HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 3:07 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 3:28 AM
BANNED

Looks good, especially the signage.

https://twitter.com/SportManitoba/st...300992/photo/1

Old Posted Apr 24, 2017, 4:56 AM

Even though it's a shame it doesn't do much for the pedestrian experience, it does have a massive visual impact from Main and coming off the Disraeli. Add in the future Science Gallery (if PCs don't can it) and that area will be wholly different.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 8:58 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

was walking past 98 market last night u can see they have started doing brick work where the parking will be covering over the cinder blocks with dark grey black brick also see allot of insulation on this building nice to see its being done defiantly a long term investment the way its being built nice to see. also noticed that the walls have bump outs around the ac units the depth of brick so no stucco on this thing it seems

Old Posted Apr 25, 2017, 10:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Even though it's a shame it doesn't do much for the pedestrian experience, it does have a massive visual impact from Main and coming off the Disraeli. Add in the future Science Gallery (if PCs don't can it) and that area will be wholly different.
Well, in all fairness, it was built when the pedestrian experience was not at the forefront, oh wait...😝

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Well, in all fairness, it was built when the pedestrian experience was not at the forefront, oh wait...😝
The building was constructed on a dead end wastle land of a site beside a noisy freeway! It has become quite an urban landmark! One could argue the pedestrian / bike experience with landscaping from the bridge down to Waterfront is one of the most visually interesting urban experiences...

The new stairway to the Waterfront North River Walk at the foot of Gomez offers one of the best downtown riverviews any where. These are great pedestrian experiences...

Hopefully a few more interesting businesses find their way to the area joining Peg, the maybe new vodka distillery and one more brewery in the works...

It's really coming along. Who would of imagined the change even 5 years ago...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:12 AM

Did a restaurant crawl through the exchange with an old friend who is working in Ottawa right now about two weekends ago and he said something similar. It had been 5 or 6 years since he had been in the area and he could not believe how different it felt. It obviously looked similar but he said the feeling of the area is so much better.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:14 AM

Obviously there is still much to be done and improved. Not trying to sound celebratory or anything. Just thought it might be interesting to give a view from someone who hadn't seen it in so long.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
The building was constructed on a dead end wastle land of a site beside a noisy freeway! It has become quite an urban landmark! One could argue the pedestrian / bike experience with landscaping from the bridge down to Waterfront is one of the most visually interesting urban experiences...
While sure there may not be much to worry about on the Alexander side, thinking about the future of Pacific Avenue, which is completely blocked from the freeway, would have been nice.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:21 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Well, in all fairness, it was built when the pedestrian experience was not at the forefront, oh wait...
It is a shame but the design was to have an underground parkade with the gym at grade but there is a fibre optic cable under the site that serves all of downtown. It would have cost something like a million dollars to move. That's why the parkade is enclosed but at grade. There are Windows into the gym at the second level for the entire length so hopefully that will help. It was done on a shoestring. I'm actually pleasantly surprised how well it came out. It will bring a lot of activity to that part of the Exchange. Hopefully it becomes a catalyst for more than just places for visitors to park.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:24 AM

Definitely agree it looks nice and aesthetically fits in with the area, and will be a big benefit.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:27 AM
BANNED

True. The new science gallery building, plus the planned parkade behind (?) as well as the redevelopment of the pump house will fill up this area. Main Street needs a lot of private investment, so hopefully we will see some new restaurants, etc.

The potential:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/590...367094!6m1!1e1

http://i.imgur.com/OynOphs.jpg

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:10 AM

Yeah I'm really curious to see if anything comes out of what appeared to be a pedestrian street between the Manitoba Museum and future Science Gallery.

Anyone know who owns this parking lot? Doesn't seem to be any hourly signs, does it belong to a nearby office? With the pawn shop now closed it'd be awesome to see some development on that corner.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:26 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yeah I'm really curious to see if anything comes out of what appeared to be a pedestrian street between the Manitoba Museum and future Science Gallery.

Anyone know who owns this parking lot? Doesn't seem to be any hourly signs, does it belong to a nearby office? With the pawn shop now closed it'd be awesome to see some development on that corner.
the chinies restraunt owns it

the buildings for sale beside it as just the buildings not the land witch seems weird and the realstate agent is a flipping idiot

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
It is a shame but the design was to have an underground parkade with the gym at grade but there is a fibre optic cable under the site that serves all of downtown. It would have cost something like a million dollars to move. That's why the parkade is enclosed but at grade. There are Windows into the gym at the second level for the entire length so hopefully that will help. It was done on a shoestring. I'm actually pleasantly surprised how well it came out. It will bring a lot of activity to that part of the Exchange. Hopefully it becomes a catalyst for more than just places for visitors to park.
I walked by the building last night and it actually looks great. I noticed down-lighting about 3/4 the way up all along the south side. They weren't on yet, but should light the building up quite nicely.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:05 PM

I'm absolutely mortified to see what is planned for the triangular parcel of land at the intersection of Albert and Arthur Streets and Bannatyne Avenue. This intersection is the primary vista point from Market Square, the main public space in the Exchange. If we're going to keep destroying the Exchange District then Ottawa should rescind its designation as a National Historic District.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:15 PM
BANNED

What is planned?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
I walked by the building last night and it actually looks great. I noticed down-lighting about 3/4 the way up all along the south side. They weren't on yet, but should light the building up quite nicely.
Yeah, I see those in the photo. Should look good at night.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:29 PM

Quote:
What is planned?
The demolition of the current 1920s building on site, which was once a gas station and had been used recently as a restauant to be replaced by a glass box to be attached to the Western Building (1901) at 90 Albert Street. A complete disregard for the historical significance of the district and its aesthetics.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The demolition of the current 1920s building on site, which was once a gas station and had been used recently as a restauant to be replaced by a glass box to be attached to the Western Building (1901) at 90 Albert Street. A complete disregard for the historical significance of the district and its aesthetics.
That actually sounds awesome. The current use of the space always struck me as pretty underwhelming. I mean, the patio is nice, but it should be so much more for a signature corner like that.

In my view, contemporary architecture complements historical buildings quite nicely. The worst thing is faux historic design that makes the area feel like a theme park or stage set.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan