BAL 10-17 5.04
10 BAL 11-14 3.83
11 BAL 9-17 4.33
12 COL 3-6 7.02

The asking price seems pretty low perhaps because he's making $8.2M this season and is a free agent at the end of the year. Anyway, I say go for it...easy for me to say.

p.s. Alvarez has been pitching poorly of late. Tightness in the elbow anybody?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 10:17 AM

What a brutal way to lose a ballgame.. That's just bad luck right there.

Great batting by Lawrie, Encarnacion and Bautista though, that Encarnacion homer was to space.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 11:16 AM

^463 feet. That's the 8th longest HR this season. He's had a couple others over 440 ft too.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 12:56 PM

It was gutting to lose that way, but overall the team played well. There's good signs that the Jays will get at least one win at the Brewers.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
^463 feet. That's the 8th longest HR this season. He's had a couple others over 440 ft too.
Link? The ESPN tracker has it at 440 feet.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2012, 1:17 PM

I think I got that number from the ESPN highlights...I can't really remember.

Yeah, I just checked ESPN ~ 440 ft.

TSN says it was 463 feet. http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=398697

Last edited by Dr Awesomesauce; Jun 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 3:37 AM
Beefeater

Lots of fireworks tonight. Hope everyone get a chance to see it.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 9:49 AM

Rasmus and Bautista and Edwin, oh my!

Wow, they go back-to-back-to-back, then the same three almost do it again! What an exciting game to win!

With that game, Bautista moves into the 2nd spot in the MLB for home runs, 1 out of the lead, and 4th in RBIs with 52. That slump at the beginning of the season is loooonnnggg gone!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 1:18 PM

I missed it. Total bummer.

An impressive display of power. I don't care what Bautista hits as long as that power continues. Wow!

Was Chavez as bad as his line would suggest? 80 pitches in 2.2 innings?? Yikes. And Coello only managed one out. I hope the pitching staff survives this rough patch.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 5:40 AM

Pitcher David Pauley claimed by the Jays via waivers. http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=398815

9-19 4.51 (20 GS)

Carreno got lit up real good tonight.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 1:24 PM

A good move by the Jays as a stop-gap cover. We've not had to give up any great prospects or the likes of Lawrie/Rasmus etc to get a pitcher with major league experience and can do a job. He's not the long term future, but will help for the time being.

I read on other forums Jays 'fans' complaining that AA hasn't got a starting ace already. It makes me wonder if these folks actually understand the game and trades?! There's no point in giving away so many top prospects or stars just to get a guy that may win you another 5 or 6 games this season. And no disrespect, but the likes of McKoy, Snider, Lind etc aren't going to get anything superstar in the pitching area.

I trust what AA is doing, and would suggest to fans to look at the standings. We're still not far from a Wild Card spot.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 2:06 PM

Jays fans have to be patient, it's true and AA has to be very careful with any move he makes. However, fans [myself very much included] need to know that he's doing everything in his power to get a decent pitcher...a stop gap type isn't going to cut it.

I've said before that I think the time is now and that they should really go for it. I have no doubt that AA will do everything he can to ensure the Jays stay in the race.

All of that said, I suppose a lot of it hinges upon whether ownership will free up the dough for a good pitcher.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 2:20 PM

Sean O'Sullivan to the Jays...not the boxer.

Oops missed this one...how is that possible? http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news...s_tor&c_id=tor

10-14 6.13 ERA 34 GS

Actually, with those numbers he may be headed straight for LV. They're probably a little lean in the pitching department down there.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 2:05 AM

Nice to see the Jays score 11 runs without the aid of a home run and then Jose add that 12th "insurance run".

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 3:10 AM

Romero's having one of those seasons: 8-1 4.34.

He hasn't pitched very well but he's getting all the right bounces.

Bautista's really hitting his stride: .237 BA 23 HR 55 RBI.

He's tied with Adam Dunn for HRs and is second in RBI to Hamilton. Encarnacion isn't too far behind either.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2012, 10:58 AM

Shawn Hill signed by Jays

Yet another deal that fell below the radar. Here are Hill's career numbers: 9-18 4.74. I guess they'll start him in AAA and see how he does.

For those who don't know, he's Canadian [from Georgetown] and was a pretty decent prospect coming up through the Expos organisation. I don't remember all the details of his career but I seem to recall him having injury issues. He's had some success at the Major League level but he's one of those guys who's too good for AAA but not quite good enough for the big time. Anyway, we'll see how he does at Las Vegas.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 3:04 AM

I didn't see the game tonight but Cecil's numbers suggest he pitched quite well: 6IP 1ER. Thank God. It looks like a position in the rotation is his for the taking. Let's hope he continues to do well.

Rasmus is swinging a hot stick: .258 13 41. He's starting to creep up the leader board in RBIs. I think he's in the top-15 now. What a pleasant surprise he's been the last few weeks.

Jays will go for the sweep tomorrow. However, with Chavez (0-0 8.22) going against Buehrle (5-8 3.82) it won't be easy. It'll be interesting to see how Chavez recovers from that rough first outing. It may have been a case of serious jitters as it was the first MLB start of his career (6-10 5.50).

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 12:14 PM

I think it's safe to say the Chavez-Coello era is over.

Lind is back! He hit .395 with 8 HR and 29 RBI in 31 games at LV. They sent Cooper the other way which I'm not terribly happy about. I think he deserves more of a chance than that. Anyway, I'm not a coach so I'm not sure what the whole story is.

So, is Lind back up because of his play at AAA or is this to shop him as potential trade bait? It would be hard to get value for him at LV, it's true. It'll be interesting to see how he does after that little break.

The Jays are hangin' in there which is more than admirable all things considered. However, they now have four teams separating them from the 2nd Wild Card spot, two of which being Tampa and Boston.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto