HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

1213 Walnut in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 20, 2015, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aro1419 View Post
Apparently a Goldenberg representative said they intend to break ground later this year, and the owner of Fergie's mentioned mid-July. Looks like this one is revived from the dead yet again!

http://www.phillymag.com/property/20.../#more-2958264
Awsome! I will be so thrilled to see this finally start. The time is right for this one to get going with all the positive inertia in the surrounding blocks. Let's hope the Rep isn't just blowing smoke and that this really does get started in a couple of months.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 10:57 PM

Article from Philly Mag

Quote:
Thanks to the public application through the state’s Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program, we now know that Walnut 1213 Associated L.P. has applied for a $5 million grant for the project “dubbed 1213 Walnut Street Redevelopment.” Accompanying the grant application is a “Brief Project Description” field that tells us what the plans are going to be should this project get built:

Walnut 1213 Associates, L.P is proposing to redevelop a vacant, underutilized, surface lot at the 1200 block of Walnut Street in the Midtown Village submarket of Center City Philadelphia. Restoring the site to productive economic use, the urban-infill project, dubbed 1213 Walnut Street Redevelopment, will use LEED Silver design principles to construct a 26-story, mixed-use, high-rise tower.

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...gw93iEjHDgW.99

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Article from Philly Mag
Hmm, by "mixed use" are they just referring to the fact that there will be ground floor retail or has there been a change in this project? I'm not used to thinking of apartment towers with ground floor retail as mixed use; it should be a given in this part of Center City that the ground floor will be commercial.

Anyway, getting off the ground by the end of the year sounds good to me. I'm super excited to see this lot transform.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 3:15 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

This is definitely happening. Not dead at all.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch+Eng View Post
This is definitely happening. Not dead at all.
Same height/massing more or less?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 3:25 PM

All Summers' prior renders appear to be broken links now (at least they are for me), but I think this is the last known iteration of the project circa May 2014:

Last edited by summersm343; Sep 2, 2015 at 9:28 PM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 4:57 PM

Why on earth would a residential project at this location qualify for a $5 million RACP grant when 15 other apt projects at worse locations are moving ahead w/o grants? Greedy. I hope they don't get the grant, makes no sense.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 5:07 PM

Currently the project is to start September 29th. There also a couple modifications to the renderings posted. The height did not change though.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructStudent View Post
Currently the project is to start September 29th. There also a couple modifications to the renderings posted. The height did not change though.
Nice! I'm glad this one is actually happening after all this time.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Why on earth would a residential project at this location qualify for a $5 million RACP grant when 15 other apt projects at worse locations are moving ahead w/o grants? Greedy. I hope they don't get the grant, makes no sense.
The Goldenberg Grab? The Zuritsky Zipper?

These mainline, deep-connected Philly developers know how to shark the system better than any one. Why play by the rules when you invented them?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstructStudent View Post
That's terrific. Hope you're right, i live in the neighborhood

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 9:29 PM

Glad this is going to be moving forward

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 10:43 PM

Wow, great day, hearing that this is moving forward and learning that we should be hearing about the 1911 Walnut development soon. Add in the Pearl project at 15th and Walnut, and FMC, there's a lot of development happening along Walnut Street!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPenn18 View Post
Wow, great day, hearing that this is moving forward and learning that we should be hearing about the 1911 Walnut development soon. Add in the Pearl project at 15th and Walnut, and FMC, there's a lot of development happening along Walnut Street!
And Chestnut and Market and Broad!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 12:52 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKatzPhillytoParis View Post
Same height/massing more or less?
Same Height. It appears to be in the ~290' range.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 2:47 PM
BANNED

Look forward to this one.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch+Eng View Post
Same Height. It appears to be in the ~290' range.
Awesome! Great to have seemingly accurate, straightforward information from you and corroboration from ConstructStudent.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 3:29 PM

I know we all want more height east of Broad. When viewing from due north or south, you can visibly see only three significant towers, Aramark, PSFS, and the St. James - everything else is just "noise".

Now we can look forward to East Market and 1213 Walnut, both around 300 feet. I hope they'll make a decent impact on the skyline. For comparison's sake, the somewhat recently built Penn Medicine tower on 8th and Walnut is about 250 ft but doesn't make much of an impact from afar.

East Market will make its biggest impact on the street. But do you think, at about 300 feet, it will help fill in the gap here? What about 1213 Walnut?

Anyone want to take a stab at a rendering from the stadiums?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
East Market will make its biggest impact on the street. But do you think, at about 300 feet, it will help fill in the gap here? What about 1213 Walnut?

Anyone want to take a stab at a rendering from the stadiums?
Minimal impact. East Market will be in front of Aramark from that angle.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2015, 4:52 PM

In all honesty, I don't care that much about how much of an impact this will make on the skyline from afar. It's going to add a great deal of vibrancy and street presence. The new Penn Medicine building at 8th and Walnut is a good comparison. You can't see it much from far away, but if you are close to 8th and Walnut it really stands out. It also adds a lot of vitality to the corner it was at (I guess coupled with the changeover and renovation of the old Robins Diamond spot) which makes that intersection feel 100 times better than it did a few short years ago.

At the moment, I'm not as impressed with the look of this one as I am with 8th and Walnut, but it still looks like it could be quit nice if they use good materials. It will definitely make its presence known if you're in the neighborhood of 12th and Walnut.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive