HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 8, 2018, 9:39 PM

Agree with your comments about increasing offices downtown, however just to clarify the Coop building in Stonebridge is the offices Saskatoon Co-op, while downtown is Federated Coop - two different entities. Saskatoon Coop’s Admin offices have never been downtown, they moved from the 2nd floor of the Ave C home centre.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 3:29 AM

I know that this idea may sound bazaar because this is Saskatoon.
The hotel is 17 floors
The condo is 20 floors
The east office tower is 13 floors
The north office tower is 22 floors

They should of combined the hotel and condo into one building and went 37 floors, and combined the 2 office towers into a 35 floor tower.

Now that would of really been an awesome sight.

Saskatoon is not a small City. It's time we had a 30+ floor development.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh953 View Post
Agree with your comments about increasing offices downtown, however just to clarify the Coop building in Stonebridge is the offices Saskatoon Co-op, while downtown is Federated Coop - two different entities. Saskatoon Coop’s Admin offices have never been downtown, they moved from the 2nd floor of the Ave C home centre.
They are very different entities.

Federated is the wholesale supplier to all the Co-op stores in Western Canada. They also own the oil refinery in Regina and an assortment of other business.

Saskatoon Co-op is the local co-op in the city that owns the co-op stores and gas stations in the city. They build in Stonebridge because they own that parcel of land. So they built the retail store, gas station and offices on the same land. I don't think they are leasing that building from anyone.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 12:42 AM

Jan 12, 2018 Pictures

^^^^ I think the windows on the west side of the hotel are looking good. The east side hotel windows not quite as good.

^^^^ They poured the condo 15th floor and columns this week. There have been lots of carpenters on site all week, but the cranes and excavators were not running on Thursday or Friday. Looks like the beginnings of a construction elevator on the condo 4th floor.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 2:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Went for a walk with my dog and family around River Landing in +2 chinook temps through the downtown today, only place that made me feel uncomfortable was around the lighthouse which could easily be improved with more funding. Saskatoon’s downtown has such a homie feel. With the new people moving into The Banks and about to be moving into River Landing, I just feel like downtown is on the verge of exploding with new condo’s. It’s just way too beautiful not to invest in. Way more beautiful than downtown Toronto with the current Blizzard and -30 temps they’re expieriencing. So many more opportunities to exemplify the river and turn it into a true winter city.
I couldn't agree with you more, Saskatoon really is a year round city, Summers are beautiful with festivals and activity along and in the river with seadoos, kayaks and rowers & people on the beaches right downtown.
Fall colors with the trees and festivals, like Nuit Blanche last day of September this past Autumn was gorgeous.
Winter with beautiful winter blanket of snow, just enough to make it look really festive without melting too much each chinook but not so snow much like down East has each year. Spring is probably my least favourite time of year because it does remind me of the mucky freeze/thaw cycle that blows off of lake Ontario in Toronto.

I look forward to see more new projects like Riverlanding, including the one they are planning on Broadway too now and the Farmers Market area near The Banks. I wasn't quick enough for the #1 Riverlanding building next to our city's beautiful new Art Gallery, but I'll definitely be looking to buy one of the condos in the new projects that come along near by.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 6:49 PM

For 40 years the sheep have ruled
Saskatoon; there have been no rams.
Then one came and made the new art gallery
to the negative baas of the sheep,
which included old mayors.

Now Saskatoon's on the to do list
of many minds from so far away.
All the f'n sheep are getting so proud
and combing their fleece, probably.

So here we are at River Landing,
Rams landing on their feet, proudly.
Mates, you deserve it, this beautiful success.
A small plug to stop the sprawl
an alternative for better living.

The hotel should top out in early February.
Maybe the red crane will shimmy over to the new hole.
Looking forward to some hotel skin,
Applied before I grow old.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 11:42 PM

I've lived here for almost 40 years also.
I think that Saskatoon is a very nice city, with lots of potential to be even better.
I've always dreamed for our downtown to grow and develop, but for some silly reason, everything here takes way too long.
I strongly believe that we need to stop building new neighborhoods farther and farther away. We need to build condos along streets like 8th Street and circle Drive.
The new condos just completed at the corner of 8th Street and ,Moss Ave is a good example. This could very well been a 15 story high-rise development, but instead what we have is four 3 story condos that don't really add that much as far as architecture to the city.
There are places on 8th that are right now available for development, and our city hall needs to promote mix use high-rise developments there instead of putting up roadblocks.
Broadway also should have more high-rise developments. Nothing wrong with a nice 20 story condo.
The LUX on Broadway should of been a 20 story high-rise. Very unfortunate our city residents are afraid of tall buildings.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR200 View Post
I've lived here for almost 40 years also.
I think that Saskatoon is a very nice city, with lots of potential to be even better.
I've always dreamed for our downtown to grow and develop, but for some silly reason, everything here takes way too long.
I strongly believe that we need to stop building new neighborhoods farther and farther away. We need to build condos along streets like 8th Street and circle Drive.
The new condos just completed at the corner of 8th Street and ,Moss Ave is a good example. This could very well been a 15 story high-rise development, but instead what we have is four 3 story condos that don't really add that much as far as architecture to the city.
There are places on 8th that are right now available for development, and our city hall needs to promote mix use high-rise developments there instead of putting up roadblocks.
Broadway also should have more high-rise developments. Nothing wrong with a nice 20 story condo.
The LUX on Broadway should of been a 20 story high-rise. Very unfortunate our city residents are afraid of tall buildings.

i agree with you to a certain point, im all for tall towers but i dont think 20 storeys on broadway ave is the way to go. the corner lot by the bridge where Urban Capital has their 2nd project proposal going would be the only place on broadway id go over 10-12 storeys. me and the store manager for the EF store on broadway always imagined two mid rise towers on the EF lot/old RBC lot with a skywalk connecting the two. with commercial retail below and condos up to 10 storeys above. but one can dream right.

as for 8th street, i guess it depends on the floorplate size? 15 storeys could be 40m-60m, and that 20 m height is a big difference in some areas. id like to see towers on 8th street too, but 15 storeys? ahh....i dont know,it would have to be at the right spot, and only 1-2. maybe more 15-20 storey towers at like a mall area? maybe a few along 22nd closer to downtown? old bonanza lot would be a committment to our infill if the city looked at that as a potential residential parcel.

i think maybe targeting our malls or areas around them would be a great start?the mall where Jysk on 8th st is would be a good parcel to crush down and re-develop into a couple mid rise towers. this shouldve been discussed in the Stoon construction III...lets continue this talk there lol.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 6:17 PM

Busy Saturday installing forms for condo 16th floor and hotel 14th floor (which is the top floor according to the latest renderings).

Also digging away on Saturday. They were also setting up floodlights... I think they worked well into the darkness Saturday night. I must say these buildings are rising faster than I though they would. I figured they would top out in early May based on the first few floors. Its gonna be a lot sooner than that.

I am thrilled to hear Urban Capital is considering a project at the top of the Broadway Bridge. Given that, I would be very surprised if they also did a project on parcel D/E... unless the new project sells as well as 1RL. Even then I think it would several years out. Maybe another developer will step up.

Sat. Jan 13 2018:

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 3:21 PM

^^Awesome first pic there!
Last floor. Walls for the 14th, roof and mechanical still to come!

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jan 15, 2018 at 3:35 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 3:20 PM

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 4:32 PM

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:39 PM

Drove by site at 7:45am this morning and there were 4 semi-type dump trucks waiting to be loaded with the backfill. Work was well underway there....they must start shortly after 7am??

I have to say the overall progress of this site has moved along quite quickly. The "dig" for the office tower is making good progress.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:41 PM

I also drove by the site and noticed they have 3 diggers in the hole. they are making good progress esspecially in that southwest corner

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:03 PM

Yes and once again Alt thanks for the pictures, that angle showing the Art gallery beside it will be interesting when this is done

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:40 PM

Not specifically River Landing related, but when driving by the site recently, I noticed how far the S-E corner of the Remai gallery extends out over the roundabout encircling the Prairie Winds poles. Enough that they have a low clearance warning on 2nd Ave southbound near the north end of the Persephone lobby.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR200 View Post
I know that this idea may sound bazaar because this is Saskatoon.
The hotel is 17 floors
The condo is 20 floors
The east office tower is 13 floors
The north office tower is 22 floors

They should of combined the hotel and condo into one building and went 37 floors, and combined the 2 office towers into a 35 floor tower.

Now that would of really been an awesome sight.

Saskatoon is not a small City. It's time we had a 30+ floor development.
There is a maximum height limitation on this site of 95m - that's 30 stories for condo or 24 stories for Office. The North tower will likely max out the height allowance on the site.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakstudio View Post
There is a maximum height limitation on this site of 95m - that's 30 stories for condo or 24 stories for Office. The North tower will likely max out the height allowance on the site.
theres some mapping that i found online that has info for the max/min height is on the river parcels. the max height is 95m, lowest is 25m i think? i think if were to crack the 100m, its going to be in the core somewhere.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Not specifically River Landing related, but when driving by the site recently, I noticed how far the S-E corner of the Remai gallery extends out over the roundabout encircling the Prairie Winds poles. Enough that they have a low clearance warning on 2nd Ave southbound near the north end of the Persephone lobby.
Interesting. You can see it a bit in the drone shot--seems odd to have that side angle out like that when everywhere else is 90° corners and it covers part of the road.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
theres some mapping that i found online that has info for the max/min height is on the river parcels. the max height is 95m, lowest is 25m i think? i think if were to crack the 100m, its going to be in the core somewhere.
I am wondering how arbritrary that number 95 is. As in the original condo called for 95m so they just approved that as the height and it could be more but would have to go get it approved by city hall and the airport authority. Either way I woundnt pin your hopes getting anything taller than the already proposed 95m tower.

I am curious as to how much of the first office tower has been sold and who is going into it. they keep saying they will be coming out with that information soon but havent heard anything yet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan